Thread: Props to WBB - 3PPS plus some-BP PR

Iron4Life

Props to WBB - 3PPS plus some-BP PR

I just wanted to give props to WBB... I know that sounds weird & sappy.. but coming from someone who thought they knew-it-all and thought my genetics would hinder my progression much further.. I have to thank a number of folks on WBB for their knowledge, encouragement and inspiration.

Why?
    I just broke my PR in the BP.. not just 3PPS (315), but actually 325.
    I never thought I would ever get over 300 lbs.. why? b/c I wasn't able to do it in my 20's after some serious training and b/c of genetics - I was graced with Pectus excavatum (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=76535)

But I joined WBB about 8 months ago.. after just reading for a couple of months... and I read all the threads I could.. a lot I knew, but there was a lot of real life examples that you can't find in books or figure out for yourself. And then you read the motivational stuff.. and it gets you inspired. And then you read how everyone gets encouragement... the weak, the strong, the small, the big, the lean, the fat, the boys, the girls... and it's like having 1000 people on your side. What more can get an iron player's game going - knowledge, inspiration and encouragement!!! Jackpot.

So I decided that my 300 lb BP plateau was breakable.
    I finally did that.. some time back in Dec w/ a 305.. but for some reason I wasn't happy.. and then I hit a 310 in Feb.. but I still wasn't happy...For some reason, I now had to hit 3PPS
    So then I couldn't break that 310 plateau in March or April - I failed 5 different time trying to get 3PPS .. so I gave up going for maxes in BP and changed my routine.

Then came today.. I wasn't going to the gym for maxes.. I've been enjoying my new variant program.. doing a lot of singles.. 20 lb increments up from 225 to 305.. But today, I felt different at 305.. I felt something warm. So I put 3PPS.. and went looking for a spotter - which is hard to find in my gym. But along came Mike - he kinda looks like a 40 yr, 100 lb heavier Kevin Starke. I asked him for a spot, he said yes. I told him I didn't need a lift off and to only grab the bar if it was crashing down on my throat. I also told him I had never done this and that it was a PR. He said "You've got it!". I grab the bar, lifted it off the supports, lowered it to my chest, slight pause and exploded back up. It was easy... and I almost started crying. I haven't been that happy since my last kid was born. Totally RAW, no drugs, 41 yrs old, no lift-off, no BP form - no arch... and somehow I got 3PPS.

And Mike said congrats.. that's a lot of weight. So I asked him for one more spot... in a few minutes.. and of coarse, if he ever needed one, I would be there for him.

3 minutes later, I went for 325. Although I didn't quite feel the same warmth, when Mike said that "it should get this with no problem", the adrenaline kicked in... and although I didn't quite explode this time up, I strained and pushed (almost cra_ing my shorts) and I got it up. And I knew I had left my last on the bench... and it felt good. I was happy!

Sorry for the long story.. maybe someone else can use it as inspiration. Or Toilet paper if you print it out..

But I have to say thanks to a number of people.. and I know that I will forget some and that I am sorry about that.. but here goes:

KevinStarke - an inspiration & dedication.. even when all seems lost - and thanks for promoting GMs and Close Grips BPs - I have made my biggest improvements with those
    Anthony - although I thought I knew Crossfit/GPP, I now realize from your threads how important it really is in everything - especially strength. thanks for the videos too
    Built - well, she is Built - your knowledge is amazing.. and your efforts tireless
    HomeYield - your experience & knowledge is invaluable
    GetFit - never a bad word comes from you
    Sensei - you seem to find those bits of info that fill in the gaps.. I think I have simliar goals as yours, so your efforts and videos are respected.
    Drew - Keep improving, offering your new experiences and keeping up with Kevin
    Chris & Daniel - thanks for ALN.. I love Nitrean.. 4-8 scoops a day.
    To the rest of the WBB community.. BIG THANKS. There are so many that provide so much.. I wish I could name you all. THANKS.

PS.. I know I have a ways to go on my other lifts.. but my goals are slightly different then most.. Squatting for max is not in the cards right now, but my endurance is building. 405 x 5 is coming this yr.

And my DLs are weak.. especially since it is now so close to my BP.. but my back is strong.. I just can't figure out what is wrong with my grip.. anymore advice on that is greatly appreciated. (see this thread: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77727 )

PPS.. I think I should start posting my journal. Maybe this old man can help another old man.

Sorry for being sappy.. but I had to get the props out.

Congratulations! I'd love to see a log.

On to 4 pps...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Well done bearwolf. Now onto 405!

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Congrats! so awesome
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Big props! 3 wheels, and change for that matter, is an impressive feat! I'd like to hit that raw by march, but just getting onto the training wheels is a struggle right now.

Iron4Life
    Thanks Sensei.. Drew.. and GetFit.. props again.

Risk.. thanks man.. keep it up.. you too have an inspirational story.. watching your progress helps others.. and I'm sure with your determination, you will hit 3PPS by next March. Good Luck & don't give up..

Congrats, man. 3pps is a milestone!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

That kicks ass! Not many will ever have 3 wheels on bench raw, so be proud!!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Iron4Life
    Thanks Beast.. now if I could get as lean & mean as you..

Thanks Anthony... as stated above, props to you.. your journal and work effort are impressive.. your workload is a goal of mine, but might be too much for an old man like me.. :-)