The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Me Squatting

Me Squatting

A few notes before you watch the vid:
    This is my first time making a lifting video so there are definitely some flaws. 1st set the camera runs out of battery at the 4th rep, I completed 2 (=6 total) more after that scene but obviously they weren't recorded. On the third set the camera ran out at 8 reps, I completed another two (=10 total). Anyway that's not really important.

It's nice to finally see myself from the side but I think on many of the reps I was not quite hitting parallel. What's strange is I was usually going back up when my calves start to hit my hammies but apparently this might still be above parallel.

Also, has anyone had pain occur in a leg right below the knee, kinda feeling like bruised bone just RIGHT below the knee from deep squatting? I don't know what happened but putting a lot of force on my knee (even now, not squatting with weight) doesn't feel great.

For some reason it seems that my form on the deepest reps is weird on the way up, perhaps balance issues that I will have to fix up.

Hope you enjoy the vid, go ahead and critique away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi_zuN-8BHA
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Oh yeah and that isn't me grunting at the beginning of the 3rd set clip... some dudes on a pussy-ass squat machine next to my camera.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Great lifting...nice, deep, heavy sets.
    Max Lifts:------------------ Goals
    Bench Press: 215lbs------- 250lbs
    Squat:300lbs------------ 300 lbs
    Deadlift: 335------------ 350 lbs
    ----------------------
    Total: 850lbs ---------- 900 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    dude, thats really strong lifts. very nice.

i'm 220 x 6, and i'm dead. you don't look huge, but ya got da power. nice.
    goal : get 10-12% BF, and get really strong.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    You put me to shame. Good work!
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Excellent. I'll try to have those kind of numbers in a years time

A few of the reps were a shade high, but overall your depth was good. I'm not fond of the way you float all over the place, but hey, you're hitting 395 for reps! Strong lift.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Iron4Life
    Awesome strength dude...
    Not ATF squats.. but most of them are parallel..
    I'm with Anthony.. your stablization needs some work. Perhaps a little less weight, and go just a little slower and go to ATF.

Very strong. I'll be honest, from the looks of your physique I had my doubts about your strength, but the videos have changed my mind. What this means in my mind is that you should really get your diet down. I don't mean to sound like a jackass or anything, but you're stronger than me but you don't look it. Ergo, you should try and do a little recomp so you are both stronger than me and look stronger than me. Otherwise you make me look really ****ing weak.

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Yeah, strong -- but you try going below parallel.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Very strong......be carefull with locking out the knees you do not want them to bend the other way.

~nico

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia
    Also, has anyone had pain occur in a leg right below the knee, kinda feeling like bruised bone just RIGHT below the knee from deep squatting? I don't know what happened but putting a lot of force on my knee (even now, not squatting with weight) doesn't feel great.
    This is due to you lean forward and the shoes you're wearing. Its the beginnings of patella tendonitis, more than likely. When you squat and you float forward, the stress is placed on the knees and the quads, not the hips, glutes and hammies. When the stress moves forward over the knee, then you start to have issues as far as how the knee handles the stress and how strong the stabilizers are.

For some reason it seems that my form on the deepest reps is weird on the way up, perhaps balance issues that I will have to fix up.
    This looks like you are trying to squat up in phases. You come up at first using the hips, you get caught forward though, still moving up the quads take over, but then you try to muslce it back up and the hips and lower back come back into play.

You're strong and really, I think all these things can be fixed up with just more heavy deeper squatting. Try doing box squats to help you learn to sit back. One mistake with box squats though is that people just put a box directly under them and sit straight down to it. When box squatting, but the box back a bit so you have to sit back to get on it. Think about starting your stance about a foot infront of the box so that you have to sit back or otherwise you'll just bottom out. If you don't touch the box, then you know you're not sitting back far enough.

As far as the knee issue, do some top ROM leg extensions to warm up. Very light weight, 15-20 reps from the point where the feet about 45 degrees to the floor to just before the knees lock out. More direct quad stretching and stronger close-chain hamstring work.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Banned
    good job bro. it will take me 2 years to get there and i weigh a lot more than u

lifts look good

yeah, you could have gone deeper, but you hit a pretty nice depth

very impressed
    the fear of losing removes the desire to win

man you still weighin' in @ 208?

Good squattin! i would comment on your form but I can't lift that much and everybody else hit on that point already.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Awesome strength man

Nice lifts. As others have said, your very strong for your size

Thanks guys.

Anthony- yeah that's what I was talking about in my OP, it seems like the deep reps cause me to get off balance a little bit. I'll probably try some ATF squats (and follow some of HY's advice).
    MM- I know man, my diet's been mostly garbage cuz I've been living paycheck-to-paycheck. I'm hoping that this summer I can get things down to a T but I'm also going to Australia in the Fall so my diet will probably turn to garbage again. I was thinking about doing a little more hypertrophy training during the summer so we'll see how that goes if I get my diet down.
    HomeYield- thanks a lot for the info man, that's some stuff that I was kinda thinking. I've done squats before where I felt like I was sitting back and to be honest it felt more stable, stronger, and more like it was my glutes doing the lifting. The "sitting back" part is something that I have to get used to though because it always feels like I just might fall backward. I'll definitely try the box squats next leg day. Out of curiosity how low do you usually put it? I'd probably start off not very low and work my way to below parallel?
    ddegreoff- not quite 208, that's the highest I recorded last month and I recorded it because I was ecstatic with my weight. I'm really about 200lbs right now (which I'm not too happy about), all has to do with the diet again...

As for my strength for my size, thanks guys but to be honest I think my family is blessed with strong legs. I lifted on and off during high school but a year ago when I got serious about lifting I was really starting my working sets with ~295lbs or so... so I guess I got a head start. My bench is still stuck around 275lbs so don't be too quick to say I'm strong for my size... damned pec muscles...

Anyway thanks for all the comments guys.
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 06-15-2006 at 10:17 AM.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Well, I don't know what your diet is like now, but if I were you I'd really want to focus on it. With the right nutrition you could look a lot more hard, and also see your numbers climb pretty good. Good luck.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Great squating. I would say try going deeper, even if that means lowering the weight. Also I noticed on your last set, or second last set that you rushed them while you were at the bottom, and sort of bounced back up. That cant feel good on your knees. But other than that your a strong guy keep it up.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Iron4Life
    HomeYield - do you think he would benefit from a pair of Chuck Taylor's? Forcing his heels into the ground?

excellent work
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia
    Out of curiosity how low do you usually put it? I'd probably start off not very low and work my way to below parallel?
    Honestly, I'd start just a tad bit above parallel. Learning how to sit back can be rough on the hamstrings. Think about how you sit down to the toilet to poo. That's almost exactly how a squat should be. Start so that if you sat straight down you'd miss the box or at least just clip the front. You want to sit back to the point of trying to push your butt past the back-end of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    HomeYield - do you think he would benefit from a pair of Chuck Taylor's? Forcing his heels into the ground?
    Not necessarily but they're good. They're just flat and more stable on the bottom than tennis/running shoes. I tell people to point their toes to the ceiling. Leave the balls of your feet on the ground but point your toes up. This helps to shift the weight back a little bit even if you are wearing sneakers.

Sometimes, but rarely, I'll put 2.5lbs plates under the balls of people's feet to kind of help force the weight back on the heels. Think about driving down through the heel of the foot.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

wow nice lifts
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

as far as sitting back

i think it was a post from maki i read on here that really helped me

something to the effect of "ass back, not knees forward"

that's what helped me alot
    the fear of losing removes the desire to win