The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

One Winged Angel MagnaSephiroth's Avatar

Switching from a Fat Burning Diet to a Muscle Building Diet

I'm new here, so hello.

I am a 17 year old male and I currently weight a bit below 165 pounds closer to 164, and I am 5'11". My gut measurment is about 34 inches(across belly button) According to a scale, not with complete accuracy, i am 163.3 with about 14.5-15% bodyfat. About 4-5 months ago I weighed 203 pounds. I started eatting better, and ran for at least 30 minuts a day.

For about 1.5-2 months I have been running on a treadmil at 6mph until I burn 500 calories. Usually takes about 40 minuts, and I end up running for a little under 4 miles. Every other day I lift weights for about 10-15 minuts. I eat around 1000-1200 calories a day, eating once every 3 hours, and I drink plenty of water. I do NOT eat junk such as fast food or candy bars.
    Thats basically 1200 - 500 calories a day. With over 30 minuts in cardio workout daily.
    I also take 2 green tea fat burning pills and 1 multi-vitamin pill a day.

Now I want to gain muscle mass, basically get huge arms, the works. However, I am very scared to leave my diet because if it doesnt work, I will end up putting on a lot of fat, and after hearing so many ways to do it, I am a bit cautious. I realize its impossible to gain muscle unless I eat more, but I'm afraid those calories will once again build up in my gut so I dont have the slender wait and tummy I want. Main thing, I dont want to gain muscle in my arms, but have my tummy bloat out and be full and round. RIght now its normal I would guess, but I want it thinner.

So, some questions that arise:
    How much more calories should I eat?
    Should I continue to run and do cardio daily like I have been for the past 3 months?
    Should I weight train more?
    Will the fat I gain with the muscle go straight to my belly first?
    Whats the good site or book I can get to give me more information?

Thanks for anyone that can help.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm not too good on this stuff as everyone else.. But go to the Bodybuilding/Weightlifting section and ask/search for a good routine that you like. I recommend WBB1 that's what I started on a little over a year and a half ago. People here will help you set up your diet, and keep up your stats at www.fitday.com In the GPP/Sports Specific section there's quite a lot of talk on High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and cardio. Basically I'm not help at all so use the search function Lmao. Anyways, welcome to the forum!

--Jordon

Quote Originally Posted by jordonwuff
    I'm not too good on this stuff as everyone else.. But go to the Bodybuilding/Weightlifting section and ask/search for a good routine that you like. I recommend WBB1 that's what I started on a little over a year and a half ago. People here will help you set up your diet, and keep up your stats at www.fitday.com In the GPP/Sports Specific section there's quite a lot of talk on High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and cardio. Basically I'm not help at all so use the search function Lmao. Anyways, welcome to the forum!

--Jordon
    Well my problem is not just finding a routine, but easing into it, cause I don't know if the sudden change in diet will cause my body to freak out and store the extra calories as fat. That is why I am kind of increasing my calorie count (recently by about 200) but nothing more then that until I know exactly what I'm doing.

first of all you are eating WAY too little calories..1200 a day? That's crazy and I'm about the same size as you. You've done great losing weight, but if you really want to put on muscle with minimal (yeah minimal, you're going to gain some) fat gain, then you need to know precisely how many calories you are eating a day. www.fitday.com

some diet stuff
    >>you need to be getting 1.5g protein per LBM (lean body mass) a day for you (assuming 165 @14.5% bf) would be around 212g protein a day
    >>you also want to be getting .5g fat a day (monounsaturated, polyunsatruated, and some saturated), which would be about 70g fat per day

that right there is about 1482 calories and it's not even including carbohydrates yet

accoring to Lyle McDonald you only need 50g of carbs a day for basic functions (more obviously if you're working out). I would probably aim at first to have carbs in the range of 150-200g eventually and try to keep the majority of those in: (a)breakfast, (b)pre-workout meal, (c)post-workout meal

1) MORE than you're eating now! At least 1482 + carbs (2082 - 2282) and then add more as you become comfortable with it and when you stop gaining weight.
    2) When you're trying to gain muscle you don't typiecally do cardio, however, some people have to do cardio. If you feel the need then do 1-2 sessions of HIIT a week (check out GPP forum)
    3) 3-4 sessions of weight training a week is fine, your body needs to rest and grow. I'd reccommend one of the WBB or Built's Baby Got Back
    4) There is a chance it will, but if you are accurate with your diet you can minimze how much you gain.
    5) The articles and forums on this site will help you reach your goals, if you ask the right questions and actually listen to what people say.

As far as "easing into your diet"...add about 200 calories a week or so until you're above 2000. You don't want to just go from 1000 cals a day to 2000 all of a sudden.

I'm sure there is more wonderful advice to come, until then read some of the diet/workout threads, articles, and such and take a look around.
    Last edited by KingWilder; 06-24-2006 at 07:24 AM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    MagnaSephiroth:

Fist let me congradulate you on what you have achieved. I'm impressed with your vigour and dedication.

Don't worry about gaining a ton of fat. If you coun't calories accurately it won't happen. That said something tells me you're eating more than you think. Do you measure and weigh things accurately?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnaSephiroth
    How much more calories should I eat?
    The general rule is that anytime you increase or decrease you should do it incrementally. That means increase in increments of 200-300 calories each week. The really nice thing about this is you can never gain rapid fat this way. You have time to see it coming. You will likely need two increments of 250 to stop losing weight. Then another increment would get you just into bulking range. Then if you are gaining mostly lean tissue then perhaps another increment is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnaSephiroth
    Should I continue to run and do cardio daily like I have been for the past 3 months?
    Ideally IMO you want at least two days off. Then if you are doing weights 3-4 days that doesn't leave many days for cardio only. That doesn't mean you can't include it though. You could hit the weights and then to some cardio, perhaps saving one day/week for your 40 minute run.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

jordonwuff: You're post wasn't bad at all bro.
    Last edited by Holto; 06-24-2006 at 12:10 PM.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Thank you so much guys. Now the biggest question that I have a hard time understanding is, the running.

Should I run the 500 calorie run every other day and rest on sunday? Or is it still a good idea to run everyday burning 300 calories a day (this all ends up being cardio)

So basicaly that would put my schedule as Run one day, lift the next, then no work at all on sunday. And if this is the case, when should I start? I ran yesterday btw.

How many days do you plan on lifting?

Start there. Overall if you plan on building muscle I would say that running every other day is couter productive. It's catabolic.

Quote Originally Posted by Holto

Start there. Overall if you plan on building muscle I would say that running every other day is couter productive. It's catabolic.
    So if running everyother day is bad, then should I run every day or once every 3 days or what?

Well here is my eats for today. Maybe not the best, but its a start

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...MagnaSephiroth

Quote Originally Posted by Holto
    ???

Every other day, the days inbetween light lifting and walking, and no work on sundays.

I'll just tell you what I would say if I was training you.

Take an absolute minnimum of two days off per week. If you want to grow you need time to recover.

That leaves 5 days for training.

Monday: Legs
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Chest, Triceps, Shoulders
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Run
    Saturday: Back and Biceps
    Sunday: Rest

I have adapted the routine provided by WBB, the first one, so its work, rest, work, rest, work, rest, rest.