The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas

Because of such popular demand...

There has been alot of talk about my signature lately people liking it, people hating it, and people wanting to know who said it.

well today is yalls lucky day

i took some time and searched and found the actual quote in the actual post which was over 2 years ago. so you all can now get to read the actual post and the interaction

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...756#post589756

and for those who disagree ill let you know why its an idiotic statement. if you want to build a physique with a large amount of muscle on it then there is absolutely no way around doing these exercises. They are called the Big 3 for a reason, they work the most muscle in the body, for me there is really a big 5 bench, squat, deadlift, rows/or chins and over head pressing

now if your going for the slim cut ambercrombie look its possible. just throw some cable flyes in with a ton of crunches and a fw crackers a day to eat. Sure youll be slim and cut in no time

but for a quality physique with some quality muscle these three exercises are a must in your routine, these 5 really and all of there variations. and if you try to cinvince yourself other wise. Any routine thats worth the paper its written on or pencil its written with has these exercises or some forms or variations thereof, and if you tell yourself other wise then your fooling yourself.

think im lying ill challenege anyone. Anyone who wants to try. Draw up a routine weightlifting routine that works the entire body in any split you want 3 day 4 day 5 day that works every muscle of the body sufficently without forms of these exercises

if you think you can, post it then just take a very good look at it

now remember it can have any form or variation of those exercises.

ill stand by my claim that any routine worth its weight includeds the big 3 in it if a person wants to add muscle
    Last edited by BigCorey75; 06-21-2006 at 11:21 PM.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm fairly certain that someone could become quite large without benching, squatting or deadlifting. It may not be the most efficient way, and you will certainly be lacking any real world strength, but I'm sure it would work.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Simplistic
    Broken link.

I pretty much agree with you.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    fixed the link, scroll to post number 8
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

I agree with you to an extent, but you can certainly put on a fair amount of size without them. I'll just mock up a routine for fun. Perform these Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Day 1: Chest/Back

Rack Pulls
    Weighted Chest Dips
    Dumbell Flies
    Weighted Chins
    BO Rows

Day 2: Shoulders/Arms

Standing Military Press
    Hang Cleans
    Weighted Tricep Dips
    Arnolds
    JM Press
    Curls

Day 3: Legs

Hack Squats
    Good Mornings
    Leg Press
    Lying Hammie Curls
    Calf Raises
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    I'm fairly certain that someone could become quite large without benching, squatting or deadlifting. It may not be the most efficient way, and you will certainly be lacking any real world strength, but I'm sure it would work.
    My point exactly in this thread: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...t=81223&page=4
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-22-2006 at 12:23 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Yeah I think this is a bit of a generalization. Maybe even a stubborn way of looking at things.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia
    Yeah I think this is a bit of a generalization. Maybe even a stubborn way of looking at things.
    Probably, but e-arguing is extremely fun.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I am sure that clean and jerks and snatches would be adequate replacements for squatting and deadlifting.
    Last edited by TheGimp; 06-22-2006 at 01:48 AM.

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGimp
    I am sure that clean and jerks and snatches would be adequate replacements for squatting and deadlifting.
    Have you seen Olympic Lifters... Size is not their forte... unless you are talking about the SHW...

However, they are quite athletic, Strong and explosive.. but I don't think Mass or bulk is one of their qualities..

Now Big Corey.. I agree with you 99%..
    but when you put in the line "now remember it can have any form or variation of those exercises."..
    then that means I can do DBs of each of the big 3... or big 5..
    and that supports a program like Hockey66
    I have done DBs of Squats, DLs, BPs, Military Presses and Rows/Chins within 12-15% of maxes with BBs.. and I think that would keep my mass up

Perhaps you meant to put a NOT in there?
    "now remember it can NOT have any form or variation of those exercises."

PS.. I would really miss GMs, Shrugs and Dips.. but think it could be done with the 5 and the variations...
    Last edited by Bob; 06-22-2006 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    Have you seen Olympic Lifters... Size is not their forte... unless you are talking about the SHW...
    This may have something to do with having to make weight classes...

Banned
    [colour me]Utterly unsurprised at the source of the quote.[/colour me]

I will note that I disagree with some of Corey's comments earlier in the thread where he advocates against full body workouts.

"Doggcrapp style" training and others make effective use of a full body workout 3x a week and can lead to gains. That said, you aren't doing the SAME exercises 3x a week; you're varying them. I.e. (just for instance, not recommending this as a full workout) not Squats Bench and Deads every day but maybe Squats, Flyes and SLDLs Monday, Leg Press, Bench and Thrusters on Wednesday, and Leg Extensions, DB Bench, and Deads on Friday. Get it?
    Last edited by Relentless; 06-22-2006 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey66
    Rack Pulls - Deadlifts
    Weighted Chest Dips - Decline Bench / Bench

Hang Cleans - Front Squat
    JM Press - Bench Press
    Hack Squats - Squat / Deadlift
    Next!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Next!
    Sled Dragging, Military Press, Good Mornings, Pullups, Lunges.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Sled Dragging, Military Press, Good Mornings, Pullups, Lunges.
    I could argue that lunges are just squats with a forward foot placement.

You might be able to get some size without the big 3 but you will never be as big as someone who does.

Those lifts are a neccesity for anyone trying to make the most out of the time in the gym. As for olympic lifts I think they are some of the best things you can do when it comes to lifting, combining explosive power, speed, and strength.

Why not mix it up? But you can't call yourself a weightlifter if you dont squat deadlift or bench

Full body days are just as effective as split days imo, for over 2 years I've done the 3x a week full body routine. You cant get your muscles to full exhaustion but you can break each one down so it builds back a little stronger and you will improve from it. For a bodybuilder or powerlifter its impossible for an athlete it can work fine so any arguement depends on what your training for
    Last edited by Jinkies; 06-22-2006 at 12:59 PM.

I could argue that lunges are just squats with a forward foot placement.
    Oh that's just lame!

How about this then: You're not allowed to do any lift/exercise that involves the use of your legs, glutes, back, abs, chest, arms, shoulders. Try that one Anthony!
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 06-22-2006 at 12:58 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Oh that's just lame!

How about this then: You're not allowed to do any lift/exercise that involves the use of your legs, glutes, back, abs, chest, arms, shoulders. Try that one Anthony!

Worked for Popeye, he only worked forearms and he could kick ass

Oh that's just lame!

EASY! That's xian's workout!

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    You might be able to get some size without the big 3 but you will never be as big as someone who does.
    I bet you these people here have never squatted or deadlifted, and they're HUGE!!!
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    Worked for Popeye, he only worked forearms and he could kick ass
    Last time I checked, your forearms are part of your arms. That being said though, Popeye did pwn.

He must be hyuuge.
    Lifting Journal

the 900 club rofl, those people are monsters

Compound's just save so much more time. :/

Oh that's just lame!

You'd have jaw muscles that sharks wouldn't want to compete against.
    Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

It's all true.