Thread: Effectiveness of Smith Machines....

In vein

Effectiveness of Smith Machines....

I was just wondering how much less effective is, say, a standard flat bench press on a Smith machine as opposed to 100% free weight barbell? the reason I ask is because this is my third week back in the gym after a small layoff, so I have been doing bench with the Smith Machine in order to built my core strength, stability and get that balance back before I jump into what I prefer doing; dumbell bench. I am afraid if I start lifting heavy dumbells this soon I might hurt my shoulders or something so I am playing it safe.

But anyway, is the Smith version a lot less effective than the [b]barbell[b] ?

Quote Originally Posted by SsiK
    Yes.

if you dont have a spotter and you are going heavy than smith is "OK" but a spotter is better. And there is no need to jump into heavy weights off the bat. Just use less weight and gradually work your way up to the weights you were using before, no need to do smith unless you want to.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

In vein
    You can still grow from using the smith machine though right?

You can still grow from using the smith machine though right?
    You'll grow as long as you eat a lot, but using a barbell will produce much greater strength gains than using a smith machine.

In vein
    Yeah I know man, I just felt like since this was my first few weeks back in the gym I just needed something to go somewhat heavy but able to mainstain control and the smith machine is a good choice. I am trying to get that core strength and balance back, and it has now been 3 weeks so next week I'ma be back at the dumbells again.

Just stick with the free weights and take it easy at first. You have to get yourself back into shape before you start heaving heavy weights around.

In vein
    Man, I feel bad for hitting the SM these past two weeks. Today I did flat bench on the SM but decided to get on the dumbells for incline. I'm afraid my workout now has all been useless these past 2 weeks since I've used the Smith. I was sore though, but now I feel bad.

My friend had a serious injury last August. He was just getting back in the gym and he decided to start off with some Dumbell Presses and he ****ed his shoulder all up. Now he is out again with a serious injury.
    Last edited by SsiK; 06-19-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Banned
    dont feel bad. just learn whats better for you and do it next time

Banned
    dont feel bad. just learn whats better for you and do it next time

Wannabebig Member
    I was just wondering how much less effective is, say, a standard flat bench press on a Smith machine as opposed to 100% free weight barbell? the reason I ask is because this is my third week back in the gym after a small layoff, so I have been doing bench with the Smith Machine in order to built my core strength, stability and get that balance back before I jump into what I prefer doing; dumbell bench. I am afraid if I start lifting heavy dumbells this soon I might hurt my shoulders or something so I am playing it safe.

How does benching on the smith build core muscles?
    Doesn't the smith stabilize and balance the weight for you as well?
    Basically,go light on freeweights so u dont end up like your buddy amd injure yourself.LISTEN TO YOUR BODY,NOT YOUR BRAIN!!INJURY FREE BABY!!
    Currently: Goals:
    Weight:290 220 by end of year
    Bench:205 300
    Squat:155x8 400
    Deadlift:0 ???

seriously...don't use the smith machine....just use lighter dumbells.....and go heavier each time....

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse