Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 101 to 112 of 112

Thread: I Love Me Some TNation (or, read up new folks).

  1. #101
    Senior Member smalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Well, I don't think anyone needs 800g of carbs a day. I would much rather see someone up their fat and protein before going crazy with carbs - hard gainer or not. If you do it out of convenience and cost savings, that's cool, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking it's mandatory or ideal.

    There are a few reasons for keeping carbs in a reasonable range with veggies. Performance, insulin sensitivity, etc.


    I think he was implying to stay away from juices, soda, etc. Milk is debatable ... everyone knows I was drinking 1 gallon of milk while bulking, but it certainly didn't help my endurance. Lately I've been avoiding all dairy products before a metcon workout and it definitely helps.


    I'm not really heated about the topic. But if someone purposely twists the contents of an article to suit their argument, I'm gonna call bull****.

    I agree with this overall, I think were just seeing this from different perspectives.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

    "If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

  2. #102
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Pavilion
    Posts
    6,775
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    In my opinion, nothing. Would you be better off eating all veggies and fruit for your carb sources? Yea!
    Why? What do you think is going to be different between having beans + potatoes vs. brown rice + pasta? (aside from the gas)

    Who eats 200 grams of brown rice?
    I've eaten 1 cup of raw brown rice before (cooked it obviously, but it was 1 raw cup). It ended up to be ~160g. You didn't even address the point though, which is that X grams of brown rice or X grams of pasta won't spike insulin.

    Fine, I won't ask you to argue it again. Any anecdotal evidence?
    There are tons of guys who gain weight and stay lean on big meals less frequently and tons of guys who gain weight and stay lean on small meals more frequently. Which just goes to show that it doesn't matter.


    That's pretty damn bland. Good job, if you really want to eat it. Wtf is GO LEAN cereal?
    It's a cereal, it's good stuff. And those are the actual foods, it's not like you would eat it without seasoning and such. I don't see how steak, pasta, salmon, rice, eggs and beans is "bland". It's only bland if you don't know how to cook.

    So what's so hard to believe about having big meals that don't spike insulin?

    In the past year I've gone from 175 to 209lbs. When I started lifting I was 140lbs.

    You started at 140lbs and are now 186ish according to the last time you listed it in your journal.
    I started at 128lbs, but I've gained height so it's not really comparable. I think I was about 145lbs at 5'9" and haven't grown much more than .5" since then. I was up to 203lbs at the peak of my bulk (a little too fat for my liking). I'm at 196lbs now and much leaner, probably about as lean as I was in the low 180s last bulk. Things have been going well


    So? Take a look at my journal... over the past year I was constantly playing a variety of sports.
    Umm, ok? How is this applicable? Your point was that eating these big ass meals forces you to feel bloated and ****ty, and thus sit on your ass the whole day. I was having these big ass meals and not sitting on my ass at all.

    Why would you have to keep it the same? Can it not be adapted to the individual's needs at any point? If he decides he needs more carbs and less fats, change the percentage!
    You're not understanding me. I'm not talking about caloric needs here. I'm talking about how much protein/fat your body would need just to hold on to the muscle you already have and get by day to day. This is much more a factor of how much LBM you have than percentages of calories. Why? Because calories can be changed within a day based on a new goal. LBM can't. I can bulk on 5500, I can bulk on 6500, or I can cut on 3000. If we used percentages the amount of protein and fats would change drastically, when the essential needs did not.

    I don't know a boatload about the topic so I hope I explained that ok.

    But NONE of them agreed with you.
    smalls, Paul Stagg, and Homeyield all agreed with what my main point here was. That a lot of the stuff on T-nation is crap, and that sometimes after skimming through the garbage you'll find a gem.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

    "im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

    "had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

    "most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

    "We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

    "Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

  3. #103
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Why? What do you think is going to be different between having beans + potatoes vs. brown rice + pasta? (aside from the gas)
    The argument wasn't beans+potatoes vs brown rice+pasta, it was fruits/veggies vs processed grains and rice. Fruits and veggies will have waaaay more antioxidants among the vitamins, minerals, photochemicals, and other nutrients. The also provide alot of fiber, and many (especially beans) are a good source of protein in addition to carbs. Why would you take brown rice and pasta as opposed to that?

