Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Love Me Some TNation (or, read up new folks).

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    So again, where's this article that tells you to get 90% of your carbs from fruit?
    It says "All Canadians MUST EAT 90% of the their carbs from fruit, and buy SPIKE," in every T-nation article, but it's hidden code in the HTML.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    I've been reading t-mag since I discovered weightlifting and the fitness boards. And even in my newb status I could see the ******ation of many of their articles. The point was that the credentials of a single writer (or lack there of) do not ensure the validity of the website or magazine as a whole.
    No one argued that the credentials of a single writer ensured the website's validity, but CC did argue that the entire website isn't valid because he disagreed with 3 of the writers. I argued that the validity of the website is ensured by over a dozen giants in the fitness training and diet industry: Thibeadeau, Poliquin, Ian King, Dave Tate, Eric Cressey, John Barardi, Mike Robertson, and David Barr to name a few.

There are some entertaining and inspiring articles, but if that is where you go to learn about training and diet then I think you missed the boat.
    LOL yea... what am I thinking reading an article by Dave Tate and Mike Robertson on how to get strong, what do they know... why would I ask Poliquin how to get big arms, after all his and tons of his clients are only pushing over 18 inches... I would never ask DJ or CT about how to get my snatch or C&J up cause what do Dan John and Christian Thibeadeau know about putting up massive olympic totals?
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 06-26-2006 at 04:38 PM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

You didn't seem to like the place when I read your picture thread the other day where they all slagged off your haircut, your huge white underwear, your posture, your posing etc etc. You got all defensive then too.

I browse T-Nation once in a while but it sucks for the following reasons:

SOME crappy articles

Too many idiots where ALL they do is flame. That Professor-X guy is a prime example. He obviously knows his stuff but hardly ever helps.. even in the beginners forum he flames people.

They never appreciate different goals. Unless you want to be 250lbs then you're a starving jew in a concentration camp. If you deadlift less than 500 you're a complete pussy etc etc etc.

WAY too much pseudo-science which leads to people name-dropping to attempt to back up any crappy statement they make.

Bloody BIOTEST shoved down your throat, and no-one ever protests or tries to argue against it. Fair enough, all websites are a bit guilty of this (i.e. most people on this site will reccommend ALN etc) but most biotest products simply seem average quality and over-priced. That test booster crap has tribulus in it, which has been shown time and time again not to work!

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    No one argued that the credentials of a single writer ensured the website's validity, but CC did argue that the entire website isn't valid because he disagreed with 3 of the writers. I argued that the validity of the website is ensured by over a dozen giants in the fitness training and diet industry: Thibeadeau, Poliquin, Ian King, Dave Tate, Eric Cressey, John Barardi, Mike Robertson, and David Barr to name a few.

LOL yea... what am I thinking reading an article by Dave Tate and Mike Robertson on how to get strong, what do they know... why would I ask Poliquin how to get big arms, after all his and tons of his clients are only pushing over 18 inches... I would never ask DJ or CT about how to get my snatch or C&J up cause what do Dan John and Christian Thibeadeau know about putting up massive olympic totals?

Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    You didn't seem to like the place when I read your picture thread the other day where they all slagged off your haircut, your huge white underwear, your posture, your posing etc etc. You got all defensive then too.
    lol 3 small, weak, idiots who didn't know what they were talking about came in and started telling me I had bad posture and spine problems from some off center/tilted pics, and the 1 guy who mentioned the boxers and old haircut was JOKING. How do you sum that up as 'the whole place', especially when half a dozen of the big, strong SOB's(alot bigger, stronger, and more knowledgable in this area than you) came in and flamed the **** out of those guys, told me I was definately on the right track, then gave me further advice?

I browse T-Nation once in a while but it sucks for the following reasons:

SOME crappy articles

Too many idiots where ALL they do is flame. That Professor-X guy is a prime example. He obviously knows his stuff but hardly ever helps.. even in the beginners forum he flames people.

They never appreciate different goals. Unless you want to be 250lbs then you're a starving jew in a concentration camp. If you deadlift less than 500 you're a complete pussy etc etc etc.
    I agree with those completely, although there are certainly more tolerable members on the forums.

WAY too much pseudo-science which leads to people name-dropping to attempt to back up any crappy statement they make.
    What pseudo-science?
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 06-26-2006 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    The article doesn't even address the points as to why fructose, in excess, can be bad.
    No one suggested that you consume excessive amounts of fructose. Straw man all the way dude...

If you honestly agree that eating pasta mid-day is detrimental to one's bodybuilding goals than you've got a lot of reading to do.
    DAMN you just ruined my argument... I was about to pull the world out of darkness by explaining how pasta is the DEVIL!

Oh, and that link you posted recommend bananas and figs before bed to help "induce sleepyness".... wow. And you're telling me they don't post crap.
    Have you really never heard of milk and bananas (and I wouldn't doubt figs either) releasing horomones that help you sleep? Why the hell do you think people get up and drink a cup of warm milk in the middle of the night?

All in the link you provided. It's a general 5x5 program... with a compound as 5x5 then some iso movement with 5x5. Actually the program has more iso movements than compound. Look at the first couple links in the link you gave me.
    At first I looked through all of the programs on that list, because I was sure that all of those would be effective programs for anyone with the goal of muscular size/strength and/or fat loss. Sure enough, there is no 'general 5x5 program' with more isolation movements than compound there. Then it became obvious to me that you took a complex program(Optimized Volume Training), misunderstood it(or acted like it), and reported it here as a completely different routine. Since you couldn't take the time to read one of the many paragraphs that explains why there is a 5x5 compound movement supersetted with a 5x5 isolation movement, I'll post one here:

"For the second exercise of each superset, load progression isn't as important. Its role is mostly to increase training volume and total time under tension (TUT). If you can increase the load in this exercise, great! But as long as you're progressing on the heavy exercise you'll be fine. The important thing is to go as heavy as possible for the first exercise of a superset while using a light, controllable load for the second one."

According to T-nation you do. Again, I don't see how telling a new trainee that all he can eat carbwise is fruits/veggies, to do hang cleans off blocks, 5x5 DB Flies, and a whole other boatload of **** is "sound advice".
    Yep, that's all they advise at t-nation. There isn't a single shred of training info for beginners that doesn't involve those 3 things.

Sound advice for a beginner is to eat lots of protein, get in good fats, limit refined sugars, and eat in a caloric deficit/surplus depending on the goal. Sound advice for a beginner is to get form down perfectly, then try and increase weight used over time. Sound advice for a beginner is to utilize compound movements to build a strong foundation.
    LMAO!

Do you know how ironic it is that you are posting the basic framework of advice given to ALL beginners in those forums? Lots of protein, good fats, limit sugar, eat more to gain weight, eat less to lose weight, do heavy compound movements and increase weight when you can... for some reason that sounds familiar to me. Oh yea, that's what I've been reading on t-nation since the first time I visited the site.

Lol, this is coming from the guy who simply copies and pastes EXACT words and sentences from T-nation articles in ALL of his arguments.
    No son.

I copied and pasted these exact words and these exact words only in this thread: "fructose is an insulin-independent monosachharide."

What the hell is wrong with copying and pasting anyway if the info is dead on correct? Sorry I didn't put the above statement in my own words, maybe that would convince you

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    He doesn't say he only has one good workout, he says he has only one "great" workout:
    I think he makes a good point with the article but may miss the real deal himself. The real deal is that you should NOT try to push yourself to the limit each and every workout or even close to it. That is counterproductive and self-limiting.

Perhaps I should re-read the article as I quickly skimmed it.

I could be wrong but I think his mindset is still not quite where it needs to be.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    I could be wrong but I think his mindset is still not quite where it needs to be.
    Maybe, but with his numbers, I think he's doing pretty good!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    This is going no where, similar to every argument on this site, so I'll just state the facts:

Most of the stuff on T-nation is crap. It's crap because I say so and that's how I roll. If you don't believe me than argue it with Lyle, who knows 5x more about everything than anyone in this thread.

So you do Optimized Density Volumetric Waterbury Principle Training, eat all your carbs from bananas and potatoes, and I'll do what I'm doing. Let's see who makes better gains.

(Anthony: Click Meat_Head's original link to that sticky on T-Nation for beginners... click the first diet thread. It states "All carbs aside from PWO should come from fruits/veggies". Potatoes and beans are the only even slightly plausibly answer to such a ridiculous statement. Of course, if you've ever eaten Pasta or Bread mid-day I fully expect you to come in here and tell me that I'm right or that you've just been doing it wrong.)
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 06-26-2006 at 06:34 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Dan John's crappy, bad, and horrible workouts are most other peoples' awesome, great, and good workouts, respectively (unless you too are a state champion in multiple lifting and throwing events).

