Thread: Bicep Tricep Tips!

Hybrid View

In vein

Bicep Tricep Tips!

I was wondering, is 12 sets of Bi's and 12 sets of Tri's too much to where it could be counterproductive? Even if one is eating many calories? Thanks for the advice everyone.

Depends. You need to evaluate your routine as a whole.

The single most effective thing to make your arms bigger? Get bigger.

You don't get bigger doing curls.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Depends. You need to evaluate your routine as a whole.

:withstupi x 2

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

In vein
    Some say 12 sets would be too much though. That's why I'm wondering if it generally is to the point of being counterproductive.

I give my tris and bis each 4-6 sets a week and they overpower the rest of me, could be my genetics, but 12 sounds like a lot.

...now you got me thinking about my routine...I do about 14-16 sets for my chest. I do about 12 sets for my bis and tris.

Quote Originally Posted by SsiK
    Some say 12 sets would be too much though. That's why I'm wondering if it generally is to the point of being counterproductive.
    It depends. You need to evaluate your routine as a whole.

"You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

In vein

Well I mean no **** if you want to become bigger, "Get Bigger." Duuuuhhh. You really completely avoided my question here.

But thanks anyway.

The time I allocate in the gym to doing 24 sets for my arms I could allocate doing 24 sets of compounds. Remember, every upper body movement you do you are using your arms in conjunction. Sounds like it will lead to a high frequency demand on your arms.

No I didn't. The answer to your question is:

I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

In vein

That isn't answering my question; Generally speaking, could 12 sets be more overproductive than anything?

Quote Originally Posted by SsiK
    That isn't answering my question; Generally speaking, could 12 sets be more overproductive than anything?
    Your being stubborn dude.

Evaluate your routine. If you believe its doing nothing for you, your getting nothing from it, drop it entirely or shorten it. Whatever you feel is right. Everyone is different and everyone reacts to exercises differently to a certain degree of course. Trial and error man, dont be afraid to play around with splits/exercises/movements/intensity techniques...
    Figure out what works for you.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Banned
    As a comparison...I do 9 bis and 9-10 tris.

I can back Paul up... I used to do an arm day in my routine and blast my bis and tris. I saw no progress in size at all. I evaluated my routine and dropped the arm day. I gained about 10-15 lbs of muscle and my arms have never looked bigger. With chinups and pullups theres no need for curls.. and my tris get hit hard from bench press.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

It all depends on your routine and your current level. 12 sets may be fine.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

In vein
    Here is my routine:

Mon: Chest
    Tues: Back
    Wed: Legs
    Thur: Shoulders
    Fri: Bi/Tri
    Sat: OFF
    Sun: OFF

Reread my post.

Let's dissect it, shall we?

first, I said 'It depends'. That tells you that 12 sets might be counterproductive, might not.

Then, I said 'You need to evaluate your routine as a whole'. That tells you that the number of sets you do for a specific bodypart needs to be considered along woth everything you do for every bodypart. Not just what you train on what day, but the intensity, load, volume, frequency, etc, etc, etc.

Then I said 'The single most effective thing to make your arms bigger? Get bigger.' The point here is that getting bigger is more important than how you train your arms.

Finally, I said, 'You don't get bigger doing curls.'

Which means instead of worrying about how often you train your arms, go do some ****ing squats.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

In vein

Then I said 'The single most effective thing to make your arms bigger? Get bigger.' The point here is that getting bigger is more important than how you train your arms.

Are you referring to diet here? That is very general.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Diet, rest and training the big compound movements.

It's very simple, it's not rocket science.

Eat lots (most of it clean). Rest lots (take naps during the day if you have to). Avoid isolation movements like curls about 90% of the time and focus on the big movements like squats, deadlifts, dips, chins, OH, flat bench press, leg press and T-bar rows.

Repeat as often as needed.

i have 3 sets for biceps a week...and none for triceps....but my arms have grown a lot in the past 6 months....i honestly believe heavy benching and military pressing will be enough for your tris, and pullups and rows are enough for bis.....i don't think you need to put too much emphasis in the small things like....say curls or tricep kickbacks

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

Your question has been answered about a dozen times. Thread closed. Do NOT start another thread about biceps/triceps or it will be closed too.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310