    I've eaten 1 cup of raw brown rice before (cooked it obviously, but it was 1 raw cup). It ended up to be ~160g. You didn't even address the point though, which is that X grams of brown rice or X grams of pasta won't spike insulin.
    Actually I agreed with you that that's a good diet if you're looking to avoid insulin spikes, its not one I want to eat though: "That's pretty damn bland. Good job, if you really want to eat it."

    There are tons of guys who gain weight and stay lean on big meals less frequently and tons of guys who gain weight and stay lean on small meals more frequently. Which just goes to show that it doesn't matter.
    No it doesn't show anything except what worked for the individual guy. You have absolutely zero proof that big meals don't spike insulin more than small meals, and that fewer huge meals are better than many meals spread throughout the day.

    It's a cereal, it's good stuff. And those are the actual foods, it's not like you would eat it without seasoning and such. I don't see how steak, pasta, salmon, rice, eggs and beans is "bland". It's only bland if you don't know how to cook.
    I like steak, salmon, rice, eggs and beans. Would I want those + pasta to be the ONLY foods in my diet? Sick man. After a week I'd have trouble choking down huge servings of pasta, eggs, rice, and beans. No thanks... I'd rather stick to the kinds of meals I eat now, for example last night a glass of protein plus milk, a salmon fillet, broccoli, carrots, strawberries, mangos, and a little cottage cheese. It tasted MUCH better than any of your proposed meals, and it was alot healthier too.

    So what's so hard to believe about having big meals that don't spike insulin?
    There's a reason your body releases insulin... to digest and absorb large amounts of food and nurtients and to stabalize blood sugar levels. It makes sense, then, that smaller meals would have a much smaller effect on insulin levels.

    I started at 128lbs, but I've gained height so it's not really comparable. I think I was about 145lbs at 5'9" and haven't grown much more than .5" since then. I was up to 203lbs at the peak of my bulk (a little too fat for my liking). I'm at 196lbs now and much leaner, probably about as lean as I was in the low 180s last bulk. Things have been going well
    Do you have any update pics at 196lbs? Its a wierd thing crip, even if you're at a comparable bodyweight I still think you look small in your pics. For example in the last ones you indeed looked lean, but your forearms, neck, traps, pecs, and back just looked like they lacked mass, I would've guessed that you were about 180lbs in your avatar pic(I'm not saying that to be insulting, its the honest truth). I'll give you the fact that you know much more about diet than me, its not my forte and its nothing I've put a ton of my time into. I'll also give you the fact that you have much less bodyfat than me. But I don't understand how you would compare your pics to mine and think "yea, I've put on as much muscle mass as that dude, he's just fat". As far a muscular size goes, I think you still have a ways to go. Who knows, maybe its just cause you're an ectomorph.

    Umm, ok? How is this applicable? Your point was that eating these big ass meals forces you to feel bloated and ****ty, and thus sit on your ass the whole day. I was having these big ass meals and not sitting on my ass at all.
    I'd bet money that you would have more even levels of energy and nutrients in your body throughout the day if you ate many smaller meals.