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

eat all your carbs from bananas and fruits
    Seriously, I know you're not a ******, so answer my ****ing question. Where is the article that recommends all your carbs should come from fruit?

??? Look up?

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Post the direct link, I don't want your interpretations.

I'm not going back and getting it. Go to Meat_Head's post on page 1, where he links to a sticky for beginners on T-Nation. It's the first diet thread on there. "7 Principles to something"

I'm not going back and getting it. Go to Meat_Head's post on page 1, where he links to a sticky for beginners on T-Nation. It's the first diet thread on there. "7 Principles to something"

Ahhh. Just what I thought. You're full of **** and twisted words to suit your argument.

Umm, no? I posted the EXACT quotation from the article when I addressed it originally.

You twisted the article to suit your agenda and completely ignored the big picture advice. Most carbs from veggies and fruits turns into 600g of carbs from fruit only? Hahah. Either you're a troll looking for an argument or you really need to pay more attention in school.

My advice? You should stop talking.

What are his numbers?

What is he using? Give me a little of the juicey-juice and I will show you some real numbers! :evillaugh

***For those sensitive readers the above is an inside joke between Anthony and I.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Dan John, from his site:
    * Snatch 314
    * Dead lift 628
    * Clean and Jerk 385
    * Clean 402
    * Discus 190' 6"
    * Hammer 201' 6"
    * Shot Put 51' 9" (No giggling!)
    * Multiple State Champion (California and Utah) Discus, Hammer, Shot, Highland Games and Olympic Lifting
    * National Masters Champ in Discus, Olympic Lifting and "Virtual" Highland Games
    * Coached Multiple State Discus Champions (Utah) without a discus ring or throwing field
    * Coach at John Powell Discus Camp since 1994
    * Current American Record Holder in Masters Weight Pentathlon

Lyle McDonald once cleaned and jerked the universe.

Twice.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Dammit. Now I don't know who to root for, Lyle or Chuck Norris. Of course the ability to win Connect Four in three moves is just awesomeness, so I'll stick with Chuck I suppose.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

You twisted the article to suit your agenda and completely ignored the big picture advice. Most carbs from veggies and fruits turns into 600g of carbs from fruit only? Hahah. Either you're a troll looking for an argument or you really need to pay more attention in school.

My advice? You should stop talking.
    Nah, I've been pretty specific the whole time with it being fruits and veggies. I may have said "fruits" only in one post, but anyone who's actually been following the thread would see I've said they stated fruits/veggies. If you'd take the you know what out of the you know where for one second and actually READ the posts before you reply we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Which is now over. Please someone lock this warzone.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 06-26-2006 at 10:01 PM.

"Warzone"??? LOL!

I say let the knitpicking melee continue!!!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Dan John is a ridiculous beast. 314lb snatch... I can't imagine having that much power.

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    Lyle McDonald once cleaned and jerked the universe.

Twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    Dammit. Now I don't know who to root for, Lyle or Chuck Norris. Of course the ability to win Connect Four in three moves is just awesomeness, so I'll stick with Chuck I suppose.
    LMAO

Last edited by Meat_Head; 06-26-2006 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Drippler
    I may have said "fruits" only in one post
    Oh really?

Wow, this is ridiculous. How the hell are fruits (fructose) a better carb source than pasta or brown rice?
    You're going to go grab a beginner, a hardgainer, who's throwing down 400g carbs a day to gain weight, and tell him 90% of it has to be from fruit? Hahaha...
    Great articles such as those stating you must have 600g of carbs from fruit
    if I got all my carb intake from fructose

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    lol 3 small, weak, idiots who didn't know what they were talking about came in and started telling me I had bad posture and spine problems from some off center/tilted pics, and the 1 guy who mentioned the boxers and old haircut was JOKING. How do you sum that up as 'the whole place', especially when half a dozen of the big, strong SOB's(alot bigger, stronger, and more knowledgable in this area than you) came in and flamed the **** out of those guys, told me I was definately on the right track, then gave me further advice?
    Defensive much?

Yours isn't the only thread where that stuff goes on.

What pseudo-science?
    All the time, everywhere. Someone makes some statement with no attempt to back it up and then if they're challenged, they name drop some T-Mag article.. it's lame.

A lot of it revolves around the biotest stuff too. Everyone loves that bright green test booster stuff, even though you an pubmed any of the active ingredients and show that they doesn't work, people still blab on and on about how great it is.