The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Road To Success - A Journal of Progress

What's up, everyone?

My name is Matt, but everyone calls me Cage. I've got goals, and I plan on damn sure meeting them. I'm 17 (will be 18 in August) and uhm.. I was led to this board by two different people. If you can hold back the laughter, I'll explain that I have dreams an aspirations of becoming a wrestler. Yes, WWE and TNA style. It's been my dream since birth, so I want to chase it. At the moment, I am in good shape -- at least I think. I haven't been on a REAL scale in quite some time, as I don't count bathroom scales as being quite acurate, but I am pretty sure I weight about 180.

My goal, is to reach 210/215 by the end of the year. I can't join a gym or get a membership until August when I turn 18, so for the time being, all I've got are a couple of dumbells and God's good graces. I look forward to learning as much as I can from you wise people here at WBB, and look forward to sharing my progress with you once I get fully underway, which should be right now.

It's 5:14 am PST on June 11, 2006, and I am about to hit some cardio. I haven't ran a mile in God knows how long, but I plan to run as much as I can, come back home, lift my dumbells until I get tired, eat breakfast, and then hit the pool to swim some laps. I'll probably throw in some crunches, and pushups in there, but for now, this is a start. I'd like to get any suggestions on what I can add with what I've got, and recommendations for diet, workout routine, or anything that can help me acheive my goal. But for now, I am off for my run. When I come back home, I'll drop a little description of what I did to a tee.

Danke,

[Matt Hullum]
    Last edited by Cage Classic; 06-11-2006 at 06:17 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hi cage, whats good bro? dont be ashamed if thats your dream, because you can do it! the running and swimming is good to get in shape but remember, it burns calories, and bulkin up requires alot of food and heavy lifting, so for now try to get in some pushups, and if you have something to hang from hit up some pullups also! how heavy are your dumbells? you can get a full body workout in there! i can help you with that if you would like.

best of luck dude

-rob
    2000 or bust

Wannabebig Member
    Definately. I need all the help I can get, and all the suggestions possible. Right now, I've got 30 pound dumbells. It's crap, I know. Horrible start, but I plan on getting some more (heavier) dumbells very soon from my sporting goods store.

I just got back from swimming about 20 minutes ago. I began jogging, but stopped by my pool and swam for about 15 minutes, and then came home. I feel like a failure for not swimming longer, but I suppose it works. Right now, I am taking a rest to think about what I want to do next. My starting focus right now is to gain a nice set of abs, and make my biceps/triceps look nicer. But maybe I can get some suggestions of where I should start and how.

ok, i would start with those dumbbells and performing basic exersizes to get the body used to it.

Biceps - hammer curls, basically hold it like a hammer and curl it lol
    Triceps - 1 arm overhead extention or two if 30 is to heavy
    Chest - dumbbell bench press if you have something to lay on
    Shoulders - shoulder press just sitting whereever and pressing over head
    Back - 1 arm row, ill give you a link for this
    Legs/Back - perform deadlifts with the dumbbells

Sorry for no descriptions but heres a very good site with all of the exersizes..

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    2000 or bust

Wannabebig Member
    I can do that. What about adding this to the workout? It's a series of crunches.

(Upper Abdominals)
    Fisted Crunches
    Cross Arm Crunches
    Tuck Crunches
    Raised Leg Crunches

(Lower Abdominals)
    Bent Leg Raises
    Reverse Crunches
    Seated Leg Pull Ins
    Hip Thrusts

(Obliques)
    Cross Body Crunches
    Single Leg Raises
    Side Crunches
    Double Leg Raises

Would adding these be a good addition to the workout?

Wannabebig Member
    10:58pm - June 11, 2006

I'm sitting here drinking a gallon of water, resting after my workout. I tried to go at it a lot harder, but I suppose I need to start slow and work my way up to a longer/harder workout.

I worked my biceps, doing hammer curls as suggested to me, and I didn't count the reps because when I started, I was interrupted, so I just decided to go for about 15 minutes, 30 pound dumbells. Like I said, I haven't got much, but I plan to make the best out of what I do have until I get a membership at a gym.

For my chest, I did dumbell bench presses, but I didn't go very long because I felt ******ed. I don't have a lot of weight, and it just didn't feel right. I'll continue to do them, but I will be buying a bar soon (hopefully -- I am a penny pincher, but to achieve my goal, I've got to dish out the dough).

I worked on my shoulders doing military presses with my dumbells, 10 reps.

From there, I did 40 Fisted Crunches, 25 Cross Arm Crunches and 20 Tuck Crunches.

I didn't get to report anything from earlier in the day, but since I didn't sleep last night, I didn't get off to get any sleep until about 8 this morning, and I slept until 3:30. I ate two burritos with lots of cheese at around five, had some oatmeal at 9:30, and some yogurt after that. I got a late start on the food intake, I know, but I had to eat something.

Oh, and here's my calorie intake for the day:

Total: 1941

So here's day one -- complete. I'll be back tommorrow in the morning before I go to work. I'll post my breakfast report, and my workout. I am going to split the weights and crunches for before and after work.

- Cage

Wannabebig Member
    Right now, I am about to work out, but first, here's a few things I did today.

I woke up at noon because I didn't go to sleep until 6, so I got a good 6 hours of sleep, but I had to go to work at 1, so I didn't get a chance to work out because after showering and getting ready, it was time to go. So, when I got to work, I ate on my break. Not the healthiest meal -- McNuggets, fries and two double cheeseburgers, but meh -- I needed to eat something, and there wasn't anything healthy around me. Fast food at the mall = greasy. I put that away, and then I went to Dick's Sporting Goods, and bought a smartweight power tube. It was suggested to me, and it was cheap, so I figured I'd check it out. I'd seen people use them, and many have told me that they help the cause, so I figured -- why not?

