Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calves locking up a lot in soccer

calves locking up a lot in soccer

for some reason, my calves lock up (cramp) quite frequently while playing soccer games.... ive been told eating a banana b4 a game can help prevent it (for the potassium)...

well ive tried eating a banana and it still happens sometimes.... even after i wear a bandage that holds my calves in place....

also, i have had no previous issues with my calves... they are healthy and i work them out all the time... so i dont know wat the issue is...

anyone experience this ?
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 175lbs
    Body Fat around 12%
    Biceps: 14.5"
    Chest: 38"

Bench Press: 225 x 10 reps and 275 pounds x 1 rep
    Deadlift: 405 pounds x 1 rep
    Squat: 335 pounds x 3 reps

Eat a couple of banana's DAILY, directly before a game will have no effect.

Combat Infantryman
    You're stretching, right? My calves will seize up for days after running/weights if I don't spend 20-30min stretching out before and after working them.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

How much water are you drinking? Dehydration can lead to cramping.
    Bench - 315*1 Goal 325
    Squat - 275*4 ATF Est 1RM = 300 Goal 310
    Deadlift - 405 x3 Est 1RM = 429 Goal 455

Goal by 6/1 1010

I just started doing real squats and deadlifts about a month ago so hopefully these will grow quickly.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...ner=JaCelica2k

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78791

i drink lots of water daily... and i eat a banana almost daily as well in my protein shake...

and yes i stretch it out after every workout/game/practice... and before
    Body Fat around 12%

When did your season start? What does your conditioning training look like? Is it just running or do you do sprints, intervals, shuttles, etc? Sometimes when you're just running all the time and then start playing soccer (which involves constant running but also a lot of speed change, some stops and turns etc.) your muscles are not ready for it. You need to adapt to it.

This only really applies if you haven't bene playing for a while and are just startng again.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

You could have issues in another area and as a result they are showing up in the calves. It's tough to say. Some foam rolling would help relieve any tension pockets you may have.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    When did your season start? What does your conditioning training look like? Is it just running or do you do sprints, intervals, shuttles, etc? Sometimes when you're just running all the time and then start playing soccer (which involves constant running but also a lot of speed change, some stops and turns etc.) your muscles are not ready for it. You need to adapt to it.

This only really applies if you haven't bene playing for a while and are just startng again.
    this could be it since my season just began.... lets hope this problem doesn't keep happening...
    Body Fat around 12%

if i play basketball earlier in the day AND then play my soccer game at nite, would that be a big problem for my calves? or would it actually kind of warm them up?
    Body Fat around 12%

I read some where creatine will make you cramp up a little easier but nothing major.
    Stats

Current(May1st) (June8th) Goals(September 1st)
    Bench 245 -------255-----300(reached 225x6 june 14th)
    Squat 350 -------injured----450
    Deadlift 315 ------injured----370

height 5"11
    weight 185(stay at 185)
    40(tested 4/19/06)4.75

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

You could also be running on your toes.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

all soccer players run on their toes...
    Body Fat around 12%

You need to drink some Gatorade, you need some sodium and Gatorade has sodium in it. Dehydration is a big problem, stretch too... Potassium, all of it. Just try the Gatorade... should help. I only cramped up once in my calves through football, and basketball once because of dehydration. The sodium helps the liquid stick in the muscles and other tissues that are depleted.
    "What we do in this life echoes in eternity!"
    Maximus

...and then there was iron Andre3000's Avatar
    Learn how to run correctly, that could be your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre3000
    Learn how to run correctly, that could be your problem.
    what do you mean learn how to run correctly?? ive been running since i was a lil kid...

i used to do track, played AAA hockey, and elite level soccer with training coaches, etc...

i do not think i need to learn how to run... that is just an insult
    Body Fat around 12%

No it's not. I've played soccer since I was a little kid (4 years old) to. It doesn't mean I automatically know how to run correctly. Loosen up a bit. It's not a personal insult.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Knight
    You need to drink some Gatorade, you need some sodium and Gatorade has sodium in it. Dehydration is a big problem, stretch too... Potassium, all of it. Just try the Gatorade... should help. I only cramped up once in my calves through football, and basketball once because of dehydration. The sodium helps the liquid stick in the muscles and other tissues that are depleted.
    The sodium in Gatorade is to help mainly with glucose uptake, as your cells need sodium to be coupled with glucose for absorption.

