Thread: incline bench question

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

incline bench question

I'm a relative noob to working out, so I dont have a whole lot of variety in my exercises. My max 1rep bench is ~200, but i've noticed that while the lower part of my chest has some size, the upper portion is relatively smaller. Someone told me that I should do incline bench to hit the upper chest, and while this seems to work (hurts the next day) it's kind of a pain to alternate between flat and incline all the time. Can I abandon flat bench completely without losing much, or should I alternate? and if so, within one workout day, or from month-to-month? Also, is it normal to lift much less on incline bench? I'm struggling with 140lbs, and can barely get it off the bar, whereas with flat bench, I warm-up with that weight.

Incline Barbell Bench
    Flat Bench with Dumbells

There is your new chest regime

literally on the same page

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=81060

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    There is no such thing as "lower chest" Or "upper chest" for that matter.

The pectoralis major is ONE muscle. Any chest exercise will work it (and given sufficient stimulus and food) and make it grow.

Do heavy bench presses and dips. Eat lots. Get plenty of sleep. Repeat for six-eight months. Check progress. Repeat as often as desired. The End.
    Last edited by KingWilder; 06-19-2006 at 01:05 PM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder
    Yeah, I read that, but I'm not convinced that "Pectoralis Minor and Major grow together, there's no way to target certain areas". Wouldn't that mean that all bench excercises are all the same, since you can't target different areas, so one could just do flat bench or incline with the same results? Like I said, i'm new, and i'm just trying to get a handle on things.

Yes, it's true

eating (and obviously lifting also) is what will make you grow (and genetics plays a role in how your chest will develop as well)
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

You can't isolate different parts of your chest, BUT - you may find incline work hits YOUR chest better.

I prefer incline work myself. Try it, see how it feels to you.

Markdk's suggestion sounded really good to me.

Incline Barbell Bench
    Flat Bench with Dumbells

There is your new chest regime
    You could alternate chest workouts between incline bench and flat dumbbells, and flat bench with incline dumbbells for variety if you like.

Try doing the first one as a 5x5, and the second as 3x8.

And I suggest incorporating Loaded Passive Stretches into your chest work.

And if you're not making gains ... EAT!

Quote Originally Posted by yourdumb_imknot
    I'm a relative noob to working out, so I dont have a whole lot of variety in my exercises. My max 1rep bench is ~200, but i've noticed that while the lower part of my chest has some size, the upper portion is relatively smaller. Someone told me that I should do incline bench to hit the upper chest, and while this seems to work (hurts the next day) it's kind of a pain to alternate between flat and incline all the time. Can I abandon flat bench completely without losing much, or should I alternate? and if so, within one workout day, or from month-to-month? Also, is it normal to lift much less on incline bench? I'm struggling with 140lbs, and can barely get it off the bar, whereas with flat bench, I warm-up with that weight.

I had the same problem as you. Iv been doing incline only for about 3-4 weeks and so far my whole chest looks bigger and im making good gains. I actually prefer incline more. Your not going to loose strength on your flat bench if you only do incline.. I agree with built also.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Built likes my suggestion, I'm blushing :P

I alterante between flat bench, 70 kilos, and incline 55 kilos, every 4 weeks, I swich between two different types of workouts every month.

I like doing this cause then I keep interested. Changing it around not to drastically, just little changes.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.