The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Hit a plateau with certain exercises

I started working out last May, the Friday before Memorial Day. I was coming off of a reconstructive surgery (left wrist) and 6 years of 100 hours work weeks. I weighed in at 289 pounds (which really sucked afte having been in great shape in my late teens and early 20's and lifting regularly at that time), after my workout and before drinking any water. I'm 6'3 and 28 years old.

Since then I have gotten down to 226 pounds and now run about 25-30 miles per week and lift 4-days per week for about 2 hours each lifting session. I have gotten some good definition in my chest, arms, back and legs and shrunk my waist by about 12 1/2 inches so far. However, I'm now battling some medial epicondilitis (sp?) in my right elbow, however I'm continuing to lift while doing therapy.

Here's my issue. In certain exercises for my chest; incline dumbell flys, dips, cable cross, pushups, I've gotten a great deal stronger. However, I've not gained any strength in my bench press since late June. When I started I could barely bench 155lbs on my last set. By late June or early July, I was doing 4-6 reps with 225lbs on my last set. However, I've stayed there since and cannot do a single set more today than when I started.

I've varied my routine about once every 10 weeks and am about to change it up again. Here is what I'm currently doing:

-Warm-up on stairmaster for 5 minutes
    -Stretch thorougly
    -3 Sets of 2 pushups
    -Finish Stretching
    -Bench Press
    -Warm up with 1 set 8 reps @135lbs
    -1 set 185lbsx8 reps
    -1 set 225lbsx5/6 reps
    -1 set 225lbsx5 reps
    -1 set 225lbsx3/4
    -1 set 185lbsxmax number
    -Incline Dumbell flys
    -4 sets 60lbsx6-8 reps
    -Upright Shoulder Row
    -4 sets 15lbsx8 (alternating arms)
    -Chicken Wings
    -4 sets 20lbsx12
    -Dips
    -4 sets 8-12 reps each
    -Cable Cross
    -2 supersets of 8 flys and then 8 crosses with 50lbs

I am really trying to go for endurance and strength, not necessarilly size, which is why I do a number of different exercises with an average of 4 sets each. I would like to increase my bench press, as I tend to see more definition in my upper chest and my shoulders from doing the bench press than I do from any other chest exercise (and I've tried them all).

So, how do I increase my bench press? Also, I often do not have a spotter to rely on in the gym, so I can't always go for that extra effort.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Hit a plateau with certain exercises

Originally posted by manhattan
    -Warm-up on stairmaster for 5 minutes
    -Stretch thorougly
    -3 Sets of 2 pushups
    -Finish Stretching
    -Bench Press
    -Warm up with 1 set 8 reps @135lbs
    -1 set 185lbsx8 reps
    -1 set 225lbsx5/6 reps
    -1 set 225lbsx5 reps
    -1 set 225lbsx3/4
    -1 set 185lbsxmax number
    -Incline Dumbell flys
    -4 sets 60lbsx6-8 reps
    -Upright Shoulder Row
    -4 sets 15lbsx8 (alternating arms)
    -Chicken Wings
    -4 sets 20lbsx12
    -Dips
    -4 sets 8-12 reps each
    -Cable Cross
    -2 supersets of 8 flys and then 8 crosses with 50lbs

I am really trying to go for endurance and strength, not necessarilly size / So, how do I increase my bench press?
    Well, you just answered your own question. Doing all those sets is going to build endurance alright-- but not much else.

First thing I'd recommend right off the bat is to increase your working weight on the first set. Instead of doing 225, do 230.

Second thing is to cut back on the friggin' assistance movements. You're doing 24 sets for your chest. That's way too much to see any kind of gains in strength. Endurance or not, you won't see any improvement by putting yourself through that much.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the reply, but what do you mean assistance movements? What would you recommend my bench program look like?

I don't think you're quite ready for the bench program I'd put you on.

The assistance movements are anything done for chest and/or pressing besides the bench press itself. And you're doing entirely too much with them.

You've got a solid routine, considering exercise selection and rep range. The problem with it is, you do too many sets. The way you've got the BP right now is fine. However, instead of doing 4 sets of everything else, drop it back to two. And maybe even cut out an exercise, like the cable crossovers.

You'll see a big difference.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock