Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike's Journal

Formerly Gordo
    Coke- thanks man. Trying to get the basics down again and then work on some things.

Drew- I will do that. I think I am going to rotate my ME lower work. Deadlift variation, gm, squat variation, gm, repeat. That way I am still getting in a lot of GM work, but can work on the lifts too. What do you think? I am pretty lost with my lower work right now. I really need to work on the actual form for deads and squats, but I think I should be doing some good post chain work too.
    Height: 5'8" Weight: 218
    Current Maxes: Bench: 360 Deadlift: 365 Squat: 320

GMs are great to work in and do a lot of them. You should probably be training a heavy box squat for a max triple or single once every 8-12 weeks and the same with a full ROM deadlift. My standard (when I follow it) goes week 1: 3RM GMs; Week 2: 3RM or 1RM box squat; Week 3: 1RM concentric GM; Week 4: Deadlift variation; Deload on Week 5 and then come back to it.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

some solid work goin on in here man! real good stuff!
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Formerly Gordo
    Drew- I will follow closely to your schedule.

Goodie- Thanks man.

Formerly Gordo
    DE Bench

Speed bench
    185 x 3 for 9 sets (3 grips)

Kevin Benches
    185 x 25

One arm overhead cable extensions
    60 x 6
    60 x 6
    60 x 6

DB Skulls
    30 x 8
    30 x 8
    30 x 12

Pulldowns
    200 x 5
    200 x 5
    200 x 6

Light shoulder and RC work.

Decent enough. Shouldn't have done the Kev benches after speed work, but felt like doing them so I did. I really need to find a new gym. I am getting so pissed at the Y lately. 99% of the time people don't bother me, but the last few times I have been getting annoyed. Typical gym things, but they are driving me crazy. Just the wrong atmosphere for me. I need a hole in the wall gym with a lot of plates, the bare essentials for equipment, loud music and gym rats who just lift massive amounts of iron. I need to save my money up and build my own home gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gorton

Decent enough. Shouldn't have done the Kev benches after speed work, but felt like doing them so I did. I really need to find a new gym. I am getting so pissed at the Y lately. 99% of the time people don't bother me, but the last few times I have been getting annoyed. Typical gym things, but they are driving me crazy. Just the wrong atmosphere for me. I need a hole in the wall gym with a lot of plates, the bare essentials for equipment, loud music and gym rats who just lift massive amounts of iron. I need to save my money up and build my own home gym.
    Thats basically the gym I train at now.. save theirs not THAT many plates and you put up with the occasional cardio bunnie and curl jockeys curling in the squat rack.

If you block out everything but whats important (yoru lifting lol) then it wont be as hard.

Formerly Gordo
    Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    If you block out everything but whats important (yoru lifting lol) then it wont be as hard.
    Like I said, 99% of the time that is what I do. I have worked out at a dozen different gyms with the same things going on as now and it has never bothered me. Most of the time I don't even notice the other people and just do my thing, but today and the other day were that 1%. Just annoyed with the guys that sit on benches they aren't using and sneak in on the equipment I'm using and then sit there between sets. Tired of the guys that walk around the gym like they own it. Sick of guys sizing me up each time I walk into the gym. Just venting. . Didn't help that I was already in a bad mood and felt weak as hell.

That is so true, when you get to a certain level some of the other stuff in these facilities can get annoying but you have no recourse on getting sized up though big guy, afterall you're 220lbs at 5'8, lol...nice job nonetheless.
    Last edited by Coke; 07-03-2006 at 06:18 AM.

Formerly Gordo
    Coke- I was just annoyed that day. If people want to eyeball me, cool. I don't go there to make friends, I go to lift. Most of the people in there do a set, talk for ten minutes, do another set and then talk some more. That's great as far as I'm concerned. It's just the last few times the same two or three guys try to stare me down when I walk in. I don't know them and it is comical because they are all older guys. They like to act like it is their gym and their equipment and they are just letting everyone else use it. I have a few things at my dads office building and I think I am going to start doing some days there. Just one day a week maybe, to get away from the Y.

Formerly Gordo
    I have decided that I need to start dropping some weight this week. I want to go to atleast one competition and I would like to be 198 for it. Work has been great and I have been busting my @ss each day. That alone will help, but I have also cleaned up my eating. I am hoping to drop 1 - 2 pounds a week. I am going to weigh myself each Monday and will change things as needed. I started off at 224 the first day of work. Today I am at 221. A little more than I wanted to drop, but that's alright for the first week. If my strength starts to suffer too much I will take a step back.

Sweet plan to cut down moderately - even 1/2lb lost per week is nice. Maybe U can find a new gym and leave the Y.
    Last edited by Coke; 07-04-2006 at 09:48 AM.

Formerly Gordo
    CoCoa- I would love to find a new gym, but the Y is it in my area. Would have to drive an hour one way for anything better. It really isn't bad, it was just one of those days. Just need to remember that I am there for me, not there for anything else.

