The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

smith machine,have no spotter!

today i have to work out chest but i have no partner,i usually always do freeweights but now i have to use the smith machine for chest. Is it true that smith machine dont work as good as free weights and doesnt put on muscle mass ?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i believe that it doesnt strengthen the stabilizers as much because its in a fixed motion.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Use dumbbells. Ask someone else to spot heavy sets.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    i plan on using both

most smiths also have a built in counter weight so the weight on the bar is actually less than what it would be free.
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe

Wannabebig Member
    do you think i can use the smith for muscle mass

Your gym doesn't have a power rack?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by lifting4life
    do you think i can use the smith for muscle mass
    You CAN exercise on a smith and gain muscle mass, sure. Personally I never use a spotter on BB bench unless going for a 1RM. I can guage my strength pretty well, and I can usually tell when I'm able to push out that last rep.

Edit: Good point, Paul. You can always bench in the rack.
    Last edited by Saint Patrick; 06-16-2006 at 03:55 PM.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    One day on the smith machine isn't going to kill you or hamper all that you've worked for.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Just do it without a partner.

If you go to failure or past failure everytime you shouldn't be.

I've experienced huge gains using a Smith machine. It isn't as good as a barbell but it's still effective. As stated, yes you lose working out some stabilizer muscles. In my previous gym (just switched today) I did Chest Tuesday and Fridays and Did Smith Machine flat dumbell incline on Tues. and Dumbell flat and Smith Machine Inclines on Friday. Worked good and I was able to get those stabilizer muscles. Now that I'll have a flat bench, I can go crazy.

Banned
    Yeah I also use the smith, but then again I use BB's as well as pec deck too. The Smith is OK, just not the best choice IMO.

-josh