Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant Fatigue

Still on my way... come back kid's Avatar

Constant Fatigue

First of all, this is my first post, and I am overwhelmed by the awesome info this forum has to offer. It basically has changed my whole thought process on how i will continue my training.

Stats:
    weight: 208 (230 12 weeks ago)
    height: 5'9"

My issue lies here. I work out 4 days a week, cardio included (running 1.5 miles pre workout). I just constantly feel tired up until i start my workout. I feel fine when i get rolling, just during the day i could nap at any givin time. My goal is to lose weight (obviously over weight) and gain muscle. My diet consists of a small breakfast, usually low fat yogurt, lunch i have a vegetarian wrap, and for dinner, i will have either chicken and veggies or fish and veggies, maybe some rice here and there. Where am I going wrong? Or is anything I'm doing right? I will value any and all input. Thanks for your time.

First of all stop with all the bloody running before your workout. Save as much energy as possible to train as hard as you can.
    What is your routine? Have you recorded your macros on www.fitday.com?
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    DavyRen - All around nice guy. Respectful to the end.

Sounds like you're starving yourself, try eating some more.

Dude, I agree with The Gimp. Before I started weightlifting I would always be tired, especially at a certain point in the day (around 5pm). This happened even during the summer when I was sleeping eight hours a day and running every day.

Now this problem is non-existant. I don't attribute it being solved to the weightlifting per se, but rather to the massive amount of calories I have been consuming. I am a vegetarian and with college, a job and a girlfriend my days are usually very busy, so I hardly would eat anything at all (1500 calories per day average). Now I am taking in around 2500-3000 (a lot for me) per day and even when I am getting 4-5 hours of sleep I am totally energized throughout the day. Plus now I am eating in a manner that is more conducive to keeping my metabolism up (6-7 small meals throughout the day - about one every three hours - instead of 2-3 medium to large sized meals later in the day).

Calories = fuel.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    Albert Einstein

I want them to make statues of me

Quote Originally Posted by DavyRen
    First of all stop with all the bloody running before your workout. Save as much energy as possible to train as hard as you can.
    What is your routine? Have you recorded your macros on www.fitday.com?
    What would you recommend to get the heart rate up before working out. I felt as if the running pre-workout was a kickstarter to get the blood flowin!

I am working on my fit day as I type. Forgive me for asking, but what are macros?
    Last edited by come back kid; 06-20-2006 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arjun
    Dude, I agree with The Gimp. Before I started weightlifting I would always be tired, especially at a certain point in the day (around 5pm). This happened even during the summer when I was sleeping eight hours a day and running every day.

Now this problem is non-existant. I don't attribute it being solved to the weightlifting per se, but rather to the massive amount of calories I have been consuming. I am a vegetarian and with college, a job and a girlfriend my days are usually very busy, so I hardly would eat anything at all (1500 calories per day average). Now I am taking in around 2500-3000 (a lot for me) per day and even when I am getting 4-5 hours of sleep I am totally energized throughout the day. Plus now I am eating in a manner that is more conducive to keeping my metabolism up (6-7 small meals throughout the day - about one every three hours - instead of 2-3 medium to large sized meals later in the day).

Calories = fuel.
    Thanks for the input Arjun. The problem I forsee is the losing weight issue. If need to drop at least an additional 15 lbs, would the additional calorie intake inhibit that from happening.
    Last edited by come back kid; 06-20-2006 at 07:33 AM.

your dont have reason to be depressed? not over or under sleeping?

To answer your original question, I think your fatigue is related to your diet (looks like ****), but what are your sleep patterns like? And what do you do for work?

As for warmups, I think they should contain the following three items:

1) increase temperature and heartrate
    2) improve mobility
    3) prepare the central nervous system (CNS)
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

A nice fast paced walk 5-10mins is good to warm up (works for me). Running burns off some of those glyco stores (much needed energy for lifting). So your making it tougher for yourself if your gonna run do it post WO.

From what you posted I wouldn't be surprised if your getting less than 1000cals total. THATs why your fatigued, your not eating enough. It's Ok, most people do this starting out.

Lets shoot for 1g/lb of LBM(fat free mass) of protein, and .5g/lb of LBM for fat. Those are MINIMUM per day, the rest of your cals should come from carbs.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Quote Originally Posted by Beef101
    your dont have reason to be depressed? not over or under sleeping?

Not depressed. Depends on what you consider as undersleepeing. i would say 5 to six hours a night is a safe average.

Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff
    A nice fast paced walk 5-10mins is good to warm up (works for me). Running burns off some of those glyco stores (much needed energy for lifting). So your making it tougher for yourself if your gonna run do it post WO.

