Thread: Can't get my front squat right

Hybrid View

Banned

Can't get my front squat right

Since I've come home from school, I've been lifting in my basement. I don't have a squat cage, so I thought I'd start doing front squats. Ha! I loaded up the bar with a massive 65 lbs. There were two problems:

1) My wrists were cocked backwards by the weight. This hurts! When I looked at the video on exrx, the guy was his arms crossed. Is there any way to do that after cleaning the weight?

2) I coudn't keep my balance. I almost fell forwards a few times!

I tried several sets with different amounts of weight, but couldn't get it right.

Any advice on how to do these? My calves are getting sick of hack squats!

All i can tell you is keep working at it, its really not hard. I just did it today for the first time when i was back squating and failed on my last rep so i let the bar go on the bottom stopper thing cuz i couldnt get it up and then the bar was way down low on the bottom and i took a lot of the weight off but left a 45 on each side on and then i went under the bar and front squated it up, and im not even strong so just keep practicing im sure itll come.
    Last edited by rbar89; 06-15-2006 at 11:15 PM.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

I was forced to front squat this past week in the hotel I was staying at because all they had was a bar and weight, with no rack...

I cleaned the weight up to my shoulders and tried doing the front squats with my wrists cocked... It really hurt my wrists even though i was only holding on to the weight with two fingers. (I have previous hockey-related wrist problems).

Anyway, for my next set I cleaned the weight to my shoulders again and created a solid 'shelf' for the weight to be supported on. The weight stayed even when I took my hands away. I supported the weight no-handed for a second or two while I crossed my hands over the bar for a more comfortable front squat position.

Just keep working with it, you'll get it. Be sure you prefect the bodyweight squat before you start adding weight.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

ya you should push your elbows up about as far as they can go and rest the bar above your chest/below your neck. Atleast thats how i was taught when doing the full squat clean. like this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tya5cbig.jpg
    Last edited by rbar89; 06-15-2006 at 11:36 PM.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Iron4Life
    I think the guys above have the hints for adjusting the bar so you can cross your arms.. tricky, but doable..

On your lean... any chance you are wearing cross-trainer sneakers? where the heel is up too high? Perhaps try barefooted (eek) squats.. or a pair of Chuck Taylors?

Also try squatting without the bar... do your heels come up and make you want to lean forward? If so, you may have tight calves.. try stretching them against a wall...

Australia - Where the women really go down under!
    haha a question i know the answers 2!

alright well i do the olympic style lifting so i do a lot of front squats for my Clean & Jerk...

ur wrists are probably sore from not being flexible enough, check out some of the Clean & Jerk lifts on this sight, a good person to look at would be Ben Turner (U20, 69kg record) and his 160kg Clean & Jerk...

http://www.qwa.org/natrecvideo/CONTENT.ASP

ur wrists get used to it after doing it heaps of times and always stretch them first!

You need to keep your toes off of the ground when you squat or u will lose balance...trust me it helps...its hard to remember sometimes but you have to burn it into your muscle memory...oh and keep ur elbows high!

i use to do those criss-crossed arm front squats but this is much easier...

hope that helps...
    Last edited by Fenrir; 06-16-2006 at 02:02 AM.
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."