The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

i overtrained, it worked, but i hit a wall

I've been lifting for about 5 months now. I stopped about 3 1/2 months in because i needed to focus on school more, and now I'm starting up again. My routine is Chest/tri, then Back, Bi, then Shoulders/legs. I do them on three consecutive days and then I take a day or two of rest, and start up again. I made gains the first 3 months or so. I gained around 12 pounds. (from 140 to 152). My bench went up from barely repping 95 to repping 140. Now that I've started up again I've reached what I was able to do before, but I haven't been making any gains. I've been eating like a monster. I weigh about 155 now because I've been making a real effort to eat a lot. My body fat percentage is around 12%. What should I do? I like my routine. I think a lot of you would say I'm overtraining, but it worked for 3 months. I made consistent gains. The number of reps and sets I do correspond with the wbb1 routine. What do you guys think?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Occupational Hypnomania
    Why 3 consecutive days?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by dinkman23
    I've been lifting for about 5 months now. I stopped about 3 1/2 months in because i needed to focus on school more, and now I'm starting up again. My routine is Chest/tri, then Back, Bi, then Shoulders/legs. I do them on three consecutive days and then I take a day or two of rest, and start up again. I made gains the first 3 months or so. I gained around 12 pounds. (from 140 to 152). My bench went up from barely repping 95 to repping 140. Now that I've started up again I've reached what I was able to do before, but I haven't been making any gains. I've been eating like a monster. I weigh about 155 now because I've been making a real effort to eat a lot. My body fat percentage is around 12%. What should I do? I like my routine. I think a lot of you would say I'm overtraining, but it worked for 3 months. I made consistent gains. The number of reps and sets I do correspond with the wbb1 routine. What do you guys think?
    Try placing a day of rest between each workout and see what happens. For example M,W, and F could be workout days and T, Th, Sat, and Sunday could be rest days.

Iron4Life
    dinkman.. I don't think anyone is going to say you are overtraining, because it takes more information that what you gave to understand that. There are a lot of folks that train successfully with a program such as yours.

However, your quick gains can most likely be attributed to Newbie gains. We all have had them... they usually come quickly in the 1st 3, 6, 12 months after we start our iron life. And we all love them... and we all wish they would continue past that first 3, 6, 12 months. But for most people, our progression after that initial newbie period is much slower.

We also have to learn what is best for our own bodies. Everyone is different. Some require more rest then others. Some require heavier weights. Some require more effort. Some require a perfect diet. Some require a program change frequently.

This is your time to learn what you need to do. If I was you, you need to determine what is more important to you... keeping the same program b/c you like it? Or continuning to progress with your strength gains. The first solution is easy.. just keep the same program.

But if you want to continue to make gains... you need to start experimenting. Changing the program... changing the diet.. changing your rest period... etc.

Recommendation:
    Either try what Extreme is saying above...
    or one of the excellent programs provided on WBB:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/category.php?cat=4
    or Baby got Back:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255

Wannabebig Member
    yea, i think i'll start to change the rest period. As much as I like working out 3 consecutive gains, maybe that's what's holding me back from being as intense as I can be in each individual workout. Does anyone else have other suggestions?