The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Iron4Life

Pullovers after squats

Does anyone do Pullovers after Squating?
    I've been reading some of the old-time strength articles, Milo and such... and a lot of old-timers recommend doing this.

So I've tried it duing my last couple of squating sessions.. here are my thoughts, questions:

Using light weights seems to be better then heavy - 35 lb DBs instead of my usual 80 lb DB - I seem to be able to take a deeper breath, not worrying about the heavier weight. Anyone else?

Do them after 3-5 rep squat sets doesn't seem to do much.. but after a 10-20 rep set, they seem to really open up the lungs. Breathing for the next set seems to be more relaxed. Anyone have success with the lower rep sets?

Anyone do them after other exercises? I've been thinking about after DL'ing... but they are usually not as cardio intensive as Squats...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you talking about supersetting the pullovers or after the squat set is finished? I do them after I finish up on squats/deads/GMs when I switch up, but I don't find them opening up my lungs?

It's a bogus concept.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I do pull overs after bench! After having a lot of weitgh on my chest it feels good to stretch it out! I have never really paid attention to any kind of changes in my breathing though... I guess I may have to pay attention to that next time!
    "I lift, I sleep, I work, I eat (a lot), I run and then... I do it all over agian!"
    "Lifting is like a box of chocolates... onces you start you can't stop!"

Keep my body weight below 200lbs (for now)
    Aug 10 ('06)Bench: 115kg ______ goal by Dec 31: get back up to 115kg
    Get both my Dead and Squat above 120kg before 2008

journal

I do these after my squat/bench. I do see much with it after i squat but it definately feels like it stretches my chest a bit after a heavy bench day.

Iron4Life
    MixMaster why do you think it is bogus? From the old-timers, it seemed not so much for mass, but as a better way to open the chest cavity... like a real deep breath would do...

Risk - I was trying them as a Superset with Squat.. not like a real set.. more just for the stretch, to expand the lungs..

Otto & Jordan... Yep, I do them on Chest days.. when I combine Chest with Upper Back days. Like A giant set of BP, Bent Rows and then a heavy (for me anyway) 75-90lb pullover... my chest and back are exhausted after 3-4 of those Giant Sets..

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    MixMaster why do you think it is bogus? From the old-timers, it seemed not so much for mass, but as a better way to open the chest cavity... like a real deep breath would do...
    Because you can't open the chest cavity anymore. You're bone plates have fused and if you try to open the chest cavity anymore you'll have to break bone. Bone doesn't stretch, it breaks. You want to look bigger, get bigger.

Taking a big breath isn't really changing anything that much and there's no permanent way to keep it like that. A lot of things guys did back then were based on nothing but their hope that it would work. Chest expansion, that's one those myths.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Thanks HY.

I like to stretch my lats too, but it doesn't require pullovers, and you certainly aren't going to expand the ribcage.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Iron4Life
    HY and MMN.. thanks..
    I guess I was NOT looking to stretch the bones of the chest cavity...
    But perhaps, it's the expansion of the diaphram?
    I don't know.. I'm definitely not saying I know what I'm talking about or have the expertise.. but it just seemed like my recovery was faster, or my breathing was more relaxed faster after doing the pullover/stretch.

MixMaster... are you saying you like stretching your lats after Squats? I like stretching them after BP'ing.. by pulling on one the building supports nearby the BP bench..

Maybe I just need to taken deeper breaths after 20 rep squat sets?

i do my pullovers because its part of the 20 rep squat routine, a set after the squats and SLDLS.
    2000 or bust

I'm kind of on the fence about the whole chest-expansion thing. I realize that the hard science doesn't support it, but I noticed a definate difference in appearance when I started doing high-rep squats and pullovers when I was 18-19 - whether it was because of the pullovers or just consistent hard training, I don't know, but the difference in appearance was notable.

In any case, lower the weight for the breathing pullovers - it is a stretching exercise as much as anything and if the weight is too heavy, you will necessarily limit the range of motion and your ability to breathe deeply.
    Last edited by Sensei; 06-19-2006 at 07:11 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/