Thread: How the hell do you keep your workout under an hour?

How the hell do you keep your workout under an hour?

How are you supposed to keep your workouts shorter than an hour? I find it mathmatically impossible to do.

1. I do my warm up sets for both my CNS and my muscles, they take a freaking 5 minutes each.
    2. I have to wait 3 minutes between every set for my freaking ATP to replenish.
    3. I try and do abs at least twice a week.
    4. I do all exercises slow, which takes more time.

I do a four day split too, and I still cant keep my workouts under an hour, im really getting pissed off.

Does everyone on this board really keep their workouts under an hour? If you do you must not warm up, or you must not wait 3 min between sets. Its not like I do a million sets either, I dont understand it?

Like my shoulder/dead day for example, it goes like this.

5 warm up sets for deads.
    2 working sets
    5 warm up sets for millitary press
    3 working sets
    2 sets of lat raises
    3 warm up sets for shrugs
    3 working sets
    5 min of ab work

that there takes me 1hr 10 min to do. Am I doing too many warm up sets or something?

Well i dont do warm up sets, and i do keep my workout to around one hour

if i added warm up sets I could prolly still get it in around an hour, id really have to try it out and see how long it takes

thats with a 3 day split....id figure with a 4 day split you would have a ton of time

im sure some would disagree, but maybe cutting your warm up to 4 sets would help keep your workout time down

I'm lazy, so my workouts usually end up dragging out to an hour with stretching and the like, not to mention that some days I just like to add on a little extra when I'm having a "bad" workout, but my workouts can easily be done in 30 mins, 45 if I rest a lot b/w sets.

Day 1:
    Chest 6 sets
    Biceps 4 sets
    Shoulders 3-4 Sets

Day 2:
    Legs
    3-4 Squat Sets
    3 Hamstring Curl Sets
    2 Leg Extension Sets
    3 Calf Sets

Day 3:
    Back 8 Sets
    Triceps 4 Sets

Just curious why you need to warm up your traps to do shrugs. The deads will have warmed them up enough.

And also curious why you wait 3 minutes between all of your sets. I usually rest for about 30 - 50 seconds between sets. Depending on the exercise (Deads and Squats a bit longer).

I don't think you need to rest 3 minutes between your warm up sets.

Wannabebig Member
    everyone is correct, your wasting too much time on your warm up sets. 1 or 2 is more than enough considering your active throughout the day and not just sitting on the couch. also, resting 3 min between sets is ridiculous......even with squats, i only rest 2 min. and let me guess..........your abs lag behind?
    5 min is nowhere near enough time to get a decent ab workout in, you wouldnt spend only 5 min on biceps would you?
    if you can, just do your reg workout at the gym, and after a few hours or later that night just do abs at home.

Id agree with everyone. But hey dude dont stress out over an extra 10 mins, think of your cortisol levels. If you are that worried about going over an hour make sure you have a ready prepared protien shake to consume as soon as you finish lifting.

On heavy days i rest a lot and sometimes go over an hour, even an hour and a half if my inconsistent training partner shows his face (usually about once a month so i gotta spoon feed him. Somtimes i wonder why he bothers). So i just do the above.
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough

I thought you had to wait 3 minutes between sets for hypertrophy? Doesnt it take that long for ATP to replenish?

the amount 3 minutes depends on how u lift ie hi or low volume. btw this rest is to replenish a lot of ur ATP, but not for hypertrophy. hypertrophy comes from rest and diet.
    "Pumpin ain't easy"

Canadian
    I think there are benifits in taking both short and long rest periods. For maximum strength, I like to takr around 3 minuted or longer. I find with some exercises, curls and such, I don't need to take that long to rest between sets, as opposed to squats where I take 3-5 minutes between heavy sets.
    I think you can probably reduce the number of warmups you do or reduce the time between warmups. Personally, I'll do 3-5 warmup set on the first exercise of the day and then maybe one or two on each addition exercises. For alot of assistance exercises I don't even do any warmups.
    "Discipline is never an end itself, only a means to an end." - Robert Fripp

as stated earlier, too many warm up sets.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

MACHINE
    5 warmup sets seems like a lot. I prefer to do 2 warmups before working sets, so if you follow that routine, you can eliminate 7 of the warmup sets from your workout. Multiply that by the time of the set + the rest in between and you should be able to finish your workout in much less time. However, if you feel you need 5 warmups, do that, but proper stretching plus a couple sets should be fine.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560