The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Any advantage to doing 1 rep.

I seeing alot of XXXx1 in people signature.

IS there any benefit in doing 1 rep. I have to do 8 reps, 3sets of each excersize, I dont see any point in just doing one.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    No, there is no benefit. It's for bragging rights to show people what your 1 rep max is.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    No, there is no benefit. It's for bragging rights to show people what your 1 rep max is.
    Unless you're powerlifting... You can't walk into a competition without having handled heavy weight.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

That's because they're going for records and such.

Gamer/Lifter
    Just doing 1 rep and quitting isn't what you hsould do. Most poeple don't even just do 1 rep. A lot of them warm up then hit their 1 Rep max. 5x5 is good, so its 3 x 8
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

3:16

what is wrong with bragging?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy

IS there any benefit in doing 1 rep. I have to do 8 reps, 3sets of each excersize, I dont see any point in just doing one.
    depends on your goals. If you want to be strong. No harm in doing singles.
    if your purely wanting to get big, then your fine with out them.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Traing the CNS to allow your body to lift more. ME, RE and DE all do this.

Banned
    Although not nessacary to bodybuilders. Determining your one rep max once every six months can be fun and also informational. Lets you know how much stronger you've gotten.

Actually there's a huge benefit to everyone, including bodybuilders. It improves your absolute strength and teaches your body to recruit more fibres. I don't think I need to explain why more strength and more fibre recruitment is a benefit for anyone who steps in the gym.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Helps improve CNS recruitment and allows you to eventually move heavier weights quicker.

As a powerlifter, 1 rep is all I care about. Whatever it takes to get stronger on that 1 rep is what I'll do.

For any other lifter, like others have said, it's helpful for muscle fiber recruitment and CNS adaptation, but I also feel it's important to make lifting more fun. Everybody wants to see what their maximum strength is, so why not find out?

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

So are you guys saying next week I should go for 1 rep maxes to recruit more muscle fibers and what not?

Then do my regular routine then like a month later do 1 rep maxes again?

If so what's a good warmup for doing them?

If you're going for strength, nothing beats training around your 1 rep max.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by arya202
    So are you guys saying next week I should go for 1 rep maxes to recruit more muscle fibers and what not?

Then do my regular routine then like a month later do 1 rep maxes again?

If so what's a good warmup for doing them?
    Yes and no. Lifting at or near maximal loads will program your body to recruit more fibres, but it takes time. The numbers are arbitrary, but in a year you might go from 50% recruitment to 55% recruitment.

A lot of people max every month to guage where they are at, but how often and on what exercises really depends on your goals.

As for warmup, first increase your heart rate and temperature. Then gradually build up to your max. If you have no clue what your max is, start very light, do 1 rep, and add 10lbs each set. Next time you max, try to go heavier, but keep your sets around 8-10 with your last 1-3 sets at 90% or higher.
    Last edited by Anthony; 06-11-2006 at 12:42 PM.

I dont get it though, how does maxing make me stronger?? I dont really care bout the bodybuilding part, I just want to get strong.

I dont want to powerlift, I just want to make my boat move faster. I think Im gonna get more benefit out of doing reps/sets then powerlifting.

AT my age I gotta have the form more then the weights, Id rather do 8 clean and good reps then one sloppy max.

Wannabebig Member
    if my 1 rep max is 10kg, and yours is 8kg, that means i'm stronger than you. so if you constantly do say 2-3 reps of 8kg, your body will "recruit" more fibres? and ya get stronger.

btw i dun think doing 1 rep max will be sloppy. i think lifting 95% of your 1 rep max at say, 8 reps, i'm pretty sure my 3-4 rep will start to go haywire.

but i've rarely seen someone go 1rep max with bad form.

p.s dude, ya in adelaide? awesome. so am i.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Yes and no. Lifting at or near maximal loads will program your body to recruit more fibres, but it takes time. The numbers are arbitrary, but in a year you might go from 50% recruitment to 55% recruitment.
    Do you have any actual studies backing this information? I think 5% would be more than enough reason to work around a 1RM.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 06-12-2006 at 12:16 AM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    It makes you look cool loading lots of plates on the bar to execute a heavy single.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Do you have any actual studies backing this information? I think 5% would be more than enough reason to work around a 1RM.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=arbitrary

I dont get it though, how does maxing make me stronger?? I dont really care bout the bodybuilding part, I just want to get strong.

I dont want to powerlift, I just want to make my boat move faster. I think Im gonna get more benefit out of doing reps/sets then powerlifting.

AT my age I gotta have the form more then the weights, Id rather do 8 clean and good reps then one sloppy max.
    I think you misunderstand the concept. You don't do 1 max with crappy form and then call it a day. Take a look at some powerlifting routines or olympic lifting routines for a better understanding of all the aspects involved. They use various rep ranges to accomplish various goals. For the sake of simplicity - low reps build strength. Period. You can try to refute this claim, but you'll be arguing against every strength athlete in the world - not just powerlifters.

Do you want to get faster or stronger? They aren't necessarily the same.

And yes, form is more important than weight. No one argued that.

And to add onto Tony's comment; Any 1RM work is required to involve 3 lifts over 90% of the 1RM, this can be 3 x 95%, 1 x 90% - 1 x 95 - 1 x 90 etc. It makes effective use of the CNS and gives best gains for maximum strenf. Millitia tells you so.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k
    And to add onto Tony's comment; Any 1RM work is required to involve 3 lifts over 90% of the 1RM, this can be 3 x 95%, 1 x 90% - 1 x 95 - 1 x 90 etc. It makes effective use of the CNS and gives best gains for maximum strenf. Millitia tells you so.
    The 3 lifts at 90+% comes from Prilipin, was endorsed by Mel Siff, and is now widely acknowledged by the big-time power guys like Militia and Westside.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k
    And to add onto Tony's comment;
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony, yesterday afternoon
    Next time you max, try to go heavier, but keep your sets around 8-10 with your last 1-3 sets at 90% or higher.

I really shouldn't skim. Sorry little guy.