Thread: If a male and female had the exact same lean body mass...

If a male and female had the exact same lean body mass...

Assuming they both used the same training routine, have been training for the exact same amount of time, did not use steroids, used the same supplements, had the exact same diet, would their total muscular force/strength/power.. (whatever...) be equal ?

Would they both bench press 150 lbs. both squat 200 lbs. deadlift 225 lbs. ? Or at least very close.

Don't know what got me to post this.. but I'm just curious lol.
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 06-16-2006 at 12:40 AM.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

No because the man would have likely started out stronger than the woman.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

The answer is may be and may be not. The main reason is that the male produces more testosterone. So if both have the same diet, have been training for the same amount of time, and so forth, the male would gradually outlift the female.

Any female who bp 150, squat 200 and dl 225 is awesome. Let's say (for the sake of my argument) the female takes 2 - 4 years to get those number. Any man who still get close to those number after the same amount of time must be doing something wrong IMOH.

I've trained almost 5 years. The heaviest I've squatted is 185, I do rack pulls with 225 and RDLs with 165, and I'm not sure of my bench because of my rotator cuff, but I could probably squeak out at least one rep with a plate a side. So far, I've only ever seen one woman at my gym out-lift me, and I trained her. (And she's 13 years younger than me!)

I'd be shocked as hell to see my numbers go up by more than 15% in the next two years. If I ever manage to do a proper squat with two plates a side, I'll be able to die happy.

This is an interesting question. I'll be interested to see if anyone has any studies to post up.

I think testosterone is "almost" always going to be the winner in this case.

But there is always individual differences and so you can't speculate as to what will happen. You will often hear people quote that women of the same weight as men will have pretty equal lower body strength but considerably less upper body strength (and i'm sure they can back these numbers up with stats) Yet my girlfriend is considerably stonger in upper body than in lower. IMO there is too much individual variability to really worry about such a thing.
    Last edited by smalls; 06-16-2006 at 01:10 AM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

my gf weighs the same as me give or take a few pounds. She is very strong, especialy in her legs. Not as strong as me, but close lol.
    she has tremendous upper body strength too. If she weight trained for mass and strength she'd be hella strong! (but she dont want to, which is fair play) Dont think id like her to look like ronnie lol
    intersting question tho.
    I too wuld like to see a study or two that have been made on this topic.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwinm
    my gf weighs the same as me give or take a few pounds. She is very strong, especialy in her legs. Not as strong as me, but close lol.
    she has tremendous upper body strength too. If she weight trained for mass and strength she'd be hella strong! (but she dont want to, which is fair play) Dont think id like her to look like ronnie lol
    intersting question tho.
    Wanna explain to me how she'd look like Ronnie if she trained for mass? There are GUYS on this board trying to look like Ronnie and failing miserably. What makes you think she'd succeed?

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Wanna explain to me how she'd look like Ronnie if she trained for mass? There are GUYS on this board trying to look like Ronnie and failing miserably. What makes you think she'd succeed?
    i was jus exxagorating hehe
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    No kidding!

<cries at her lack of LBM>

<shakes fist>
    Little LBM is a good thing, I would love to have more strength at the cost of size. Yummy.

You could have two males with the exact same stats/diet/training who produce different numbers. Things like leverages, fibre recruitment %, fibre types, mental focus, etc. all play a larger role than their body fat percentage.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

If there's one woman who I think could bulk up to near Ronnie proportions, it's New Zealand Shotputter Valerie Vili.

She's got a large and powerful bone structure, I think she'd have incredible potential if she wanted to become a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    Assuming they both used the same training routine, have been training for the exact same amount of time, did not use steroids, used the same supplements, had the exact same diet, would their total muscular force/strength/power.. (whatever...) be equal ?

Would they both bench press 150 lbs. both squat 200 lbs. deadlift 225 lbs. ? Or at least very close.

Don't know what got me to post this.. but I'm just curious lol.
    no, and it wouldnt be close either - your talking of two completely different things, its like having two twins do this but puting one of them on steroids

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaVvY
    no, and it wouldnt be close either - your talking of two completely different things, its like having two twins do this but puting one of them on steroids
    I'm going too have to agree. Women bodybuilders dont take male hormones (test) for no reason. In the world of genetics males have gals beat for the most part. We carry around more muscle mass naturally simple because females have to carry around more organs/tissue to support life. Its just how it is and its probably never going to change.

*Thoughts of that sci-fi movie where women control the world and hunt men to extinction come to mind*.

-jordan

Now I remember why I didnt like that movie...
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Based on average body fat percentages, a typical 165lb class female powerlifter might have the same lean body mass as a typical 148lb class male lifter. If you look at the typical results in a meet or the records in almost any federation, you will see that the numbers that women put up are not even close to that of the men. This is why women and men are not classed together. Even the top 165lb female powerlifter wouldn't even make the top 20 of 148lb men, in totals. In squat she might crack the lower end of the Top 20, but bench and deadlift, no way.

Even the strongest woman in the world, Becca Swanson (who weighed 245lb when she broke the 2,000 total barrier for women) wouldn't break into the top 20 of 198 males.

http://www.irongame.com/michaelsoongrecords.html

The testerone is a huge factor.

Clearly, though, almost any women can be stronger than MOST men with enough weight training.
    Last edited by Guido; 06-16-2006 at 09:49 AM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    Even the strongest woman in the world, Becca Swanson (who weighed 245lb when she broke the 2,000 total barrier for women) wouldn't break into the top 20 of 198 males.
    Holy crap

Mint
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    You could have two males with the exact same stats/diet/training who produce different numbers. Things like leverages, fibre recruitment %, fibre types, mental focus, etc. all play a larger role than their body fat percentage.
    bing bing bing. For teh win.

Strength is a skill. Strength training is neurological training.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Things like leverages, fibre recruitment %, fibre types, mental focus, etc.
    /thread.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Wannabebig Member
    intersting question tho.
    I am sorry to break this to you, but your 'girlfriend' is really your boyfriend.

Kidding, I am only jealous bc I love strong and fit women.
    5'7" 170-195lbs 365 bp 1rm, 315 inc

Wannabebig Member
    my gf weighs the same as me give or take a few pounds.