To the OP: is it both calves? At the same time? Late in the game?

...and then there was iron Andre3000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by charles_316
    what do you mean learn how to run correctly?? ive been running since i was a lil kid...

i used to do track, played AAA hockey, and elite level soccer with training coaches, etc...

i do not think i need to learn how to run... that is just an insult
    Dude, it wasn't an insult, a lot of people just don't know how to run correctly when it comes to sprinting, and I had no idea you had done all these sports. Chill man. You probably just need to loosen up then, use some bengay, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TRITON
    The sodium in Gatorade is to help mainly with glucose uptake, as your cells need sodium to be coupled with glucose for absorption.

To the OP: is it both calves? At the same time? Late in the game?
    no it is never both calves... and yes it is usually late in the game... the last time it happened was my left calf about 3/4 into the game during 2nd half
    Body Fat around 12%

Quote Originally Posted by Andre3000
    Dude, it wasn't an insult, a lot of people just don't know how to run correctly when it comes to sprinting, and I had no idea you had done all these sports. Chill man. You probably just need to loosen up then, use some bengay, etc.
    is bengay like RUBa535 stuff (gives muscles a warm feeling)? cuz ive been told to try it out
    Body Fat around 12%

Hey chum...

I don't play soccer, but I do a lot of running and I play baseball. I have the same problem with my calf muscles crapping up, but only when I play baseball. I have a cheep pair of baseball cleats and after changing the insoles I was fine. Yeah that's right....I'm Gel'in it now!!!!!

s.

Wannabebig Member
    you really want to be drinking more, every opportunity during the game, free kick,substitute, player down injured.......get water into you, and you have to stretch to "the max" happens to me when im playing sometimes, but rarely now that i keep hydrated

I tend to get calf cramps if I do some sort of activity (running, bball, squats or leg press) for a while, then have a gap between it and another activity. Even if the gap is 10 minutes, If I cool down I might as well go home 'cause my calves are DONE.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by wannabebig...er
    you really want to be drinking more,

In the animal world we have seen that the vast majority of species live in societies, and that they find in association the best arms for the struggle for life: understood, of course, in its wide Darwinian sense -- not as a struggle for the sheer means of existence, but as a struggle against all natural conditions unfavourable to the species. The animal species, in which individual struggle has been reduced to its narrowest limits, and the practice of mutual aid has attained the greatest development, are invariably the most numerous, the most prosperous, and the most open to further progress. The mutual protection which is obtained in this case, the possibility of attaining old age and of accumulating experience, the higher intellectual development, and the further growth of sociable habits, secure the maintenance of the species, its extension, and its further progressive evolution. The unsociable species, on the contrary, are doomed to decay.

Peter Kropotkin, Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution (1902), Conclusion.

Banned
    Running more on your toes IS running correctly when you're wearing cleats and playing a game in which you want to be able to plant and turn quickly/suddenly. Running in soccer and football and rugby and such is NOT the same as running track or road running, etc.

I occasionally get calf cramps like that towards the end of my Saturday football games. We play for about 2.5-3 hours and towards the end, I find I can lock up one or both calves when sprinting or leaping into the air to make a catch, etc.

What helps:
    1) the frequency of the cramps has been drastically reduced since I started using the Animal Pak multivitamin pak. I attribute this to having adequate levels of all things needed in my body and therefore changing the way I perform, sweat, etc.... I think I am excreting less salt when I sweat for some reason... (more below)
    2) hydration is KEY; not just with water but with gatorade/powerade/etc. get those electrolytes back into your body. Salt is also a factor... I am a heavy sweater and a 'salt caker' (i.e. I will sweat out a lot of salt and it cakes up along my hairline, eyebrows, etc.). THis is part of the reason I recommend Gatorade instead of just water... there are salts in there.
    3) fatigue is a factor... if you're like me you are competitive enough not to want to back off, ever, but the reality is part of cramping is in muscle fatigue. You have two choices here: either find a way to play a little less intensely or improve your muscle conditioning to cope.

A good summary article here:
    http://www.gssiweb.com/reflib/refs/6...TOKEN=22244149
    Last edited by Relentless; 06-05-2006 at 06:49 AM.