From what you posted I wouldn't be surprised if your getting less than 1000cals total. THATs why your fatigued, your not eating enough. It's Ok, most people do this starting out.

Lets shoot for 1g/lb of LBM(fat free mass) of protein, and .5g/lb of LBM for fat. Those are MINIMUM per day, the rest of your cals should come from carbs.
    dd- I dont know what "1g/lb of LBM(fat free mass) of protein, or .5g/lb of LBM for fat.
    Forgive my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by come back kid
    Thanks for the input Arjun. The problem I forsee is the losing weight issue. If need to drop at least an additional 15 lbs, would the additional calorie intake inhibit that from happening.
    On the contrary, the additional calories could well aid your weight loss. If you are on too strict a calorie deficit then your metabolism begins to shutdown as your body goes into "starvation mode", and weight loss will slow to a crawl.

dd- I dont know what "1g/lb of LBM(fat free mass) of protein, or .5g/lb of LBM for fat.
    Find out your body fat percentage. Use this to calculate the total lbs of fat you are carrying. Subtract this from your total weight to determine your lean body mass (LBM). The generally accepted guidelines for daily intake of protein and fat are those values ddegroff provided.

LEAN BODY MASS = lbm

Do you know your body fat %?

1g of protein for every lb of LBM, so for me thats atleast 156g of protein per day. For fat thats about 75g per day.

I would say for you 170g of protein per day would be a good minimum, fat would be ~80g.

EDIT: I agree with GIMP (beat me to it), get your bf tested if not then you could start with what i stated.
    Last edited by ddegroff; 06-20-2006 at 08:19 AM.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    To answer your original question, I think your fatigue is related to your diet (looks like ****), but what are your sleep patterns like? And what do you do for work?

As for warmups, I think they should contain the following three items:

1) increase temperature and heartrate
    2) improve mobility
    3) prepare the central nervous system (CNS)
    I agree, my diet is **** (your signature tells me that). As for work, I'm a desk jockey, selling software to small to medium businesses. I average 5-6 hrs sleep nightly. your warmup comment states temp and heartrate, does that mean the running is ok? I'm not exhausted after my run, and i feel mentally ready to work out post run.

LEAN BODY MASS = lbm

Do you know your body fat %?

1g of protein for every lb of LBM, so for me thats atleast 156g of protein per day. For fat thats about 75g per day.

I would say for you 170g of protein per day would be a good minimum, fat would be ~80g.

EDIT: I agree with GIMP (beat me to it), get your bf tested if not then you could start with what i stated.
    No, i dont know my body fat %. I will take the diet advice, and give it a go. The 80g of fat worries me though, but hey, thats why im here, to learn! I will let you know the results.

The run is okay, but it only addresses #1. You should still do mobility work and prepare your CNS before lifting heavy. I'd also consider cutting back on distance ... at least until you figure out why you are tired.

80g of fat worries me though
    Fat doesn't make you gain weight, excess cals does.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGimp
    On the contrary, the additional calories could well aid your weight loss. If you are on too strict a calorie deficit then your metabolism begins to shutdown as your body goes into "starvation mode", and weight loss will slow to a crawl.
    Find out your body fat percentage. Use this to calculate the total lbs of fat you are carrying. Subtract this from your total weight to determine your lean body mass (LBM). The generally accepted guidelines for daily intake of protein and fat are those values ddegroff provided.
    Gimp- you seem wise beyond your years. I will take your advice in stride.

Can you define mobility? How would one prepare the CNS?

Fat doesn't make you gain weight, excess cals does.
    See! I'm learning. Thanks.

Can you define mobility? How would one prepare the CNS?
    Mobility would basically be taking all your major joints through complete range of motion.

To prepare the CNS, gradually build up to your working weight instead of doing your heaviest set first.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Mobility would basically be taking all your major joints through complete range of motion.

To prepare the CNS, gradually build up to your working weight instead of doing your heaviest set first.
    thanks Anthony.

I agree with Anthony's approach... try light jogging for 5 minutes, then move onto the warmups with weights. I like taking 4 or 5 warm-up sets before moving onto the heavier working weights for the first exercise of a bodypart.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

It seems relatively impossible to dispute Anthony on his advice. I enjoy the running, but it seems to not fit into any of these discussions. i would like to attribute my current weight loss to the fact that i am jogging. when would be a good time to run, if not pre-workout?

A quick run before your training can be a part of a good warm up, you just have to include other things as well. Perhaps under 10 minutes at a moderate pace? If you're a decent runner, a 10 minute 1.5 mile is reasonable. Or you could run a mile after your workout. Or you could run on your non-lifting days.

I certainly won't tell you to avoid running - if you enjoy it, do it!