Thread: Routine critique please (1 year checkup)

Routine critique please (1 year checkup)

Goals: Strength and muscular endurance
    Training time: 1 year next week

Tuesday - Chest/Back
    Flat Barbell or Dumbell Bench 5x5
    Deadlift 5x5 with the occassional week of 5x1 max effort
    Low Incline Dumbell Bench 2x10
    Bent Over Barbell or Dumbell Rows 2x4-6
    Shrugs 2x8-10
    Weighted Dips 2x6-8
    Pull Ups - 2x6-8

Thursday - Legs
    Squats 1x20
    Good Mornings 2x8
    Hack Squats 2x6-8
    Hamstring Curl (machine) 2x6-8
    Standing Calve Raises (machine) 2x10-12

Saturday - Arms and Shoulders
    Standing Military Press in Rack 5x5
    Arnold Presses 2x8-10
    Standing Lat Raises 2x10
    Narrow Grip Bench Press 5x5
    Dumbell Skull Crushers 2x8
    Barbell or Hammer Curls 2x4-6
    Chin Ups 2 x 6-8

Sunday
    Currently a fail safe for if I miss a Saturday or a day where I do a leg-based crossfit WOD.

It's WBB1 with a few substituitions and rep range changes. Just want to make sure I haven't mangled a routine seen as 'good' beyond usefulness.

Other fun facts: Despite never touching a cardio machine my resting heart rate has decreased a full 10 bpm and my blood pressure has dropped from 'borderline high' to middle of 'normal' (which is more than both had decreased from being a cardio bunny for six months before starting lifting). Go weights.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

You're routine follows really close to mine. So I love it. I'm not sure I know what's going on with the 1x20 squats though, but I'm a squat noob.

have you gained alot in the year?

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Looks fine.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

I'm still learning squats. Can you explain why you do 1x20 instead of
    WBB's 2x8-10. I wanna see what would be better for me between the two.

1. Yes, I've gained strength on most lifts (all lifts... just some more than others). I've put on a fair bit of lbm as well thanks to newbie recomp and a few tiny bulks here and there.

2. I do a set of 20 rep squats because I've read in a few places that it's good for overall muscular development. Plus, it leaves me wanting to puke, heart pounding. I credit most of the change in my stamina to them.

Weak Points I want to improve:

Shoulders and Arms. The 5x5 on these days is new, as are the arnolds. I'm just trying to get these guys up to speed. These excercises are the ones I haven't made any drastic improvement in since I started... I could military press 80 (granted for a set of 6 with bad form and a set of 4 with bad form) after a month. Now? I can nearly 5x5 80, but can't get 90 to full extension. I've seen some nice hypertrophic change to the region but my goal of military pressing my bodyweight remains as far away now as it was a year ago.

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    I can nearly 5x5 80, but can't get 90 to full extension. I've seen some nice hypertrophic change to the region but my goal of military pressing my bodyweight remains as far away now as it was a year ago.
    do you mean you can't hit 90 at 5x5? If so, personally i would drop one or two sets untill i can get the 90 at good form. So say 90 at 3x5, than next workout i might add a set to 4x5, than after a couple of workouts i would see if i culd jump to 5x5 with good form with 90's. Also are you going to failure on 5x5?
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

No, I mean I can't even get 90x1. I can do 85 for 3 or 4 but 90 is beyond me unless I drive with my legs (push press). I can get it to just over my head but not to extension. The difference between my max press and my 5x5 attempts are like 15 pounds on bench, 5 pounds on militaries, 70 pounds on dead, and 10 pounds on close grip bench.

Yes, I go to failure on the 5x5. I use a weight that I probably couldn't get a 6th rep on fresh. I try and get at least 3x5 of my desired working weight before having to drop and do the last 2 sets with something lighter and try to improve every week. It really worked to bring my DB bench numbers up which is why I wanted to try it with millies.

looks like a good routine, very similar to mine, the only problem i see is why are you doing squats 1x20 when your doing all the other major lifts 5x5, your not going to see the gains in squats and your legs as you are going to with the other lifts and soon you will be imbalanced, seriously you got a very good routine if you just change to 5x5 for squat. If you like doing 1x20 then do them every few weeks or so.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

I'd thought about that but truthfully my legs are more muscular now than they've ever been... they've probably been the region most changed. I'm at least 16% bodyfat so I don't think I need to worry about looking imbalanced any time soon. Plus, I do moderate rep work on the same day with the hacks.

ive used the exact routine for a while, well the split at least, chest and back together is amazing, the pump made it hard for me to move. lol.
    2000 or bust

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rbar89
    looks like a good routine, very similar to mine, the only problem i see is why are you doing squats 1x20 when your doing all the other major lifts 5x5, your not going to see the gains in squats and your legs as you are going to with the other lifts and soon you will be imbalanced, seriously you got a very good routine if you just change to 5x5 for squat. If you like doing 1x20 then do them every few weeks or so.
    ummmmmmmmmmmm that makes 0 sense at all. nice try though.