The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

I Love Me Some TNation (or, read up new folks).

I liked this article a lot, and it made me think of a few threads here where someone worries about a terrible workout, taking some time off, always training at max, being weaker one week than the last... whatever. It's instructive for new people and more experienced people alike.

The Rule of Five by Dan John.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gotta love DJ
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Wow that was a really inspiring article.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Just what I needed. Thanks for the link.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    Just what I needed. Thanks for the link.
    No prob, because it was just what I needed too.

Occupational Hypnomania
    Sometimes I feel alittle tired or unmotivated but usually stretching for a while and getting myself pumped up fixes it. You should maybe try it, might help if you feel sluggish.
    Last edited by Turnip; 06-23-2006 at 08:46 PM.

man what a great article. dj always comes through with some quality literature.

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

I've read a lot of Dan John and I'd say that was one of his best!
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Whenever I have a 'bad' workout I look at what I thought was bad and remember how it was when I started. So I failed to get 5 on 190 bench? When I started I could barely get 7 with 90. I will never be at 90 again without serious injury. Big picture.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

That article made me feel better. It's so depressing when you fail to hit your goals, but I guess everyone has off days.

Iron4Life
    That was a great read..
    lets see.. I'm still looking for a BW squats x age.. I think I can get that with a great WO every 5.. x 1 yr = that's about 14-15 great leg WOs a year... 225 x 42 July 2007.. yep, I think I can.. I think I can.. I know I can..

Banned
    Great read don't get me wrong but it almost gives you an excuse for having a bad workout I don't like that.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    WOW VERY INSPIRING.

No. Just no.

How can anyone like the crap that comes off that site? 90% of their articles are ridiculously stupid. Not to mention that there main boy, Shugart, doesn't even look like he's lifted a weight in his life.

And how about the Biotest whores? OMG DIS PRODUCT IZ DA BEST THING EVAR!!!! These guys promote their products like it's the best thing since testosterone, meanwhile it's just a regular whey protein or a regular BCAA.

There no better than MuscleTech and Flex. And by that I mean there articles and stupid and there products are overhyped and overpriced.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 06-24-2006 at 01:44 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    No. Just no.

How can anyone like the crap that comes off that site? 90% of their articles are ridiculously stupid. Not to mention that there main boy, Shugart, doesn't even look like he's lifted a weight in his life.
    BANNED!!!

All kidding aside, I really enjoy their training articles; they've had more than a few interesting ones, and comparing them to mainstream muscle mags is a little over the top. That being said, their advertisting for supplements is cheesy, but hey -- you gotta pay the bills.

ahaha

Cripp's back
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Don't get me wrong, they have SOME good stuff. And DJ knows his ****. But wow some of the crap Waterbury(sp?) and Shugart put up is pathetic at best.

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Don't get me wrong, they have SOME good stuff. And DJ knows his ****. But wow some of the crap Waterbury(sp?) and Shugart put up is pathetic at best.

I've gotta agree. I used to read their articles quite a bit, but as good as some of their stuff can be, it can be just as bad or worse. And the advertising hype is always gey.

Better than most though.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

So you don't like Shugart, and probably read a Waterbury article you didn't like, therefore the whole site is stupid? I mean I agree that the supplement ads get annoying, but Christ...

This is a load of bull****. I bet you haven't even looked at 1/8 of the articles on that site, yet you act qualified to rag on them. You don't know a thing about the writers, yet you're quick to act like they're clueless. Someone who successfully trains thousands of people with various goals is not clueless.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

There's probably about 30 great articles listed in that link, and there's a ton more in the archives.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    So you don't like Shugart, and probably read a Waterbury article you didn't like, therefore the whole site is stupid? I mean I agree that the supplement ads get annoying, but Christ...

This is a load of bull****. I bet you haven't even looked at 1/8 of the articles on that site, yet you act qualified to rag on them. You don't know a thing about the writers, yet you're quick to act like they're clueless. Someone who successfully trains thousands of people with various goals is not clueless.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

There's probably about 30 great articles listed in that link, and there's a ton more in the archives.
    Wow, lets look at the first article in that link you posted: 7 Habits to a highly w/e nutritonal program

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.
    How many times has it been proven that it doesn't matter if you have 3 meals or 6 meals....

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.
    Why would my meal be bad it it was, say, chicken breast and beans? It's not like you only get micronutrients from fruits or veggies.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.
    Wow, this is ridiculous. How the hell are fruits (fructose) a better carb source than pasta or brown rice?

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).
    35% of fat in my diet would be 233g of fat. Why would I need that much? Percentages are a stupid way of looking at macronutrient needs.
    Secondly, that would mean I would need 78g of polyunsaturated fats. That's just so plausible right?

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).
    So I guess Chase had it all wrong when he got dialed in great using all liquid...

For each good article you find on that site I'll find you one that's equally bad or worse.

Wow, lets look at the first article in that link you posted: 7 Habits to a highly w/e nutritonal program
    For each good article you find on that site I'll find you one that's equally bad or worse.
    Wow, that's a pretty hyper overreaction to a fairly reasonable article that makes a lot of sense, is almost entirely reasonable, and is applicable to a majority of people trying to get healthy.

(In another big shock, the article isn't oriented towards a hardcore bodybuilder in contest preparation! OMG.)

What's really amusing is how some people, nudge, nudge, get so worked up about something that's free, and, for the most part, useful and enjoyable.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

http://www.f-heit.com/index.jsp?jumpTo=518545

Need I say more?

And as for making a comparison between T-nation and fitness mags... well you're right, that wouldn't be fair. FLEX clearly has cooler pictures.

To be honest I think someone following the average routine from a fitness mag would deem similar results to someone following the average routine douchebags like Shugart post. A lot of the routines I see in FLEX suck but they stick with the basics, unlike Shugart who has beginners doing insane amounts of volume with dumb exercises (one of his beginner routines has power shrugs, clean off blocks, and dumbell push jerks.... yeeeaaa......)
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 06-24-2006 at 08:56 PM.

I read that article and thought it was great. It reminds you that you can't kill yourself over one workout and you have to look at the bigger picture.
    Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. -Joushua Marine

If he is training and only having 1 good workout out of 5 he is not training properly. He is training too intensely and thus overworking himself.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    If he is training and only having 1 good workout out of 5 he is not training properly. He is training too intensely and thus overworking himself.

Chris
    He doesn't say he only has one good workout, he says he has only one "great" workout:
    In a group of five workouts, I tend to have one great workout: the kind of workout that makes me think that in just a few weeks I could be an Olympic champion and Mr. Olympia.

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    He doesn't say he only has one good workout, he says he has only one "great" workout:
    I think he makes a good point with the article but may miss the real deal himself. The real deal is that you should NOT try to push yourself to the limit each and every workout or even close to it. That is counterproductive and self-limiting.

Perhaps I should re-read the article as I quickly skimmed it.

I could be wrong but I think his mindset is still not quite where it needs to be.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!