The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Lower Back Pain After Deads

I searched the lower back pain threads, but they were all a little different. I was wondering if anyone has had something similiar to what I have now.
    I've been doing deads for about 2 months now, so I feel like I have at least a decent idea about what I am doing. Being new to it, I have been progressing pretty quickly. I went from 205 to 225 to 250 to the 275 I did yesterday in successive weeks. I never felt like I was overdoing it in any of those weeks, always 5 sets of 4 reps. Yesterday when I was doing my sets, it seemed heavy but I never lost the arch in my lower back and never felt any pain while doing it. (Although I can remember a few reps when I straightened my legs too early and did a good morning-type movement in the lower back to finish it). After the workout it started getting sore in a way that I hadn't felt before and today there is pretty intense pain when I bend down the wrong way or when I am getting up from a chair, etc. 800 mg Ibuprofen every 6 hours hasn't made it go away.
    I have read about people with shooting nerve pain down the legs or up the spine...I don't have either of those, but in the lower back area it does hurt like hell. Again I never felt anything bad while doing the deads, then when I did flat bench it hurt a little to get an arch in my back, then it just got worse throughout the night. I hope it is just extreme muscle soreness, but it is enough that all of the people at my office were laughing at me for walking around like an old man (I can't stand up straight all the way and walk).
    How bad did I **** things up?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bad form maybe?

there is a difference between muscle soreness and pain

see if it feels better before your next deadlift session and try and correct your form
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Probably right....like I said I know there were a couple of reps that I got out of rhythm and pulled up with my lower back after my legs straightened too early.
    I just got up after laying on an ice pack for 20 minutes and it feels better than it has all day (still hurts). That's a good sign for it just being muscular isn't it?

Hey alex, i've experience the same problem! Quick question though After you finish the Deads and stand back up normal does the pain just shoot up almost immedatly?

kw1k-
    It really didn't bother me that much right afterwards. just felt very tight and worked. I lifted for about 45 minutes afterwards and noticed it didn't feel quite normal (ached a little more when arching for a bench), but nothing bad. Just got worse and worse. The next morning it felt kind of like a stiff neck has in the past where there is just an intense stabbing pain if you bend the wrong way.

I went to my wife's physical therapist this morning. She believes it is just muscular after doing an exam. The presence of shooting pains into the legs can be a sign of something more serious (mine was isolated to the lower back). I didn't have any pain with pressure directly on the spinal column either. Heavy icing yesterday and the ultrasound machine this morning have allowed me to get back to work (being a dentist I bend over a lot). She is going to get me on a program for strengthening my core better, as I am pretty new to anything besides machines and dumbells. With deadlifts, squats, RDL, good mornings, bentover rows all in my program, I am probably trying to increase weights faster than I should.

I have almost the exact same symptoms. First, you're gonna have to take a couple of weeks off from deads, and probably squats. In fact, I'd stay away from the gym altogether for a couple of days.

For me the problem seems to be muscle stiffness, stretching is helping. Not stretching before lifting, but just stretching a few times a day, everyday. Stretch your hamstrings, obliques, and hip flexors. There are also some other torso, glute stretches you may want to try. The reason the pain gets worse from sitting is that your hip flexors are contracted and since they probably have crappy flexibility (like mine) they pull your hips over forward when you stand which puts added stress on your already sore and tight back muscles.

I recommend a trip or two to a PT for some stretching tips.

I would also try lowering the weight I don't like moving up in weight to quickly when it comes to squats and deadlifts. I like to concentrate on form and slow movements instead of huge weight.

Wannabebig Member
    there is a difference between muscle soreness and pain

see if it feels better before your next deadlift session and try and correct your form

hey, i had the same problem and the same general question,

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=118217

i said i had good form... i didn't have good form. If its out of form just a tiny bit it's BAD. The way i got it figured out is working out with the pain. You easily figure out where your going wrong and whats bothering you and can correct it from there.
    Last edited by motor head; 02-14-2009 at 10:00 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by motor head View Post
    hey, i had the same problem and the same general question,

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=118217

i said i had good form... i didn't have good form. If its out of form just a tiny bit it's BAD. The way i got it figured out is working out with the pain. You easily figure out where your going wrong and whats bothering you and can correct it from there.
    Working out with the pain is not a good idea at all.

prob not, but at least when i did I could see where i was losing form and corrected it. Hope ya' get it figured out.

Wait a little while for yourself to heal up, then go deadlift with moderate weight and film yourself. Compare the film with how more experienced deadlifters/coaches go about technique and form. If you still can't see the problem then post the video in the PL section for them to take a look at.
    Last edited by CrazyK; 02-15-2009 at 10:38 PM.
    "You shall invite to the path of your Lord with wisdom and kind enlightenment, and debate with them in the best possible manner. Your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path, and He knows best who are the guided ones."- Quran 16:25

"A life unexamined is not worth living"- Socrates

Wannabebig Member
    You better go for a checkup or make sure that your back is not hurting anymore before you do any form of lifting.