    You're not understanding me. I'm not talking about caloric needs here. I'm talking about how much protein/fat your body would need just to hold on to the muscle you already have and get by day to day. This is much more a factor of how much LBM you have than percentages of calories. Why? Because calories can be changed within a day based on a new goal. LBM can't. I can bulk on 5500, I can bulk on 6500, or I can cut on 3000. If we used percentages the amount of protein and fats would change drastically, when the essential needs did not.
    I understand that, that wasn't the point I was trying to make. There is no set level of protein and fat needs throughout the day. If I go and do 10 heavy sets of squats, I think my body is going to need alot more protein and fat after that than if I sat on my ass. The body probably 'needs' more protein and fat than normal when you go to sleep, cause it will be fasting for 8 hours or so.

    smalls, Paul Stagg, and Homeyield all agreed with what my main point here was. That a lot of the stuff on T-nation is crap, and that sometimes after skimming through the garbage you'll find a gem.
    Your main point was that the website in its entirety(including ALL of the articles) was crap, and that 10% of the crap isn't ridiculously stupid. NO ONE agreed with you at all.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 06-28-2006 at 09:09 AM.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  4. #104
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Pavilion
    Posts
    6,775
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    The argument wasn't beans+potatoes vs brown rice+pasta, it was fruits/veggies vs processed grains and rice. Fruits and veggies will have waaaay more antioxidants among the vitamins, minerals, photochemicals, and other nutrients. The also provide alot of fiber, and many (especially beans) are a good source of protein in addition to carbs. Why would you take brown rice and pasta as opposed to that?
    If you're already getting adequate protein, fiber and micronutrient intake from other sources, does it still matter? I get over 50g of fiber daily and around 350g protein too, yet I still have pasta and rice daily. What do you think would change if I got those calories from beans and potatoes, since all my other nutrient needs have been addressed. Not that eating the amount of carbs I take in through potatoes, beans, and other veggies/fruits is even plausible.


    Actually I agreed with you that that's a good diet if you're looking to avoid insulin spikes, its not one I want to eat though: "That's pretty damn bland. Good job, if you really want to eat it."
    It was an example diet, you can obviously throw in other foods and sub out certain things. My point was you can have big meals that don't spike your insulin levels.

    No it doesn't show anything except what worked for the individual guy. You have absolutely zero proof that big meals don't spike insulin more than small meals, and that fewer huge meals are better than many meals spread throughout the day.
    When you're dealing with hundreds, even thousands of individuals... you don't consider it what worked for the "individual guy" anymore. You asked for anecdotal evidence, and that's the best anecdotal evidence you can possibly get.

    I like steak, salmon, rice, eggs and beans. Would I want those + pasta to be the ONLY foods in my diet? Sick man. After a week I'd have trouble choking down huge servings of pasta, eggs, rice, and beans. No thanks... I'd rather stick to the kinds of meals I eat now, for example last night a glass of protein plus milk, a salmon fillet, broccoli, carrots, strawberries, mangos, and a little cottage cheese. It tasted MUCH better than any of your proposed meals, and it was alot healthier too.
    Wow you're ridiculous. It was an example of ONE DAY OF THE DIET. So next day sub out the eggs and put in avocado and cottage cheese. There's so many combinations of various foods that in three 1333 cal meals will sum up similarly macronutriently and not spike insulin.

    There's a reason your body releases insulin... to digest and absorb large amounts of food and nurtients and to stabalize blood sugar levels. It makes sense, then, that smaller meals would have a much smaller effect on insulin levels.
    Of course. But with smaller meals you're also getting more frequent rises in insulin levels. So large meals release more insulin less frequently, while small meals release less insulin more frequently. By the end of the day you're still releasing the same amount of insulin.


    Do you have any update pics at 196lbs? Its a wierd thing crip, even if you're at a comparable bodyweight I still think you look small in your pics. For example in the last ones you indeed looked lean, but your forearms, neck, traps, pecs, and back just looked like they lacked mass, I would've guessed that you were about 180lbs in your avatar pic(I'm not saying that to be insulting, its the honest truth).
    That could be because I'm 178lbs in that avatar.

    I'll give you the fact that you know much more about diet than me, its not my forte and its nothing I've put a ton of my time into. I'll also give you the fact that you have much less bodyfat than me. But I don't understand how you would compare your pics to mine and think "yea, I've put on as much muscle mass as that dude, he's just fat". As far a muscular size goes, I think you still have a ways to go. Who knows, maybe its just cause you're an ectomorph.
    Statistically I have more mass than you. 196lbs and still abs to show for it. You're 10lbs heavier and definitely holding on to much more than 10lbs of fat comparitively.

    I'd bet money that you would have more even levels of energy and nutrients in your body throughout the day if you ate many smaller meals.
    Right now I'm having small meals frequently and I do feel a bit more energized throughout the day. Nothing substancially crazy though. My body got used to taking in large amounts of food like that back then so it really didn't have much of a negative effect on me.


    I understand that, that wasn't the point I was trying to make. There is no set level of protein and fat needs throughout the day. If I go and do 10 heavy sets of squats, I think my body is going to need alot more protein and fat after that than if I sat on my ass. The body probably 'needs' more protein and fat than normal when you go to sleep, cause it will be fasting for 8 hours or so.
    a) If this were true, percentages wouldn't address this at all.
    b) If you're throwing down 300g of protein, and you don't get in a lot after your workout or don't get in a lot before bed, you're still going to add muscle mass. However if you get in a good amount of protein after the workout and before bed, but tally maybe 90g by the end of the day, good luck with that.

    Total protein consumption is more important than when you consume it (although optimally both are important), and total protein needs is far more a factor of how much LBM you're holding onto that a percentage of the calories you just happen to be consuming right now.

    Your main point was that the website in its entirety(including ALL of the articles) was crap, and that 10% of the crap isn't ridiculously stupid. NO ONE agreed with you at all.
    My point was that 90% of the site is crap. As in, 1/10 things on that site is not crap, aka good. All the people I named clearly said, essentially, "There's a lot of crap there but a gem article once in a while".
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

    "im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

    "had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

    "most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

    "We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

    "Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

  5. #105
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    I think that you guys should arm wrestle, or kiss.

    But don't tell us either way. No one cares anymore.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  6. #106
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    No one is asking you to read or reply mix.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    If you're already getting adequate protein, fiber and micronutrient intake from other sources, does it still matter? I get over 50g of fiber daily and around 350g protein too, yet I still have pasta and rice daily. What do you think would change if I got those calories from beans and potatoes, since all my other nutrient needs have been addressed. Not that eating the amount of carbs I take in through potatoes, beans, and other veggies/fruits is even plausible.
    And as for antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, photochemicals...? If you aren't eating fruits and veggies in your diet, your diet isn't that great. They taste good too man, you don't have to choke down bowl after bowl of rice and pasta.

    It was an example diet, you can obviously throw in other foods and sub out certain things. My point was you can have big meals that don't spike your insulin levels.
    Word

    When you're dealing with hundreds, even thousands of individuals... you don't consider it what worked for the "individual guy" anymore. You asked for anecdotal evidence, and that's the best anecdotal evidence you can possibly get.
    Yet 90% of t-nation articles are crap? lmao whatever you say.

    Wow you're ridiculous. It was an example of ONE DAY OF THE DIET. So next day sub out the eggs and put in avocado and cottage cheese. There's so many combinations of various foods that in three 1333 cal meals will sum up similarly macronutriently and not spike insulin.
    Whoopdidoo?

    Of course. But with smaller meals you're also getting more frequent rises in insulin levels. So large meals release more insulin less frequently, while small meals release less insulin more frequently. By the end of the day you're still releasing the same amount of insulin.
    Yea.. what I'm saying is that there is no proof for that. Huge meals might cause more of a spike than multiple small meals even if the total amount of food is the same. That's what I mean by anecdotal evidence...

    That could be because I'm 178lbs in that avatar.
    Sweet I was right on. Any recent pics?

    Statistically I have more mass than you. 196lbs and still abs to show for it. You're 10lbs heavier and definitely holding on to much more than 10lbs of fat comparitively.
    I'll have to see your update pics to be sure, but I have a hard time believing that. As I said before, you don't look as big as your bodyweight in most of your pics(IMO).

