The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mike's Journal

Nice session there Mike. Keep lifting heavy!

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

At my parents because I am psyched! and wanted to post my workout.

Deadlifts
    275 x 8
    315 x 1
    375 x 1 (PR)
    400 x 1 (PR)

DB Rows
    100 x 8

Good Mornings
    135 x 8

Close Grip
    225 x 8

Side Laterals
    35 x 8

So pumped about Deadlifts. Did my 8 rep set and decided to do 315 to see how my speed was. That felt heavy, but I wanted a PR. Hit 275 for a ten pound PR. That was light and I added some more weight. Looked at the bar and I had 395 on. Had to find some 2.5's and nailed 400. I know it's not big weight, but it's big for me. Everything felt smooth. My form is much better now with Sumo's and this is the second time I have done them that way.

Coke- You're right as usual, way too easy to lift when I am there and this is a much better gym for me.

Stump- Thanks a lot bro.

Drew- That 400 was for you. I know it's not Drew heavy, but's it's Mike heavy and that's all I've got right now. Still looking to get stronger, but I need to do it a little bit differently right now and hopefully drop some weight at the same time.

Mike heavy is good enough. 2 prs is great by me man. Good work.

Some solid pogression in here man throughout. Stick with it dude!
    225 x 8 on BB rows. Good stuff man.
    super PR on the deads aso!
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Proud of you big Mike, pulled off the hot deads pr at 400lbs.
    Last edited by Coke; 07-16-2006 at 04:50 AM.

Learning as I progress
    Gj on breakin 400. I wanna see my max soon, so its nice to see pr's.
    Complication breeds desperation.

At my parents again. My computer was sent back to me and now doesn't work at all. Getting fixed Monday. Have worked out three times since last post. All good workouts, still messing with my routine. Last nights workout went like this

Deadlifts

135 x 8
    225 x 8
    275 x 4
    315 x 1
    375 x 1
    405 x 1 (PR)

Incline Bench
    225 x 12

Barbell Rows
    245 x 8

Squats
    225 x 6

That was it. 405 was tough and I won't max them again for a month atleast. Everything else was smooth and felt good. Surprised myself on inclines and how light 225 felt so I just kept going. Worked a lot this week (about 60 hours) and it has been hot in NY so I am keeping my sessions quick and low volume. I am going to start alternating two full body workouts this week. While my workouts have been good, I have been losing focus on my routine when I watch the football players and end up missing lifts I had planned on doing. I also set a new current PR on bench this week at 370. Still 30 away from my all time, but it's getting closer.

Drew, Goodwinm, Cocoa, Con
    Thanks a lot guys. Nice to pop in here and see support.

Way to go on the DL PR. Something about 4 plates just makes you feel like you're starting to hit the big boy weights.

Doing super with your deads and bench bro...tweaking the program will work, the whole body thing ain't bad at times.
    Last edited by Coke; 07-24-2006 at 05:27 AM.

nice man 4pps is a huge milestone
    2000 or bust

Drew- 4 pps was nice. Really feel like I am starting to break into deadlifts. Form feels much better and I think it is my new favorite.

Cocoa- This will be a month long experiment in my training. I have done HST before and had great results. Albeit, I tweaked the workload and was going closer to failure than they recommend. I am debating two different workouts and only lifting twice a week. All compound lifts and heavy each workout. Curious what will happen. I have always been lucky and gained strength "easily" and want to see what this will do.

Stump- Definitely felt nice to get 4 plates.

Workout

Clean and Press
    185 x 4

Squat
    225 x 10

Bench
    225 x 20

Horrible week in terms of lifting. Still figuring out what I am going to do. I think I am going to follow the HST workout closely for the next month and then get back on Westside. Squats felt really good for the first time in a long time. Bench surprised me. Just a quick workout.

Anything we do with these weights beats doing nothing at all...session was basic but looks good Mike, stay on it man.

No excuses, haven't worked out since last week. Did get busted up last weekend at a party. Boozed up all day and then went back to a friends house. Started wrestling with a very good wrestler. His brother jumped in and I had them both tied up. Next thing I know I am in the air and then I see the patio. A hard concrete patio, face first with a loud thump. Push one kid off me and start grappling with the other one. Then I see the blood on the patio. I think to myself, self where is this blood coming from. Then I see my shirt is covered in blood. Then a girl hands me a towel and tells me to put it to my nose. Haven't had a bloody nose in a long time. Busted my lip open, real wide. Took a few minutes to stop the bleeding. Took a few more to calm down and not kill the brother. The next morning I find the real problem. No skin on my knee. To the point that it still hasn't scabbed over and looks like I am going to have a nice scar. The next night I get the lowdown from another guy who was there. Tells me that me and one kid are messing around and then the brother jumped in. First kid picked me up in a firemans carry and was putting me back down when the brother slipped and fell. I had him in a headlock and we all went down. As I fell I pulled his head out of the way and tried to brace myself, but he had my arm. He told me that night he had wrist control, almost broke him in half. Basically I ate the patio because I pushed him out of the way. He still hit his head, but I wasn't on top of it. I guess it was really loud and no one knew how I got back up. Fun stuff. Did bench tonight, not a great effort. Time to get myself back in gear and lifting heavy again.

Bench
    275 x 8
    315 x 1
    345 x 1
    375 x miss

The 375 was a bomb. Took too long between sets. Arms flared too much and I got buried. Expected it after I unracked it, but I already had it over me. Figured I might as well try. Not posting for awhile, but I will be reading the site. I came to some realizations the last few days about lifting and my effort. I realized that I am wasting any potential I have in powerlifting. I lift less now than I did at 19 when I was forty pounds lighter. Now, I'm not saying I have the natural talent to be the best powerlifter ever, but I know I have some natural ability that I am not using. I have always been very lucky and gained strength quickly (compared to most) when I work at it. My goal isn't to win competitions, but to achieve the most I can from lifting. I realized that I preach to the kids I coach about lifting and then sit my lazy butt in the chair at night. I realized that I am getting more and more out of shape and I don't want to be the fat dad that can't play with his kid in a few years. I am using that as motivation to hit my potential and be proud of what I have done, instead of disappointed with my total lack of effort. Thanks to eveyone who has posted here, it really mean a lot.
    Last edited by Mike G; 08-04-2006 at 08:54 PM.