The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WEAK bench...

Hybrid View

WEAK bench...

Laugh if you want.. but my bench is SO weak.

I am bencing 95lbs people.. 95lbs. I don't get it. I am happy with ALL my lifts, except the bench. I do 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 as my rep range per split.

Any advice to kick that bench into high gear.

I know when I was working out before at home, I was benching 130lbs.

I don't get it

I still ift though... even if it's weak, it's still doing something
    Stay Down With The

Runnin' with the Hatchet.. like WHUT?!?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Just keep it up. Chances are that the weight on your bench is going to increase rapidly.
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall

Twiztid-
    Yeah bro keep it up. Dedication and consistency in the gym will lead to results. For some it will take longer than others. Just keep it up and youll get there.

Thanks guys..

Now, check out my 'sore bicep' post and give me your thoughts.. i am stumped..

Thanks for the encourgement... i see people in teh gym, and i am like "I am gonna look like that one day..."

hehe.. but I only look for a second, because I am not gay.

Stay Down With The

Consistancy... that's the key.

Take out the drop set (12 reps)

What's the rest of your chest and tricep work like?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Not just that-- I'd also do it in reverse to get emphasis on strength, i.e., do the heavy work first and work down.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

decease, RIP
    ahh just keep at it. I have people smaller then me outbench me all the time. In fact I have never seen a guy my size do the low weights im doing That might not help at all, I just thought id share.

Dont worry, my bench sucks ass too. I bet every 177lb person who lifts can out bench me. My max isnt that bad, but as soon as I start doing reps in my routine, my ******* pussy ass shoulders give out.

What is giving out for you on the bench? You might want to work your stabilizer muscles extra hard. For me it is my shoulders that give me such a sucky ass bench.

if you can do 12 reps you're lifting too light

try this routine for a month and see if your max flat Barbell bench gos up at all

your second or last set of ecah of these lifts should make you fail.. if you aren't failing after 4-8 reps then add more weight

3 sets incline barbel bench press
    3 sets dumbbell decline bench press
    3 sets dumbbell flat bench press
    3 sets decline barbell bench press
    3 sets dumbbell decline flys (drop set on third set)
    3sets flat dumbbell flys (drop set on third set)

and make sure you're getting your protein shake w/ sugar after your workouts, and also a good high carb pre w/o meal

Re: WEAK bench...

Originally posted by Twiztid
    Laugh if you want.. but my bench is SO weak.

I am bencing 95lbs people.. 95lbs. I don't get it. I am happy with ALL my lifts, except the bench. I do 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 as my rep range per split.

twiz man, time to switch from the BFL routine to a real routine.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    dayÖonly then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

Re: Re: WEAK bench...

Originally posted by Avatar

twiz man, time to switch from the BFL routine to a real routine.

hehe.. awwwwwww, but I am in week #4 of 12...
    Stay Down With The

but not that small either
    90 pound bench? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Just kiddin bro, just keep lifting, and try increasing the weight by a little each bench session.

I don't really like the flat barbell bench press, seems more like an ego excercise more than anything, I prefer doing dumbells presses, easier on my shoulders.
    "Lord knows that one would be foolish not to listen to guys hiding behind a computer that use more gear than a stable of race-horses and all they have to show for it is a 195lb. piss-poor physique shriveled nuts and a nice case of gyno" - Lee Priest

I still ift though... even if it's weak, it's still doing something
    Not necesarily true. If you have lifted 130 then if your only lifting 95 then you are not overloading your muscles enough to progress. Unless you are coming back from a layoff. Of course many other variables exist such as frequency of training, rest and nutrition. How often are you benching? How many days per week do you train? What kind of split are you using?

You say you do 5 set of benches and i pressume you pyramid up to 6 reps at your max weight. If these 5sets are your working sets then i pessume you are doing a few warm up sets. That amounts to a lot of bencing per session and it could be that your mucles are too fatigued when the weight gets interesting.

Try a few warm up sets but only do 6-8 reps so you are not really feeling it and also stretch between a doorway inbetween. Then do only 3 working sets starting just below you max and go up. Leave at least 2 minutes between sets.

Alternatively try supersetting your benches with pushups, but again do no more than 3 sets.

Or even try using dumbell presses every other workout to confuse your muscles.

Another way to do it would be to use post activation whereby you would alternate between bench presses and dumbell fliers, each time resting for about 2 minues between exercise. I use this technique when things start getting stale, however get ready for some pain for the next few days.

As for mickeys suggested workout, dont even attempt this unless you are taking a **** load of drugs. And dont put sugar in your protien shakes, use glucose instead.
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough

lol are you nuts.. a **** load of drugs? that's called a hard core workout, for people that love being sore all week

when i wake up after a chest excericse i can't even stand the pain when i push on my pecs.. it's the feeling of growth, ive made incredible gains in my bench press (130lbs to 220 over the summer)

do that routine once every 5-6 days, also try not to do the same routine 2 weeks in a row

and glucose is the same as sugar isn't it? your body is depleted of simple carbs after you workout, and needs to be replenished ASAP. drinking a SHAKE (not meal) after your w/o is vital, make sure it's high in protein and high in sugar.. no fats or fiber because they'll slow obsorbtion

the sugar spikes your insulin as well as prevents fat/muscle loss, and helps the protein into your muscles quicker

also i'd take some vitamin c or any other anti oxidant after, plus some glutamine

i dont know why you'd say you need "drugs" for that workout

Wannabebig Member
    you would need to be on steroids to grow on that rountine as jock said. Growth Can only occur when the muscleS have healed and adapted to the overload from the workout E.G increased reps or weight.
    With the amount of sets your reccommend a natural even a genetical freak couldnt recover from that and thus not be able to increase the weight or reps. The idea is stimulate the muscle not kill it by using some champion druged up routine as see in 99% of the muscle "comics" marketed at bodybuilders.

Nice one tuttle, good to know at least some people know what they are on about. guess mickey is copying some pro's workout he got out of FLEX or something like that. Dont you listen to anyone in this forum mickey, some guys really know their ****.

I've seen girls bench more

LOL

just cut down on the reps, go heavier and few reps...

Bigger fewl
    I've seen girls bench 300lbs....

Dynamic training will shoot that bench up like nothing else. I don't mean 60% of your max, 80%+.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow!

Carpe diem

Milk.... it does the body good.

Damn mic! Thats a crap load of volume! That sounds exactly like what the writers of FLEX say the pros do. You have to be eating like 150000 calories a day to gain on that. You went from benching 130 to 220 over the summer? Thats 2 and a half months. You gained almost 100 pounds in 2 and a hlaf months!?! What are you taking!?! That is unreal!

I'm not taking anything just protein, glutamine, and creatine

that's 10 reps, not sets by the way..

i don't see why you'd "need to be on drugs for that"

most people do 3-4 excercises for one muscle group.. that is what.. 5 or 6? and it's only 3 sets each, takes about a half hour at most.. no other boards i post on say its crazy, they think it's a good routine

also this every 5-6 days, i'm fully recovered
    Last edited by mickeys; 01-27-2002 at 08:57 PM.

mic ever heard of overtraining? Thats 18 sets total for chest alone. When you have that much volume is take much more calories to recover from such a workout. If you want strength theres the ole 5 sets of 5 for bench. Keep reps low and weights around 90% of your max.

i do keep reps low, and the weight heavy

and it's not overtraining as long as you are eating correctly

creatine, glutamine,protein, lots of carbs, vitamin c, water, 6 meals a day, lots of sleep etc

as long as you have all that, it's not over training at all, i do this every 5 days and have had awesome strength gains in my chest

How long you been training mickey? few years ago i fell into the 'more is better' training programs. And i made relatively big gains from this plus suplements, creatine etc. Thing is i just started serious weigh training then. Seem like when you first start you cant help but make gains. But the gains stop and you gotta ask why. Start training smart, listen to some of the guys on this board and your gains may become even more rapid. And yeah i saw that guys web site too,the one who reckons there is no such thing as overtaining only undereating.

Some people do not believe in overtraining. Yeah a diet of ridiculous amount of calories. The routine I am on now is amazing. Weights are heavy! My lifts keep going up! Reps are low 6, 9, and 12 in a reverse pyramid fashion heaviest set is first (6 reps at heavist weight). The volume is low and since I begain the routine in late nov. my arms have grown almost a 1/2" and my diet? is a cutting diet 2500 calories a day. Cut down the volume and you'll recover faster and get bigger has been my exp.