I also stopped by GNC and bought some Nitrotech, whey protein. I've heard many say that this is a great way to increase protein/calorie intake, so I hopped on it immediately. When I got home, I ate a couple of burritos, and sat down and watched TV, and now I am about to workout.

Raised Leg Crunches
    Bent Leg Raises
    Reverse Crunches
    hammer curls
    dumbbell bench press

But I may cut back some of the crunches, and the hammer curls, and work with the powertube. I'll post exactly what I did a little later.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm not sure. I was told by my friend Jeff that all the direct ab work isn't all that good. He said dieting is the way to go to see the abs come in, but I am trying to bulk also. Is there a good way to gain decent ab development (i don't want an amazing 8 back, but i want something to show) and bulk at the same time without a massive cutting diet?

Wannabebig Member
    So what do you suggest I do? Not focus as much on the abs and just workout more for the rest of my body? If I do that, how will the abs gain definition?

Diet.

I'm sorry, but that's the way it works for abs, just like any other muscle. Work 'em hard and heavy in short, weighted sets, and diet to reveal them in their full glory.

Wannabebig Member
    Okay, so would it be smart to try and bulk, and then diet and cut to show better results, or diet to show results and then bulk...

... or diet while bulking (if that's possible)

Dieting while bulking is called "cutting".

Pick one and go with it. Maybe a little cutter with summer coming, then a bulk for the fall? It is, after all, the way of our people.

Hey buddy good start! Not so much ab work though, Builts right.

Since your up for suggestions, I say cut for the summer. Also its gonna be tough for you to gain much weight with such small dumbells. I would wait for gym membership in august, then bulk. Whens your b-day in august?
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Wannabebig Member
    I turn 18 in August 15th. There's a chance I will be able to get a membership before August. We'll see.

Nice, my b-days the end of august. Workon that membership, it will really help. Keep at it those results will come!
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Wannabebig Member
    Phew, whirlwind month and I've been somewhat sidetracked with my goals, but my head is back where it should be and I started on the right foot last night/this morning. As I type this, it's 4:30 am. I still haven't got that gym membership, and won't be able to get it until I turn 18 in August. You've gotta be 18 and have a debit card/credit card, and that = no for me. However, if I wanted to join now, it's 100 bucks flat out, plus the first 20 bucks for month one all up front, so I can wait a month.

My friend goes there, is 18, and has free gym passes, so I'll be going with him when he goes since I have to go with him. I went at about 11, and I ran for 15 minutes (1.3 miles) and then went to work on abs, and did 200 sit ups, then worked on both arms and legs on this nautilus equipment. Biceps, triceps and legs. Not much to report here really, but I wanted to resurrect this journal and get back to working on my goal.

I also have a question -- Right now, I weigh between 200 - 205 pounds. If I cut down to 180, started to get a little definiton showing, then bulk back to where I am now with muscle, generally speaking, how hard would that be?

Learning as I progress
    It takes some time to cut as well as to bulk. Its all about your preference. If you are comfortable with how you look(or are not concerned) then bulk and then do a slow cut to show off the results.

Also why 200 situps?!?!!? Do some weighed crunches or use a cable on the machines and tilt your head down and work the abs. Quality over quantity.

Also maybe post a pic so people can help you.

Gl and ill be back
    Complication breeds desperation.

Wannabebig Member
    Well, the sit ups, I should have said were crunches rather than sit ups. I got started, and felt good while doing them (rare) so I continued. Honestly, I want to be in good shape, but having a ripped 6 pack isn't what I am looking for. I would much rather have amazing arms, shoulders and chest than ripped abs. However, I don't want to have a gut either. I would much rather bulk with no cut than cut, then bulk again.

Learning as I progress
    Well I beleive weighted crunches are more effective for abs in general, and remember abs are diet, not the exercizes. So unless you are workin for endurance or strength in abs, you might want to reconsider.

If your worried about a a gut, go on a slow bulk(maximum of 500 cals over maintenance) and eat clean foods(no cookies, candy or junk too often).

Also pick a routine before you get your gym, youll have time to look through several and pick which one youll like the best.

Btw do you know ur bf %?
    Last edited by Con; 07-25-2006 at 06:14 AM.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't know my body fat. I suppose I need to get a good diet set out as well.

Hey Cage, if you really want to be 210/215 by the end of the year, I suggest you do a lot of reading bud. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll just be wasting your time.

Check this link out --> http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25

This routine should give you a good idea of the exercises you need to do, along with sets and reps. Also it's crucial that you learn the correct form for the exercises. And if I'm not mistaken, there's a link on page 2 or 3 that shows you the correct form for a LOT of exercises.

Also, you need to eat. There's a formula that gives you your maintenance calories, figure it out and add 500 calories a day to it in order to gain 1lb per week. Don't eat just crab food either! You need a gram of protein per lb, so if you weigh 185, you need 185 grams of protein a day. Get some good fats in your diet along with some fruits and vegtables.

It's not rocket science, but it does take some research and a hell of a lot of hard work. But, if you want it bad enough, you'll acheive your goals. Good luck!
    "The individual who goes the furthest is generally the one who is willing to do, dare and attempt new things. The sure thing boat never gets far from shore." - Dale Carnegie

"The most important quality is to live the life you want to have, not the life you have." - Dave Tate

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfullment to all he holds dear - is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle, victorious." - Vince Lombardi