Formerly Gordo
    Went to my old high school to run the weightroom for the football program. Figured I would lift, but I had to correct so many mistakes I couldn't. I really didn't want to just let the younger kids go and have them doing things wrong, so I just watched everyone lift. Very low turnout. I think there were about six Varsity kids. There were more Modified than anything else. Very discouraging and I imagine the rest of the summer is going to be that way. Did start to close grip, but had to go help with the field work so I just did a few light sets. Going to have to figure out a real routine this week and follow it religiously. Work has been going late and atleast ten hour days six days a week. Great job, but I am spent at the end of the day. I hope in a few more weeks I get my conditioning back up and have more energy at night.

solid pulldowns Mike! sweeet stuff!
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Formerly Gordo
    F'ed up day. Worked 13 hours and by the time I got home it was too late to go to the gym. Moved a few thousand pounds of brick, so that is something. Feel beat up right now from work and I am just taking the next few days off. Also thinking about just lifting at 5:30 in the morning so I know I get it done. Not really sure right now what I am going to do. I can already see a difference in my arms from work. They are starting to lean out. I know my strength has dropped and I need to eat more during the day.

Goodwinm- thanks man. Pulldowns have been getting better over the last few weeks.

What exaclty do you do, if its moving bricks all day then freakin props to you.. Id never do that job.

Doing the early morning sessions may very well work for you, it is gonna take effort at first to set the groove though...there is a real big guy at my gym I've known for a while who thrives on it now, he claims his more recent gains have come from doing the early AM work plus eating and drinking mixes/water all day.
    Last edited by Coke; 07-07-2006 at 05:26 AM.

Formerly Gordo
    Irl- I build patios, walls and that kind of thing for a landscaping company. I am the new guy so I get to move the brick when it's needed. That's not all I do, but it is a big part. Lots of shoveling, measuring, tamping and raking too. Physical labor all day, but that's what I want to be doing right now.

Cocoa- I would have to get up 45 minutes earlier than I do now. I have never done well lifting in the morning, but that looks like my best bet. By the time I get home I am spent and want to see the baby for an hour before he goes to bed. My gym is closed by the time I could get there. Early nights are probably in my future.

Formerly Gordo
    Dropped three more pounds. Down to 218. Still feel weaker, but at this point the weight loss trumps strength gain. Tired of having a big belly and getting out of breath when I do things. Going to restart my cardio and most likely change up my lifting. I think I am going to go back to a HST workout. Made great gains on it before and lost weight. I like being able to move big weight, but I have to get in better shape now before I am really overweight. Still looking to add strength to my lifts, just in a different manner. Will most likely hit the gym later today, or tomorrow. With HST I can go to three days a week and have a much easier time getting to the gym to actually lift.

Glad to see you reassess things, having a plan and following through is really all that's needed to get the job done.

Learning as I progress
    hey gorton, just sayin hello. I read you have a job, a baby and still workout, I admire that. Atleast I know it can be done, when school starts Ill be juggling a job, school and working out. So its nice to know it can be done.

Well gl with everything, and workin out in the mornin isnt too hard, I got used to it after my first week. So ill be back. Keep going with eveything.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Computer is messing up. Had to reset the whole thing, still screwed up. Can't remember my password, so I am using this name again. Can't even get a new password for michael gorton because the email I used is no longer in use. This will be my last post for a few weeks while the computer gets fixed, atleast presario is paying for everything to get done. Haven't been to the gym in about a week, starting back up tonight.

Coke- Thanks a lot man. I really like Westside and feel like I am making good gains, but right now I need a different approach. Atleast until the summer is over and then I will go from there.

Con- Thanks for dropping in. I'm sure you will be able to manage your schedule when school starts back up. I just started my Master's program and can't wait to be done with it. Good luck.
    Last edited by Mike G; 07-12-2006 at 07:04 PM.

Workout

Flat Bench
    275 x 8

Cleans
    185 x 8

Squat
    185 x 8

Standing militaries
    185 x 6

Barbell Rows
    225 x 8

Shrugs (straps)
    405 x 8

Pulldowns
    200 x 8

Dips
    BW + 60 x 8

DUN- done

Happy with some, unhappy with others. Overall decent. Bench felt heavy, especially in my shoulders. First time doing heavier cleans in a long time but they felt really good. Was out of breath at the end of the set. Just a starting point with squats. I am walking a fine line between going too light and doing enough to make gains without getting too sore. This was too light so I did them rapid fire without resetting at the top. My legs always get fried when I go heavy and I can't afford to not be able to walk for work. The rest of the workout was decent. I have decided to start lifting when I run the weightroom for football. There are other coaches there who can watch the kids when I am doing a set. I was still able to catch some bad form and correct it, so I don't see a big problem with lifting then. That way I can still sleep until 6 and spend time on off nights with the baby. Most likely my last post until I get my computer back, about to be put into the box. Hope everyone gets strong as hell in the next two weeks and stays healthy.

The master's program means big money later on, hang tight with it Mike. Smart way to train while you're already in the weightroom that way, it's too convenient not to - gonna keep getting better all the time dude.
    Last edited by Coke; 07-13-2006 at 06:11 AM.

nice full body run through mike
    2000 or bust