Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The A-Team Is Back and Stronger Than Ever

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

The A-Team Is Back and Stronger Than Ever

A Little About Me:

To start with, my name is Brandon Shipe, I'm 20 going on 21 in July, and I've lived in Harrisonburg, VA since the age of 3 (born in New Jersey, but only because my dad was stationed there at the time). If you decide to Google my name, you'll find that I'm the guy in almost every search result on the page, including the File Rush News (www.FileRushNews.com) links and the At Large Nutrition link; the former is a small business that I've had complete ownership of since last September and have been working with for over two years now, while the latter is a short review of Thermocin from awhile back.

If you've never paid a visit to my site before, File Rush News is what I and thousands of others consider to be a premiere source for gaming news. The site doesn't draw as many visitors in as it did when we still had our file section up (File Rush or FileRush.com), but I still enjoy every moment I spend working on it. You'll probably thing otherwise if you stroll on over to the page now since there aren't too many updates, and in response I can only tell you that there just isn't a lot to talk about during the summer months.

Moving along, I am currently a junior at Virginia Tech, with my focus being that of Business Information Technology. I came to the school as a Computer Science Major, but have since switched to the College of Business due to the overwhelming amount of programming associated with CS. My plan is to eventually turn myself into a respected network administrator or find a profession that I enjoy somewhere along those lines.

My Experience With The Gym:

The gym to me is like Christianity to an honest, church-going man. I took up going once in a good while between my junior and senior years of high school, at which point I weighed approximately 260lbs. I wasn't shaped like a giant ball, but standing at only 5'11", it was obvious to friends and non-friends alike that I was overweight.

Before escaping the confines of high school and moving on with my life, I began taking the gym more seriously. Instead of going one or two times a week, I was now going upwards to four days a week. Instead of doing weights one day and cardio the next, I was doing both in the same day, multiple days a week. My diet wasn't exactly the greatest at the point, but my routine was good enough to help me shed a few pounds and slightly tone up parts of my body.

Zooming ahead to today, I now weigh 186 pounds. I'm no longer taking Thermocin and my routine has changed drastically since becoming a crazed "gym whore" during the second semester of my freshman year in college. Since school is out, I'm not only hitting my second home up on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, but also running 3.5+ miles on Mon/Wed/Fri and biking 10+ miles on Tue/Thurs. My diet is, well, better than it was at school, but I don't consider it to be nearly as good as it was when I managed to drop those 60+ pounds from my younger years.

So Now It Begins:

So this is the first time that I've kept an online journal of my daily activities. Yes, I do have an actual log of everything I do at the gym, but no, I've never shared anything in the book with anyone except gym partners.

If you're wondering why I'm just now deciding to start up my online journal, well... I don't really have a clear answer for you. I can tell you though that is has nothing to do with not trusting myself or any of that craziness. It does however have something to do with wanting a little bit of feedback here and there and sharing my thoughts/opinions with everyone that frequents this site.

Hopefully all of what I said makes some sense. If it doesn't, feel free to call me out on whatever it is and I'll help clear things up a bit.

In the case that everything makes sense, then feast your eyes on today's workout.

Workout Routine - June 15, 2006:

Morning - Ran ~3.5 miles

Mid-Afternoon - Gym (Format: Sets x Reps x Weight)

- Bench: 1x8x135 (Warm-up) | 3x8x185
    - DB Bench: 2x8x70 | 1x6x70 | 1x4x70
    - Lat PD: 1x150 (Front - Rev Grip) | 1x150 (Behind Neck) | 1x150 (Front - Rev Grip)
    - Bi Superset:
    o Standing CB Curls: 1x10x17 (Warm-up w/ bar) | 3x8x92
    o Seated DB Curls: 3x8x40
    - Bent-Over Rows: 1x8x40 | 2x8x50
    - Stretched
    - Weighed in @ 186lbs (nothing but gym shorts and boxers)

Evening - Home

- Abs

Meals:

- Breakfast: 2x Mega Men pills (I was out of food!)
    - Lunch: Tune wrap
    - Mid-afternoon: Yogurt Cup
    - Dinner: PB&J and a few slices of cheese
    - Post-Dinner: Yogurt Cup
    - Post-Post-Dinner: Egg Salad Sandwich (sorry, won't happen again!)

Before I End My First Post:

Just wanted to say that I can't wait to get to know some people around here and become actively involved with the WBB community. I've been peeking in from time to time to get some ideas on how to improve my routine and eating habits, but I'm hoping that the launching of my journal will change all of that.

Before I go, I'd like to share a few pictures (see below of course) that I shot this morning after my run. As you'll see, I'm not "ripped" nor am I covered in excess BF (well, I am in the gut and the such, but yeah). Even so, I'm proud of how far I've come over the past 1.5 years or so and am looking forward to increasing my overall strength and slimming up a wee bit more before it's all said and done.

P.S. - Would it be better if I attached images instead of linking everyone directly to them on my site or is either way fine?

Last edited by Ateam311; 06-17-2006 at 07:31 AM.

GO WOLFPACK!!!

ahahaha, kidding...cool to see someone else from the ACC around here tho

welcome and good luck, keeping a journal is prob. one of the best things about WBB...everyone seems to look after each other, give great advice, and keep you motivated
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder
    GO WOLFPACK!!!

ahahaha, kidding...cool to see someone else from the ACC around here tho

welcome and good luck, keeping a journal is prob. one of the best things about WBB...everyone seems to look after each other, give great advice, and keep you motivated
    Speaking of the ACC, I can't wait to put my season football tickets to use in the fall. This is the first year that I've decided to pay up instead of crossing my fingers and praying that the lottery system doesn't let me down.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by Ateam311
    Speaking of the ACC, I can't wait to put my season football tickets to use in the fall. This is the first year that I've decided to pay up instead of crossing my fingers and praying that the lottery system doesn't let me down.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words!
    lucky bastard...I'll be doing the lottery again. BUT they did expand our stadium and I'll be a senior so hopefully it won't be a big deal getting tickets for all the games.
    Last edited by KingWilder; 06-16-2006 at 06:27 AM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

Wannabebig Member

Day #2 - Friday, June 16

Another Sunny Day In The Burg':

Goo' mornin' everyone!

Managed to wake up again at 10:30. I would've gotten up earlier had the bike shop actually fixed my bike like they said they were going to, but after going to pick it up yesterday and having the rear axle fall apart in my hands, I was forced to once again leave it in their hands. I specifically told the fellow over at the shop that I was really looking forward to riding it today, so hopefully he'll give me a call here shortly like he promised that he would.

To help pass the time, I'm going to set up today's entry with my plans for the gym and all that good stuff.

Workout Routine - June 16, 2006:

Morning - Nothing (thanks for nothing bike shop!)

Mid-Afternoon - Gym (Format: Sets x Reps x Weight)

- Squat: 1x8x45 (Warm-up; bar only) + 1x8x135 | 2x8x225 2x8x245
    - Seated Leg Press (Yay for gluts!): 1x8x90 (Warm-up) | 1x8x150 1x8x180 1x8x200 1x8x220
    - Straight Leg Deadlift (Yay for hammys!): 1x8x45 (Warm-up) | 1x8x115 1x8x135 1x8x145
    - Seated Calves: 1x8x160 (Warm-up) | 1x8x215 1x8x220 1x8x225
    - Lower Back (forget exact name of exercise): 1x8x80 (Warm-up) | 2x8x140 1x8x150
    - Tri Superset: 1x8x45 (Warm-up; bar)
    o Close Grip: 2x8x130 1x8x135
    o Reverse Grip: 2x8x130 1x8x135
    o Overhead DB (standing extensions): 3x65

Evening - Home

- Abs

Meals:

- Breakfast 2x Mega Men Pills + Bowl of mini-wheats + 1% milk
    - Post-Breakfast: Nothing b/c of the damn bike shop
    - Lunch: 1 slice provolone + 1 yogurt cup + 2 slices wheat bread + 2 slices peppered turkey
    - Post-Lunch: Yogurt cup
    - Dinner: Chicken breast + Noodles/corn/carrots mixed together
    - Post-Dinner: Water + Water + Water

The End:

That's everything for today! Guess I'll get my bike ride in tomorrow since I have the day off.
    Last edited by Ateam311; 06-17-2006 at 07:23 AM.

Welcome to WBB Brandon!

Congrats on meeting your goals over the past couple years. Your lifts look good. Pics look good too. Keep us updated man.

(I like the messy desk on the 3rd pic... like mine )
    Training Journal
    3/27/06 - 150lb, 17.8% BF
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs
    Dead 215x4 (4/24/06), 255x1 (5/22/06), 295x1 (8/23/06), 315x1 (11/24/06)
    Squat 185x4 (4/19/06), 235x3 (5/31/06), 275x1 (8/21/06), 315x1 (10/25/06)
    Bench 135x5 (4/24/06), 160x3 (5/22/06), 145x3 (8/23/06)

"Deadlift is like my girlfriend. She pisses me off at times, but i still love her." - DNL

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbellDude
    Welcome to WBB Brandon!

Congrats on meeting your goals over the past couple years. Your lifts look good. Pics look good too. Keep us updated man.

(I like the messy desk on the 3rd pic... like mine )
    That's the motherload of computer stuff that we've acquired over the years. My desk (the one you can sort of see in picture #2) isn't nearly as bad.

As for my lifts, yeah, they've been pretty good. It's been slow-going on my bench, but at least I'm not stuck at 165 anymore.

Edit: And thanks, glad to be here!
    Edit #2: This is going to sound a little random, but I figured this is a good time to point out that I'm 20, going on 21 in July. I'll go ahead and add that tidbit of information to my original post along with the egg salad sandwich that I devoured shortly after posting up my first journal entry. Shhh don't tell anyone!
    Last edited by Ateam311; 06-15-2006 at 11:30 PM.

Hey Brandon, welcome to WBB. Very nice write up to start this off, seems like you have a good foundation of knowledge to start with. What are your actual goals? Weight, % bf, strength goals? I'll be checking in regularly to either throw some advice, support, or a good kick in the ass if necessary
    Don't asker for a light load, but a strong back.

JOURNAL

Best Meet Lifts @ 220 Raw:
    Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500
    Total: 1330

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbellDude
    I think for most people bench is slow-going. Pectoral muscles are not that big, and are not utillized in everyday life too much. I think that's why the respond slow to training, as opposed to legs for example. 185 is pretty sweet... Your warmup weight is my finish weight. My bench is pathetic

I noticed several towers and several screwdrivers... LOL
    The bench has never been my friend, but oh well. I still have my calves and bis, and those are more important to me than my pecs.

Quote Originally Posted by DGabe24
    Hey Brandon, welcome to WBB. Very nice write up to start this off, seems like you have a good foundation of knowledge to start with. What are your actual goals? Weight, % bf, strength goals? I'll be checking in regularly to either throw some advice, support, or a good kick in the ass if necessary
    I don't really have a % BF goal, nor have I ever had one, but I'm looking to pull my weight down below 180 before I go back to school in August. I'm also looking to tone up my abs, lay waste to my love handles, and tone up my glut / hammy area.

As for strength, well, I'm looking at something like this (at least 3 sets of 8 at each weight in pounds) over the next couple of months:

- Bench: 200+ (currently 180)
    - Bis (standing curls): 122+
    - Bis (seated DB curls): 50
    - Tris (Close Grip and Reverse Grip): 145
    - Tris (Kickbacks): 35 (currently 25)
    - Seated Calves: 250+ (currently 225)
    - Squats: Can't really set a goal since I've been doing inv leg press in place of my squats, but if I can get back into doing them, I'm going to set my goal at 300

The list goes on and on, but those are the main areas that I'll be focusing on simply because I'm all about strengthening my bis/tris, calves/quads, and chest. I suspect that all of my other weights will continue to go up as well, but at slower rates.

Most important of all though, I really need to work on eating a little more. The job I'm currently working has really whack hours, so trying to fit five or six meals in each day is harder than it is at school. Guess I'll figure out something.

And thanks for the greeting!
    Last edited by Ateam311; 06-15-2006 at 11:54 PM.

I think for most people bench is slow-going. Pectoral muscles are not that big, and are not utillized in everyday life too much. I think that's why the respond slow to training, as opposed to legs for example. 185 is pretty sweet... Your warmup weight is my finish weight. My bench is pathetic

hat's the motherload of computer stuff that we've acquired over the years
    I noticed several towers and several screwdrivers... LOL
    Last edited by DumbellDude; 06-15-2006 at 11:34 PM.
    Training Journal
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs

"Deadlift is like my girlfriend. She pisses me off at times, but i still love her." - DNL

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06

You know there is no substitute for squats! Just do them. Eating will improve as you'll get used to your new schedule.
    Training Journal
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06

Wannabebig Member
    Go go magical signature!

Edit: It's alive!
    Edit #2: The bike shop is really pissing me off now. Grrr.
    Last edited by Ateam311; 06-16-2006 at 09:44 AM.

Name: Brandon Shipe
    Height: 5'11"
    Current Weight: 186.75lbs (6/29/06)
    Target Weight: 170-ish lbs

My Journal: Click Here!

My Diet: Click Here!

Wannabebig Member
    There's A First Time For Everything:

As you can see a couple of posts up, my routine was quite a handful today. It was also the first routine of mine to include straight leg deadlifts, and holy cow did those feel amazing! When I wrapped up on those, my legs felt a little weak, but in a good way.

Although it wasn't the first time I've done them, I went ahead and dropped inverted leg press for squats. I've been afraid of starting back up on squats because of the leg issues I was having before the start of last summer (bad form and too much weight will do that to you). Good news though: I didn't have a single problem getting 225 up, nor did I have a problem with 245! As a result, I'll more than likely keep my sets somewhere between 230 and 250 for my Tuesday/Friday sessions next week just to be sure that my form is perfect.

The bad news (and this has nothing to do with squats) is that I didn't get around to doing military press, reason being that my left shoulder was starting to hurt toward the end of my tri superset. I figured "well, better safe than sorry" and proceeded to leave the gym.

I Hate Bike Shops:

So I go out to hop in my truck and notice that I've got a missed call. Seeing as though the guys over at the bike shop didn't call me this morning, I knew it was them - and I was right. They left me a message saying that my bike was ready to go and that I could come over and pick it up anytime today. Seeing as though I was already out and about, I decided to go over and pick it up not knowing that they *still* hadn't completely fixed it.

Allow me to explain. The original reason that I took the bike in was because the back tire was rubbing against the frame, which I blamed on the frame being slightly bent. I decided to take it over to the only bike shop in the city to have them check that out, true my wheels, and give my bike a basic tune-up (boy did it need it). In the end, I paid $36 ($30 for the tune-up, $6 in labor for bending the frame back).

The fun didn't stop there though.

I went over to pick the bike up last night and being the moron that I am, I just threw it on the back of the truck and left without giving it a proper test ride. Needless to say, when I got back to the house, the rear wheel was still rubbing and on top of that, the rear axle was coming apart. I hauled you know what to get back over there before they closed, left my bike with them, and was told that it would cost another $15 or so to fix it.

That brings us to back to today. Upon arriving at the shop, I paid the $14.40 I owed and took the bike for a ride up and down the road. The rear wheel was still rubbing, so I ended up having to wait around for 15 minutes for them to throw another quick release on the back and straighten everything out. Took the bike for another spin and it was *finally* working properly. Afterward, I started to load the bike on the back and was presented with a free tube for all my trouble. Oh boy! <sarcasm>

Oh well. I'm just glad to have my bike back! Too bad my legs are a little too tired at the moment to go give er' a good long ride, but the day is still young.

Wannabebig Member

Day #3 - Saturday, June 17

No Pain, No Gain:

After throwing ice on my left shoulder and wrist last night, I woke up this morning with *both* shoulders hurting a bit and my wrist acting up. I figure the shoulder thing will work itself out over the weekend since I don't lift on the weekends. As for my wrist, there's not a whole lot I can do. Reason being that I came very close to breaking it back in high school after I crashed my bike, leaving me with a lot less strength in my left wrist than my right wrist.

Anyway, going to help someone move some stuff this morning and possibly go for a bike ride later on. I'll just have to see what the day throws at me.

Meals:

- Breakfast: 2x Mega Men + Bowl of mini-wheats + 1% milk
    - Post-Breakfast: Nothing
    - Lunch: Egg salad + two slices of wheat bread + yogurt cup
    - Post-Lunch: Yogurt
    - Dinner: Pasta
    - Post-Dinner: Nothing
    Last edited by Ateam311; 06-18-2006 at 03:09 AM.

Wannabebig Member

Day #4 - Sunday, June 18

Uh Oh:

Received a message from one of my best buds shortly ago. He pointed out (and this was pretty obvious, but I wasn't taking it too seriously) that, basically, my body needs more food . We figured out my BMR (1983.86) and came to the conclusion that I should be eating ~1500 calories per day, at least until I can get down to around 170lbs. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that losing 16lbs will help tone up my abs, sides, and backs of my legs.

So my goal this week (aside from getting 3x8x190 in on the bench) is to get my eating schedule on track. That means that I'll also be counting my calories and all of that good stuff, which is something I haven't done since I lost 70+ lbs last year.

On that note, here's yet another day's worth of horrible eating!

Meals:

- Breakfast: 2x Mega Men + Bowl of mini-wheats + 1% milk
    - Post-Breakfast: Nothing
    - Lunch: Pasta
    - Post-Lunch:
    - Dinner: PB&J + Yogurt
    - Post-Dinner (technically dinner because I started eating at 5am this morning): 2x small pork chops + 3x white bread rolls + 1 serving of sloppy joe

how's your shoulder feeling?? Mine felt fine today when I was doing Arnold's..hope yours gets better.

you SHOULD be counting calories haha, I'm not surprised that you lost 70lbs when you were keeping track, it's important.

Anyways the eating doesn't look too bad, do you know what the macro breakdown is?
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

Wannabebig Member
    KingWilder: Shoulders are feeling much better. Gluts/hammys are still a little sore, but they'll be fine by the time my Tuesday session rolls around.

As for the macro (I hope this is what you mean):

Total: 3038
    Fat: 114 1025 34%
    Sat: 33 301 10%
    Poly: 32 292 10%
    Mono: 39 350 12%
    Carbs: 374 1404 47%
    Fiber: 23 0 0%
    Protein: 143 573 19%

I'm new to the FitDay stuff and I did not manually put in any of the food I ate, so I'm pretty sure I ate less (a lot less) than what's listed.
    Last edited by Ateam311; 06-18-2006 at 06:37 PM.

are you bulking or cutting? Either way, your protein looks low. Aim for 1.5g per lb LBM (lean body mass)
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

Wannabebig Member
    are you bulking or cutting? Either way, your protein looks low. Aim for 1.5g per lb LBM (lean body mass)
    You could say that I'm cutting, yes. Definitely not trying to get any bigger right now, especially since I want to get down to ~170lbs in the next month or two.

As for protein (and this is according to an LBM calc I used), I need to be taking in ~214g each day. I'll see if I can't get that up over the next few days to a more desireable level.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: For my own reference: LBM: 141 | BMR: 1984. Daily cal target is going to be 1500 as noted four posts up.
    Edit #2: Actually going to aim for around 1800 cal for the time being. I'd try to push that number above 2000, but I really just need to work my way back into eating more on a more regular basis.
    Last edited by Ateam311; 06-18-2006 at 10:03 PM.

Wannabebig Member

Day #5 - Monday, June 19

A New Week Is Upon Me:

After going back and forth about it in my head last night, I've decided to take up HIIT, more specifically IBUR. I'll be replacing my Mon/Wed/Fri jogs with IBUR sessions until I've reached my targeted weight of 170lbs and will instead go for a jog or two on the weekends. However, even though I've decided to move away from jogging during the week, I'll still be biking on Tuesday and Thursdays.

Seeing as though my gym routine has never let me down, I'm only going to be making a couple of small adjustments this week. For instance, I am going to go ahead and start following up my bi supersets with preacher CB preacher curls (Mon/Thurs) and am planning on incorporated deadlifts (not just straight-leg deadlifts) into my Tues/Fri routine.

Aside from all that, my focus is again going to be on my diet, more specifically my caloric intake and protein. There's a good change that I'll be adding whey back into my diet to (1) drink after my workouts and (2) fill in for a meal between breakfast/lunch or lunch/dinner once in awhile.

Meals:

- Meal 1: 2x Mega Men + 2 Cups Frosted Mini-Wheats + 1 Cup 1% Milk
    - Meal 2: 2x Large Eggs (Fried) + 1 tablespoon EVOO (used to make eggs) + 1 tablespoon peanut butter
    - Meal 3: Yogurt Cup
    - Meal 4: 1x 5oz Chicken Breast w/ Lemon Pepper + .75 Cup Corn + 1oz Sharp Chedder
    - Meal 5: 1 teaspoon peanut butter + yogurt cup

Workout Routine - June 19, 2006:

11AM - Gym (Format: Sets x Reps x Weight)

- Bench: 1x8x45 (Warm-up w/ bar) + 1x8x135 | 1x8x185 1x6x190 1x4x195
    - DB Bench: 2x8x70 | 1x5x75
    - DB Flies: 2x8x50 1x8x55
    - Lat PD: 1x8x100 (Warm-up; Rev Grip) | 1x8x150 (Front - Rev Grip) 1x8x150 (Behind head) 1x8x150 (Front - Rev Grip) 1x6x150 (Behind head)
    - Bi Superset:
    o Standing CB Curls: 1x10x17 (Warm-up w/ bar) | 1x8x92 1x8x97 1x6x102
    o Seated DB Curls: 2x8x40 1x8x45
    - Rev CB Curls: 3x65

~12:15AM - Gym (HIIT)

- Start: Jog 30sec, Sprint 20sec (increased Jog by 30sec after each interval & increased Sprint by 10sec after each interval)
    - End: Jog 180sec, Sprint 70sec
    - Stretched
    Last edited by Ateam311; 06-20-2006 at 10:48 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Much Better:

I didn't get those preacher curls in like I wanted to, but I did manage to eat more and work my way through my first run through of HIIT.

From a runner's point of view, the biggest difference I found between jogging/running and doing HIIT was the amount of work my heart was doing. That more than likely has something to do with pacing myself to run versus not pacing myself at all to get through the various intervals of HIIT, which will hopefully make dropping my weight down to 170 or less a lot easier.

Protein, Protein, Protein!:

We have a problem, and that problem is my protein intake. I figured that at 2g per unit of LBM that I should be taking in ~200g of protein each day and, as you can see above, that is simply not happening at this stage.

The only solution I can think of at this point is to take up drinking protein shakes again and let go of my craving for yogurt. Two or three shakes each day should be enough to get me up in the vicinity of 170 or so grams, which is a steep improvement over the 112g I took in today.

Of course, if anyone has any other suggestions that don't involve taking in a massive amount of calories, then by all means, throw em' my way.

Edit: Loaded up on some fish oil (1700mg/serving) tonight. I'll start taking that tomorrow along with my Mega Men.

Macro for 6/19/06:

Total: 2035
    Fat: 81 732 36%
    Sat: 26 231 11%
    Poly: 14 125 6%
    Mono: 35 317 16%
    Carbs: 226 841 42%
    Fiber: 16 0 0%
    Protein: 112 448 22%
    Last edited by Ateam311; 06-19-2006 at 09:42 PM.

if you're that worried about calories then reduce the amount of carbohydrates that you consume and add in more protein.

Switch those two numbers 226g carbs vs. 112g protein (to 226 p and 112 c) and you'll be fine (also equals same number of total cals...but I'm sure you knew that )
    Last edited by KingWilder; 06-19-2006 at 10:31 PM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

Wannabebig Member

Day #6 - June 20, 2006

if you're that worried about calories then reduce the amount of carbohydrates that you consume and add in more protein.

Switch those two numbers 226g carbs vs. 112g protein (to 226 p and 112 c) and you'll be fine (also equals same number of total cals...but I'm sure you knew that )
    Yeah, I'm going to drop yogurt from my diet completely and replace it with protein shakes. It's just a matter of going out and picking up some protein when I get a chance later this week.

A "So So" Day At The Gym:

Woke up at 9 instead of 10 this morning and headed off to the gym at 10 instead of 11. I got through everything I wanted to with the exception of my shoulders (taking it easy on them for the time being) and the last set of my tri superset, but that's alright because I'm going to be working from 3 tonight until the wee hours of the morning.

Back to the tri superset though, the reason I didn't get through it was because I lacked the energy at that point to put the BB up again. I noticed that I was really tired after my deadlifts and straight-leg deadlifts, leading me to conclude that my arms are simply not used to doing deadlifts as of yet. No need to worry though for I don't plan on dropping deadlifts from my routine unless I find that I can't get used to them over the next two weeks.

All in all, it was a "so so" day at the gym.

Meals:

- Meal 1: 2x Mega Men + 2x Extra Strength Fish Oil + 1.5 Cups Mini-Wheats + 1 Cup 1% Milk
    - Meal 2: 3-Egg Omelet + .3 Cups Sharp Cheddar
    - Meal 3: 1 tablespoon peanut butter
    - Meal 4: 2x Granola Bar
    - Meal 5: Baked Potato + Turkey + Cheese + 2x slices of franchetta bread

Workout Routine - June 20, 2006:

10AM - Gym (Format: Sets x Reps x Weight)

- Squats: 1x8x45 + 1x8x135 (Warm-up Sets) | 1x8x225x235x245x255
    - Seated Calf Lifts: 1x8x180 (Warm-up Set) | 1x8x220x225x230 (PR)
    - Deadlifts (Mixed Grip): 1x8x45 (Warm-up Set) | 1x8x135x165x185
    - Straight-Leg Deadlifts: 1x8x135x145x155
    - Lower Back: 1x8x80 (Warm-up Set) | 1x8x140x150x150
    - Tri SS:
    o Close Grip: 1x8x45 (Warm-up Set) | 1x8x130x135
    o Reverse Grip: 1x8x45 (Warm-up Set) | 1x8x130x135
    o Standing DB Ext.: 2x8x65
    - Stretch

1:30PM - Home

- Abs

Macro:

Not throwing the macro up for this day because it was a crazy long night at work (got back at 6am this morning). I'll get it up soon though, I promise.
    Last edited by Ateam311; 06-22-2006 at 09:25 PM.

Wannabebig Member

Day #7 - June 21, 2006

Quick Update For Today:

I'm looking to relax my ass off until it's time for work @ 7, so no long post today.

P.S. - Going to head out here shortly and pick up enough whey to last me until my order of Nitrean comes in. Speaking of which, I need to order that here shortly!

Meals:

- Meal 1: 2x Mega Men + 2x Extra Strength Fish Oil + 1.5 Cups Mini-Wheats + 1 Cup 1% Mik
    - Meal 2: Peanut Butter & Jelly + 2x Slices Wheat Bread
    - Meal 3: 3x Slices of Pizza (I so didn't want to eat them...)

Workout Routine - June 21, 2006:

2PM - Outside (HIIT):

- Stretch
    - Start: Jog 30sec, Sprint 20sec (increased Jog by 30sec after each interval & increased Sprint by 10sec after each interval)
    - End: Jog 180sec, Sprint 70sec
    - Stretch
    Last edited by Ateam311; 06-22-2006 at 09:25 PM.

Wannabebig Member

Day #8 - June 22, 2006

Not Good, Not Good At All:

Ended up working on 2 hours of sleep from 6am until 12:30 today, after which time I came home and slept for about 6 hours. I then proceeded to the gym only to find that my body was completely out of it. I'm not exactly sure what it was, but when I lifted 190 off to bench today, it came barreling down onto my chest; a first for me in well over a year.

Not one to give up so easily, I somehow got 18 reps of 185 in and moved on to do decline DB, incline DB, my bi superset, lats, and abs. The good news is that everything after the bench went fine and I didn't have to lower any of my weights. The bad news is that today was my weigh-in day and, according to the scale, I've put on a pound in the past week.

Speaking Of My Weight...:

Needless to say, this was not a good week to try and totally change up my eating habits. I had to work some strange hours that ended up throwing both my eating and sleeping schedules off completely. Add in the fact that I didn't get around to ordering my Nitrean until earlier today and, well, you get the picture.

What am I going to do about this? For one, I'm going to stock up on chicken, oats, salad stuff, and tuna this weekend. Once I've amassed what I consider to be a decent food supply, I'm going to sit down and draw up various meal plans so that I at least have some variety in what I'm eating over the next couple of months. The last piece of the puzzle will of course be the whey, which I suspect will be here Monday since I live in Virginia and all.

Then There Was The Cardio:

I didn't get either of my biking days in this week, but I'll be damned if that happens next week since I have both Tuesday and Thursday off. I will however get all three days of HIIT in this week and will certainly get some jogging time in on Saturday and/or Sunday.

In short, the cardio stuff is going good as always. I just feel like this was a lazy week seeing as though this is the second week in the past 1.5 months that I haven't run Mon/Wed/Fri and biked Tue/Thurs.

Where Did The Food Macros Go?:

Just so we're on the same page, my food macros will return next week once I've straightened everything out. In case you're wondering what I've been eating, I've fallen once again to the power of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and mini-wheats, which in turn means that I'm back to not eating nearly enough food.

Workout Routine - June 22, 2006:

7PM - Gym (Format: Sets x Reps x Weight)

- Bench: 18x185 (bad day for bench; not sure how many sets I did or how many reps I did per set, just know the total # of reps)
    - Decline DB Bench: 1x8x65 1x8x70 1x8x70
    - Wrist Superset:
    Rev. Standing Wrist Curls: 3x8x30
    Reg. Standing Wrist Curls: 3x8x30
    - Incline DB Bench: 1x8x50 1x7x60 1x3x60 (went until failure)
    - Bi Superset:
    Standing CB Curls: 3x8x92
    Seated DB Curls: 1x8x40 2x8x45
    - Lat PD: 1x8x100 (Warm-up) | 1x8x140 (Front, Rev Grip) 1x8x140 (Back, Norm Grip) 1x8x150 (Front, Rev Grip) 1x8x150 (Back, Norm Grip)
    - Abs (Lower + Upper; side crunches)
    - Weight: 187lbs
    Last edited by Ateam311; 06-22-2006 at 09:26 PM.