The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

My new look at benchpress

Ive always had a tough time with benchpress, unlike squat and deadlift you gotta train chest more frequently or it loses strength and its tough to come up with a good routine because your never sure what weights should be used lets say your doing a piramide routine ( 10 8 6 4 2) and your trying to increase strength; how do you know what weights to use to increase your bench.

Since my recovery im back to 350 on bench and im struggling, i was trying to get a strong bench by the end of the summer my typical workout would be

10-135
    8-225
    6-275
    4-315
    2-335

This was getting me nowhere because im using the same weights everyday never knowing which one to increase strength on; I decided that I need to redue my program so im increasing eachtime i step into the weightroom.

I discussed my problem with the head strength coaches at UT while I attended the camp and they reccomended something i was hesitant to try
    (the one who I talked with was a 550 raw all natural bencher SHW) but after a bad workout im going to give it a try and moderate it towards dumbells aswell.

My old routine was (order of days) Chest/bi, Legs, Back, Shoulders/tri, and Rest

Im going to do the same except add benchpress on my shoulder day but not go into dumbells and other things, main focus still on shoulders. So its bench then two days off then bench then one day off then bench again( did 3 day week chest routine and had good results) Im also changing the way im lifting working with 4x10 now.

Now to the main part, increasing the weight each day Im going to start off low at a weight I can do and add ten pounds to it after two chest workouts with that weight
    Im going to start off at 225 for 4x10 then do that on monday then thursday then the next time im doing 235 4x10. I figure this way im forcing myself to increase weight so i now im improving each time; the reason i was hesitant to try this before is its a 20+ week program and your workng with low weights until about 8 weeks. Right now i can do 225 4x10 easy but i cant touch 265
    4x10, but i figure in 4 weeks when im working with the 265 i should be able to get it easy.

Im going to be doing the same thing with dumbells aswell except increasing 5 pounds each workout
    Its gonna start off as 60x10 70x10 then 80x10, do that on my primary chest days then the next primary chest day ( 5 days later) ill be doing 65x10 75x10 85x10. I just have to count on my body being able to improve that fast

If anyone can critque me on this im sure its been done before, just been having a difficult time and this makes sense in theory. I should eventually be able to rep my max 5 times atleast when im finished
    Last edited by Jinkies; 06-15-2006 at 09:02 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bump ( need advice on this idea)

I've had the largest increases in strength following a 5x5 routine.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    I've had the largest increases in strength following a 5x5 routine.
    I agree. I switched to 5x5's about a year ago, and I love it. Today I just completed 5 reps of 180lbs for the first time, so during my next chest workout I'm doing the following...

5x135
    5x155
    5x165
    5x175
    ?x185

I'll keep doing this routine until I can get 185 up 5x, and then increase the weight by 5lbs from there.

I just had a conversation with a former personal trainer and 400 pound bench presser (180 pounds) who reccomended that i go with 2 warm up then 8 6 4 of heavy weight and that i stop doing as many sets as i was ( i would do piramide then afterwords do another 6 burn out sets of lower weight) said focus more on dumbells and learn my body better

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    Ive always had a tough time with benchpress, unlike squat and deadlift you gotta train chest more frequently or it loses strength
    Untrue. Muscle is muscle whether it is in your legs, back, or chest. There is nothing special about chest. A probable reason you are having a tough time with bench press, is that maybe you are training it too frequently?

I've made my best gains training chest at the same frequency as squat and deadlift. There is no reason you should train chest more or less, unless you are doing very little chest work or way too much chest work. Muscle is muscle.

Wannabebig Member
    I just had a conversation with a former personal trainer and 400 pound bench presser (180 pounds) who reccomended that i go with 2 warm up then 8 6 4 of heavy weight and that i stop doing as many sets as i was ( i would do piramide then afterwords do another 6 burn out sets of lower weight) said focus more on dumbells and learn my body better
    I'm nowhere close to benching 400+ (I can do 3x8x185 at this point), but the 8-6-4 pyramid is a great thing. The thing is though, I still push for 3 sets of 8 on every set because, well, just because. I might end up changing that though so I can push out more weigh on DB bench over the next few weeks, but I'm not sure if it'll help or not.

In case you're curious... since I'm working chest twice a week, I'll usually use my second bench day to do 3 sets of 8 of whatever weight I was most comfortable with doing on my pyramid day. My friends and I have never done two pyramids a week and I don't have any intention of trying to do that now.
    Last edited by Ateam311; 06-16-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Name: Brandon Shipe
    Height: 5'11"
    Current Weight: 186.75lbs (6/29/06)
    Target Weight: 170-ish lbs

My Journal: Click Here!

My Diet: Click Here!

ive been doing 3x5 its working pretty good for me.
    Stats

Current(May1st) (June8th) Goals(September 1st)
    Bench 245 -------255-----300(reached 225x6 june 14th)
    Squat 350 -------injured----450
    Deadlift 315 ------injured----370

height 5"11
    weight 185(stay at 185)
    40(tested 4/19/06)4.75

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

Australia - Where the women really go down under!
    I'm doing a 5x5 with the powerlifting technique chucked in to get those extra weights, i started using it after being showed and my bench went up 15kg in 1 week...

definitely need to find a way to psych urself up before u lift, i'm going to give some music a go...
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

Im just not sure what weights to use on the 5x5 routine
    Maybe 225 255 275 295 305 315?

on a 5x5 routine, should the weights be incremented/decremented/or same?
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 175lbs
    Body Fat around 12%
    Biceps: 14.5"
    Chest: 38"

Bench Press: 225 x 10 reps and 275 pounds x 1 rep
    Deadlift: 405 pounds x 1 rep
    Squat: 335 pounds x 3 reps

Generally a 5x5 uses the same weight for all sets. Some variations have a 5x5 (say for chest) on Monday and a 1x5 (for chest) on Friday. 1x5 is a pyramid for 5 sets. Search the 'net for Madcow's version. It's pretty good.

Doing Max OT is good for strength gains. Basically it is a 3x4-6 routine. You do three sets of a weight you can do at least 4 times. If you can do six reps for all three sets, you up the weight. Not much thinking to do there. The routine is at ast-ss.com.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Im just not sure what weights to use on the 5x5 routine
    Maybe 225 255 275 295 305 315?

Exactly...just increment them any way that feels comfortable, or use the same weight for every set. As soon as your able to get the last set up 5x with no problem, then move up the weight.

Should work, this plateau is a tough one to break though

I know you posted this in the BB forum to get more replies, but Mike Wolfe hangs out in the PL forum and benches 800... If there was anyone's advice that you definately should get, it's his...

Personally, unless you are just trying to develop a training base, I don't understand why you are doing so many sets of 10 if you are concerned with your 1RM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Well thats why im looking for yalls opinions, thats just the workout routine I got from talking with the coaches but theres plenty of evidence to support both sides of it working and not working

Australia - Where the women really go down under!
    with a 5x5 you warm up, and do 5x5 on your heaviest weight! It can be pretty tough!
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."