    Right now I'm having small meals frequently and I do feel a bit more energized throughout the day. Nothing substancially crazy though. My body got used to taking in large amounts of food like that back then so it really didn't have much of a negative effect on me.
    It shouldn't be substantially crazy, I find it makes a big difference myself for one. Besides, your body will adapt to whatever kind of diet you put into it. The right thing to do is find the optimal rate.

    a) If this were true, percentages wouldn't address this at all.
    b) If you're throwing down 300g of protein, and you don't get in a lot after your workout or don't get in a lot before bed, you're still going to add muscle mass. However if you get in a good amount of protein after the workout and before bed, but tally maybe 90g by the end of the day, good luck with that.

    Total protein consumption is more important than when you consume it (although optimally both are important), and total protein needs is far more a factor of how much LBM you're holding onto that a percentage of the calories you just happen to be consuming right now.
    I actually agree, makes sense.

    My point was that 90% of the site is crap. As in, 1/10 things on that site is not crap, aka good. All the people I named clearly said, essentially, "There's a lot of crap there but a gem article once in a while".
    Your point sucks and is wrong!
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  7. #107
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Pavilion
    Posts
    6,775
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    And as for antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, photochemicals...? If you aren't eating fruits and veggies in your diet, your diet isn't that great. They taste good too man, you don't have to choke down bowl after bowl of rice and pasta.
    Whoa. When did I say not to eat fruits/veggies? Even my sample diet contained veggies. I consume lots of fruits and veggies throughout the day. My argument was that you don't have to have all your carb sources coming ONLY from fruits and veggies.

    Yet 90% of t-nation articles are crap? lmao whatever you say.
    They are over-generalizing and too definitive.

    Whoopdidoo?
    Does this mean that I'm right?

    Yea.. what I'm saying is that there is no proof for that. Huge meals might cause more of a spike than multiple small meals even if the total amount of food is the same. That's what I mean by anecdotal evidence...
    And multiple small meals might cause more of a spike than less huge meals... the anecdotal evidence is that there are people who don't get super tired and don't lots of fat when gaining weight on both ends of the spectrum. That evidence goes to show that it doesn't matter, hence my point.

    Sweet I was right on. Any recent pics?
    Nah, at the end of the bulk.

    I'll have to see your update pics to be sure, but I have a hard time believing that. As I said before, you don't look as big as your bodyweight in most of your pics(IMO).
    Definitely not. My bone structure is quite large. Add that to the fact that I'm very lanky and I look a good 10lbs lighter than what I weigh. It is starting to even out a little bit more now, the main problem is that my arms really suck. They're just over 15" now, lol. Adding a couple inches to the arms wouldn't make my weight fly up that much but would make me appear much bigger.

    It shouldn't be substantially crazy, I find it makes a big difference myself for one. Besides, your body will adapt to whatever kind of diet you put into it. The right thing to do is find the optimal rate.
    So why are you making definitives then, that smaller meals more frequently are always better?

    Your point sucks and is wrong!
    You were arguing that the people I named didn't agree with me, when they did.




    I am happy though that slowly with each post you're accepting one or two of my arguments. I hope by page 8 or 9 the only thing you still disagree with is how good/bad t-nation is.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 06-28-2006 at 05:55 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

    "im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

    "had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

    "most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

    "We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

    "Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

  8. #108
    Senior Member Meat_Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Whoa. When did I say not to eat fruits/veggies? Even my sample diet contained veggies. I consume lots of fruits and veggies throughout the day. My argument was that you don't have to have all your carb sources coming ONLY from fruits and veggies.
    In that case I agree with you.

    They are over-generalizing and too definitive.
    Some are. I still think you take alot of the great articles(that you probably haven't read) for granted.

