Thread: why isn't my bench gaining but my squat is sky rocketing.

Wannabebig Member

why isn't my bench gaining but my squat is sky rocketing.

it's been about 2 months or more since i have seen gains on the bench but my squat has gone up like 80 lbs maybe more haven't maxed out in a while.
    My clean has had moderate gains went from 180 to about 200.

is this the result of genetics are what? my dad doesn't seem to have a bigger lower body.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    What's your diet and training routine look like? Have you tried EATING more?
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Banned
    That's a common thing. Bench is WAY slower to increase for most people. Try focusing on a different movement for a while - inclines, declines, dumbells, etc. Work something else for a while then come back to flat bench.

Make sure you are eating enough and getting enough rest,
    Gains will come slowly and may be in the form of a rep or two here and there, rather than 10 lb increases.

Good luck!

Try Db bench variations for a while. That really helped me.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff

i agree... change is what it sounds like you need... also remember that a clean and a squat use alot more muslces than a bench.. so the combination of all those muslces getting a little bit stronger can add up to a big change in weight for those movements

also... just eat more... maybe you have been eating enough to increase those movements but not your bench.. when in doubt eat and sleep

I have the exact same problem. In the last year my bench has went from around 145 x 6 up to 155 x 7 (no idea on maxes because I don't do them). Now my squat has went from 225 x 6 to 275 x 8. I also put on 25lbs and maintained my low bf during this time.

It seems like I've tried every variation to get my bench up. I've done flat, incline and decline with BB and DB. Even resorted to a smith machine for a few weeks. I've tried messing with rep ranges 3-10, tried doing negatives. Got benching advice from some powerlifters at my gym.

Really, the only time I ever made progress was when I just flat benched for like 8 sets then did the rest of my chest / tri work (dips, skull crushers, pec dec)

Wannabebig Member
    diet 2800-3000 cals max grams of fat 80 protein min 180

bench routine was 5x5 changed to another one now 1x8 warm up
    2x4 190 3x3 200, 205, 210 add 5lbs every week to each lift so far so good.

squat 1x8 135 5x5 275, 285, 295, 305, 315
    clean 1x6 125 4x4 170 175 180 185

i also do rows, dips, close grip bench, flat flies, curls, calf raises, leg extensions, shrugs, step ups, lunges, some track machine

i split this up and do all upper body on monday and wednesday
    all lower body on tuesday and thursday.

oh yeah and thanks for the post so far
    Last edited by mesayseo; 06-14-2006 at 10:41 PM.

I'm bringin sexy back lifter4life's Avatar
    how's your form? I know that a lot of people *think* their form is good but try having someone else critique it.

Wannabebig Member
    well i'm not gonna lie people tell me that my form is good but my breathing sucks.

Occupational Hypnomania
    Just suck as much air in as you can on descend tighten your abs and exhale on ascend, not that tough. For me my deadlift and bench is going up alot but my squats are going slower for some reason, even though my forms good.
    Last edited by Turnip; 06-14-2006 at 11:29 PM.

uhh that happens to most everyone, its normal, it happened to me too, so just keep at it.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Wannabebig Member
    well thanks for the posts. i think the only reason i am even worried about it is because i see everyone else going up on the bench but then again i never see them do anything besides chest and arms.

Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff
    Same here...few years back when I was in college I was stuck at 225 for 7 reps for a good while...I switched to DB's for 3 weeks or so and went back and 225 was so light for me...got 12 reps

Banned
    You should determine where your sticking point is in your lift. Your bench is only as good as your weakest body part. If it's your tris that are weak, try doing some extra tri excercises. If it's your chest, try doing some chest isolation exercises.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the advice! I will do everything you guys said! Thanks

Not everything will improve at the same rate, and sometimes you'll see outstanding progress with one lift, and none (or regression) with another.

It's the way it goes. Keep on doin gwhat you are doing with the squats, and play around with things on the bench.

And don't worry so much.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Mental

Samething was happening to me. My squat was going up like crazy, but not Bench or any of my chest excercises. I was overthinking it, I started to use a spotter and my bench (pounds) started going up. Went back to working out by myself and it kept on going up.

^^ What Jarhead said.

My ATF squat is barely increasing (And the poundage is almost the same as my bench press, it's ridiculous!!). Although my bench is barely progressing also. But the problem is their both the same ... how sad.

I guess it's because I can focus easier while benching. My heart rate doesn't go up like crazy when I bench. Unlike squats, my heart rate goes up crazy and I backout too easily. I'm a sissy like that.... I start thinking about each rep and how uncomfortable it feels other than actually just doing it.... and when I do that, I just lose my breathing control and it feels even more uncomfortable.
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 06-18-2006 at 09:19 PM.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

If you're using the 5 x 5 routine try switching back to 3 x 12,10,8

Worked WONDERS for me, that and my high carb diet, that is
    Max Lifts:------------------ Goals
    Bench Press: 215lbs------- 250lbs
    Squat:300lbs------------ 300 lbs
    Deadlift: 335------------ 350 lbs
    ----------------------
    Total: 850lbs ---------- 900 lbs

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Check your benching form. After that, just keep at it and don't stay on any set routine for too long. And keep eating.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    What's your diet and training routine look like? Have you tried EATING more?

well since his other lifts are going up it seems to me that it wouldnt be his diet. Switch up your routine try dumbell work
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1