The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Correct and incorrect form for power cleans?

I've seen the Ironmind videos on Youtube with Nicu Vlad, Stefan Botev, and Kakhi Kakiachvili doing cleans (and snatches). I figure they have correct form.

But, as far as us mere mortals go, do the following two videos demonstrate correct and incorrect form for power cleans?

Correct

Incorrect

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Video 1 is alright. #2 is just begging for an injury. You'd be in pretty good shape if you could do it like in #1.

cameronp81
    wheres the squat clean
    age-24
    height- 5'9''
    weight-191
    bench-305
    c&j-280
    snatch-185
    squat-340
    deadlift-435

Number 1 is good
    Number 2 looks like me. (bad)

He's talking about power cleans. If you want a deep squat variety, start a new thread on the topic.

One looks very well done. Using the hips, back and has a postivie acceleration all the way through.

Wannabebig Member
    The reason why I made this is because I find that most people who learned how to "power clean" in middle and high school do it like the guy in video #2.

I guess the power clean just involves a dip in the knees or at most a quarter squat.

I asked one of my friends to show me how to do it, and he did it almost exactly like the second person.

I thought to myself, "Isn't this ridiculously unsafe? Why do they have to shoot their knees beyond their toes?" That's why I made a thread in this sub-forum as to whether or not Olympic lifts were dangerous.

Then, I kept taking a look at the animations on Exrx and the Ironmind clips on Youtube, and I concluded that the Olympic full squat method was absolutely safe.

Even then, is it really a clean if all you do is 'forearm' it? It looks like they don't pull their bodies underneath the bar, and their elbows don't point forward.

Quote Originally Posted by erik-the-red
    I guess the power clean just involves a dip in the knees or at most a quarter squat.
    Anything caught above parallel is a power clean

I thought to myself, "Isn't this ridiculously unsafe? Why do they have to shoot their knees beyond their toes?" That's why I made a thread in this sub-forum as to whether or not Olympic lifts were dangerous.

Then, I kept taking a look at the animations on Exrx and the Ironmind clips on Youtube, and I concluded that the Olympic full squat method was absolutely safe.
    "Absolutely safe" might be pushing it. I've broken my wrist doing cleans (just recovered from it, actually), and the jerk has always caused knee problems for me. The first was probably just because I chose my weights like an idiot, but I know at least a couple other people who've fractured their wrists as well.

Even then, is it really a clean if all you do is 'forearm' it? It looks like they don't pull their bodies underneath the bar, and their elbows don't point forward.
    Pretty much anything where the bar goes from the ground to the shoulders is a clean, so yeah it is. You just limit the amount of weight you can move substantially if you use the arms to get it up there. And many people simply don't have the flexibility to wrack the bar properly and are either too lazy or stupid to work on it. That's why the elbows don't point forward like they should, and it can be dangerous if the bar is ever pulled a bit low.