    Does this mean that I'm right?
    Sure

    And multiple small meals might cause more of a spike than less huge meals... the anecdotal evidence is that there are people who don't get super tired and don't lots of fat when gaining weight on both ends of the spectrum. That evidence goes to show that it doesn't matter, hence my point.
    Well since there's no real proof either way, I'll keep eating alot of meals. Seems to be working just fine

    Defnitely not. My bone structure is quite large. Add that to the fact that I'm very lanky and I look a good 10lbs lighter than what I weigh. It is starting to even out a little bit more now, the main problem is that my arms really suck. They're just over 15" now, lol. Adding a couple inches to the arms wouldn't make my weight fly up that much but would make me appear much bigger.
    That makes sense... well you know what you gotta do then to fill out that frame.

    So why are you making definitives then, that smaller meals more frequently are always better?
    They seem to offer unique benefits that a few large meals a day don't, but I guess that's just my take on it.

    You were arguing that the people I named didn't agree with me, when they did.
    Well you didn't say there is always an occasional gem among the bad articles, you basically said there is always a less crappy article in the midst of a ton of ridiculously stupid ones.

    I am happy though that slowly with each post you're accepting one or two of my arguments. I hope by page 8 or 9 the only thing you still disagree with is how good/bad t-nation is.
    Hey I look at long, stupid arguments like this as a learning oppurtunity... I've learned alot here still loves me some t-mag tho
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

  9. #109
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Pavilion
    Posts
    6,775
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Well since there's no real proof either way, I'll keep eating alot of meals. Seems to be working just fine
    I'm pretty sure there is proof that insulin response will even out by the end of it, but I can't find the studies off hand. I'm 99% sure I've read one though over from Lyle's forum.


    They seem to offer unique benefits that a few large meals a day don't, but I guess that's just my take on it.
    There are benefits to larger meals too. Time restraints being the biggest. In terms of gains in muscle mass you're not looking at any real differences.

    Well you didn't say there is always an occasional gem among the bad articles, you basically said there is always a less crappy article in the midst of a ton of ridiculously stupid ones.
    No, all I said was 90% of the site is crap. They definitely have some good articles.

    Hey I look at long, stupid arguments like this as a learning oppurtunity... I've learned alot here still loves me some t-mag tho
    Check out the stuff at Mind and Muscle, much better than t-mag.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 06-28-2006 at 11:41 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

    "im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

    "had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

    "most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

    "We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

    "Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

  10. #110
    HomeYield WillKuenzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    7,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Check out the stuff at Mind and Muscle, much better than t-mag.
    Don't limit yourself. Like we said, there are some good things at T-Mag. Read everything. I've read alot of crap in my days. Even that's worth it because I can see the differences and explain why its crap. Reading and regurgitating doesn't mean ****, reading comprehension and retention is the key.

    Read both M&M and T-Mag. Read the articles on EliteFTS, read the articles here. Go to a damn library and read some books old school style. Text books are great resources too.

    Don't limit yourself to reading just what you think is good. That's how you become close-minded.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

  11. #111
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Pavilion
    Posts
    6,775
    I do read the stuff at t-mag, all the ALN newsletters, all the WBB newsletters, Lyles Newsletters, and the stuff at Mind and Muscle. This is why I made the comparison that t-mag was crap, because I've read it and others and can thus compare them.

    You're right though, I probably have a bit of a close-mindedness towards t-mag due to the influx of bad articles on there. As in, I'll always be looking for the smallest flaws even in the good articles just to say "wow what a dumb article".

    The 7 Habits of a Good Nutritional Program is very stupid though .

    (Meathead, avatar pic is @ 196. I'm waiting to post the full pics at the end of my bulk, but you can see I'm still pretty lean and bigger)
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

    "im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

    "had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

    "most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

    "We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

    "Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

  12. #112
    Proud Father Maki Riddington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    5,323
    Crip you look good in your avatar.
    Maki Fit Blog

    At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

    "Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

    "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

    "Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •