The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

tall dudes, can you touch the bar to your chest on bench press?

for some reason, I cant touch the bar to my chest when bench pressing. How bad is this for development. I can only get about 4 inches from the chest.

I am 6'5"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

... theres a 6'10" guy at the gym I go to and he touches fine, everyone can touch.

Four inches is the lowest you can go?

If you can't touch your chest (and if four inches is the lowest you can go) then either you have some serious flexibility issues or you're not benching properly.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

He can probably go lower but is embarrassed by how much less weight he can do.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    He can probably go lower but is embarrassed by how much less weight he can do.
    That was my problem to, Just when no ones watching bench the bar a few times to get the feal of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    for some reason, I cant touch the bar to my chest when bench pressing. How bad is this for development. I can only get about 4 inches from the chest.

I am 6'5"
    Check your ego at the door and drop the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by LouPac
    Check your ego at the door and drop the weight.
    :withstupi

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy
    That was my problem to, Just when no ones watching bench the bar a few times to get the feal of it.
    or do it when people are watching. No one cares about your bench anyways. I'll laugh at dudes doing 315s improperly and applaud a newcomer doing 95 lbs to chest.

Quote Originally Posted by betastas
    or do it when people are watching. No one cares about your bench anyways. I'll laugh at dudes doing 315s improperly and applaud a newcomer doing 95 lbs to chest.
    hahaha speaking of which, last week i saw this guy who seems big. He and his friend politely waited for me to finish my set. They did a few full ROM warm up. Then he loaded up 205 and i was nodding with respect. However he only went down 5-6 inches. then he increased the weight to 225. Now the ROM drop to 3. Then up to 235 and the weight barely move at all for reps. hahahaah I laughed and moved on.

maybe widen your grip on the bar if that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by betastas
    I wasn't saying for embarrasment causes, but becuase of just getting the fealing

yea there was a guy saying i was doing something wrong...iforget what....then i saw him do half reps on squats and chest...and laughed...needless to say I don't listen to him anymore
    Height: 6' 1/2" Age: 24

Current Status: The brace is off....
    Weight: 208 lbs.

Back in action...

try arching your back slightly and bringing the bar to your upper abs.
    2000 or bust

Wannabebig Member
    Im 6'3 and touch the bar to chest,not bounce just touch
    Currently: Goals:
    Weight:290 220 by end of year
    Bench:205 300
    Squat:155x8 400
    Deadlift:0 ???

I am short 5'6 but if u widen ur grip then u will theoretically be a scalled up version of me. All angles should be equal.

A few guys (very very rare)on this forum say they have a genetic limitation the angle their joints move in their shoulder, i think u should try to establish if u have this rare build and be carefull if u do not to injure yourself. I think they are being honest here but remember this probably effects 1/10000 people.

Sadly 99.999% of people who dont bench to chest are training with their ego. For every inch off the chest u can add aprox 15KG to the movement, At my gym there are a fair share of these people both tall and short, one thing i have noticed about all their bodies is that they all seem to have underdeveloped chests and slightly better tricept development, they are basically exercising mainly their tricepts when they do the partial bench press. This was recommended in a muscle and fitness article for building triciepts.

Try simply widen ur grip and drop the weights, warm up on just the bar. Use baby steps to take ur weights up gradually, imagine if u add 2.5 kg per month for a year thats a 30KG increase, do this for 2 years and u are lifting good numbers with a full range of movement.

If u can touch ur chest with just the bar without pain then u must bench all the way down, if u dont u will simply not make good progress.

In my case I used to bench less than a few of the partial reppers but I did nt feel I was weeker becuase I knew we were doing different exercises, a year later I am doing full reps on more weight than they are partials and my guns and delts and especially upper pecs show it. I am doing the same on incline as they are on flat and I touch the bar to my chest, now my ego is the one that is pumped up and these partial reppers know it too.

Remeber its quality, not the quantity, quality not the quantity, quality not the quantity.

Banned
    so, which is better for adding mass

200lb to chest or
    300 lb to 4 inches from chest.

please no regurgitated answers. I would like answers based in science.

To the chest is much better with 200lbs, if u go half way u are only exercising/emphasising mainly tricepts with 300lbs not ur chest/delts, the pecs/delts are a much bigger area than tricepts alone.

So the question is which will add more mass. Tricepts only exercises with 300lbs or chest/delts and tricepts together with 200lbs. Simple answer.

a) A predominantly tricept exercise v b) Chest/tricpets/delts

I prefer option B as do real bodybuilders. If exercising only tricepts was the best way to add mass then we would see pro bodybuilders stopping 4 inches from their chest and benching 800 or 900 KG's.

Look around ur gym and that should also answer ur question by the inferior upper body mass carried by partial reppers.

Its quality not the quantity, quality not the quantity, quality not the quantity,

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    so, which is better for adding mass

200lb to chest or
    300 lb to 4 inches from chest.

please no regurgitated answers. I would like answers based in science.
    Full ROM w/ lighter weight is always going to increase strength and muscle hypertrophy. That being said, partial reps do have their place, they are just no substitute for the real thing. Not to mention going down partially is eliminating the hardest part of the exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmithy
    I am short 5'6 but if u widen ur grip then u will theoretically be a scalled up version of me. All angles should be equal.

A few guys (very very rare)on this forum say they have a genetic limitation the angle their joints move in their shoulder, i think u should try to establish if u have this rare build and be carefull if u do not to injure yourself. I think they are being honest here but remember this probably effects 1/10000 people.

Sadly 99.999% of people who dont bench to chest are training with their ego. For every inch off the chest u can add aprox 15KG to the movement, At my gym there are a fair share of these people both tall and short, one thing i have noticed about all their bodies is that they all seem to have underdeveloped chests and slightly better tricept development, they are basically exercising mainly their tricepts when they do the partial bench press. This was recommended in a muscle and fitness article for building triciepts.
    And from where did you get these statistical data from?

"For every inch off of the chest u can add aprox 15KG". I'm bit curious by this statement. Let's say you can bench 225lbs touching chest. Based on what you have said earlier, you can bench =~260lbs an inch off of your chest?

Also, is it Tricept or Tricep?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    (1) To the chest is much better with 200lbs, if u go half way u are only exercising/emphasising mainly tricepts with 300lbs not ur chest/delts, the pecs/delts are a much bigger area than tricepts alone.

(2)So the question is which will add more mass. Tricepts only exercises with 300lbs or chest/delts and tricepts together with 200lbs. Simple answer.

a) A predominantly tricept exercise v b) Chest/tricpets/delts

(3) I prefer option B as do real bodybuilders. If exercising only tricepts was the best way to add mass then we would see pro bodybuilders stopping 4 inches from their chest and benching 800 or 900 KG's.

(4)Look around ur gym and that should also answer ur question by the inferior upper body mass carried by partial reppers.

Its quality not the quantity, quality not the quantity, quality not the quantity,
    1. He said 4 inches off the chest, not halfway. If it is only a few inches off the chest, it is not going to make that much difference.

2. You are still stimulating the chest with that ROM. I would say the 300 lbs is building more mass.

3. What pro bodybuilders do has NO relation at all to what we should do. They are the worst examples to use. By THAT logic we should also be doing 20+ sets per bodypart and using vast amounts of steroids.

4. I doubt that most people who are natural are going to notice much difference in mass between someone who goes a full ROM and someone who goes a few inches above. I've never noticed this phenomenon you speak of, and I've been in gyms all over Canada, America, Philippines, Japan, and South Korea As far as MY current gym goes I am the only one who stops short of a full ROM and I am still bigger than anyone there (with the exception of the owner who is about 280 and I've never seen him train.)

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Sadly 99.999% of people who dont bench to chest are training with their ego. (1)For every inch off the chest u can add aprox 15KG to the movement, At my gym there are a fair share of these people both tall and short, one thing i have noticed about all their bodies is that they all seem to have underdeveloped chests and slightly better tricept development, they are basically exercising mainly their tricepts when they do the partial bench press. (2) This was recommended in a muscle and fitness article for building triciepts.

Try simply widen ur grip and drop the weights, warm up on just the bar. Use baby steps to take ur weights up gradually, imagine if u add 2.5 kg per month for a year thats a 30KG increase, do this for 2 years and u are lifting good numbers with a full range of movement.

(3) If u can touch ur chest with just the bar without pain then u must bench all the way down, if u dont u will simply not make good progress.

In my case I used to bench less than a few of the partial reppers but I did nt feel I was weeker becuase I knew we were doing different exercises, a year later I am doing full reps on more weight than they are partials and my guns and delts and especially upper pecs show it. I am doing the same on incline as they are on flat and I touch the bar to my chest, now my ego is the one that is pumped up and these partial reppers know it too.

(4) Remeber its quality, not the quantity, quality not the quantity, quality not the quantity.

(numbers are mine)

1. Where did you get these statistics from? Links please

2. Aha, now we see the problem. Muscle and Fiction?

3. Define good progress. Benching more than anyone in the gym or having a bigger chest than anyone in the gym (with the exception of 1-2 people)?
    Because if you mean either or both, then by those definitions I am making "good progress" and (due to shoulder problems) have to stop short about 2-3 inches above chest. Be careful of blanket statements

4. Not quite. It's also (a) good food. (b) plenty of rest. (c) the proper exercises (d) The proper mindset.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 06-12-2006 at 04:11 AM.

Sorry guys, a few egos have come out to play hey.

Can I ask the question, apart from genetic limitation i.e shoulder joint issues why does anyone do partials on bench?

Too me it seems like running the 100M but stopping at 70?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Sorry guys, (1)a few egos have come out to play hey.

(2) Can I ask the question, apart from genetic limitation i.e shoulder joint issues why does anyone do partials on bench?

Too me it seems like running the 100M but stopping at 70?

(1) tsmithy wrote "Now my ego is the one that is pumped up.." Thought I would keep you company.

(2) One use is for breaking through sticking points . Another use is to train weak/injured muscles . A third is to train a weak link in the ROM.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 06-12-2006 at 06:00 AM.

Ok why do I always see some of the bigger guys repping with 300-400 lbs who touch their chest and seem to only go around 1/2 way up? I always thought it was better for strength gains????

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    4. I doubt that most people who are natural are going to notice much difference in mass between someone who goes a full ROM and someone who goes a few inches above. I've never noticed this phenomenon you speak of, and I've been in gyms all over Canada, America, Philippines, Japan, and South Korea As far as MY current gym goes I am the only one who stops short of a full ROM and I am still bigger than anyone there (with the exception of the owner who is about 280 and I've never seen him train.)
    I can almost bet though that you and everybody else who sees results with partial rep benching are doing a ton of chest isolation work. If you happen to pick the bench press as your main chest exercise then you'll see a difference. Sure you'll recruit some muscle fibers to do some of the work but not nearly as much as you would when you bring the bar all the way down and release some of the triceps tension and put it on the chest.

Everybody can touch their chest. Not necessarily benching like a bodybuilder though. That's how you get f'ed up shoulders. Benching too high will put that strain on the chest. Bench lower on the chest, tuck the elbows (not flared out) and you can touch your chest and probably end up getting more out of it.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.