The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Lurker First Post: Please Critique My Routine

Please Critique my Routine:

Hi, this is your standard critique my routine new poster post >_< I have been lurking around here for awhile, have been happy with my gains but recently I began to feel as if I am lacking something. Big thick pecs a large v-shape I donít know what I will try to get some pictures up eventually to be critiqued.

I used to feel as if my back was lagging behind my chest, but now I feel as if my arms overpower my chest and back completely. I am pretty short about 5'6, weighing in at 160 pounds bf estimate at 13%-15% (Abs visible when flexing, slight outline not flexed). I have been working out for quite some time now, haven't really missed much training but didn't really know anyone about nutrition/routines. Probably 2-3 years working out following advice from Arnolds book. Then 3-4 years ago I found out about this site and posted here for a bit gained quite a bit of knowledge. Have been working out the whole time but it wasn't until recently that I have been putting more effort into my diet.

Anyways when I first posted here years ago I was about 135 lbs, I maintained 145 for a year, bulked up to about 150-155 maintained that for a year. In April I had dirty bulked up to 170, since then I have been cutting and I have cut down to 160, which I now plan to maintain for the summer. When I first started training all I did was work my beach muscles hence why my deadlift / squat poundages are pretty poor.

I do about a 5 minute fast walk warm up on incline, before each session and will warm up with the first exercise. so on chest day that would be bench press back - barbell rows, legs - squats.

Day 1: Chest
    Barbell Bench Press: 245 for 3 x 6 - 8, but on third set usually get 4-6 reps
    Incline Dumbell Press: 90 lbs Dumbells for 2 x 6 - 8, on a good day 8+ reps easily
    Dips: BW + 50 for 2 x 6 - 8
    Machine Flyes or Cable Flyes: 40 lbs 2 x 8 - 12 (Do I really need these)

Day 2: Back
    Barbell Row: 205 for 3 x 6 - 8, Feel like my grips fails before my back
    T-Bar Rows: Gym just got a T-Bar, so I am still getting used to it, 100lbs for 2 x 6 - 8
    Shrugs: 80 lbs 2 x 8 - 10
    Chin-ups: BW + 45 for 2 x 6 - 8
    Deadlift: 225 for 3 x 5

Day 3: Rest

Day 4: Legs
    Squat: 225 for 3 x 5
    Leg Press: 450 for 2 x 6 - 8
    Leg Curls: 100 for 2 x 6 - 8
    Seated Calf Raises: 180 for 2 x 8 - 10

Day 5: Shoulders/Tri/Bi
    Arnold Press: 35 for 2 x 8 - 10
    Dumbell Press: 75 for 2 x 6 - 8
    Side Lateral Raise: 25/30 for 1 x 8 - 10
    Close Grip BP: 175 for 2 x 6 - 8
    Lying Tricep Extension: 95 for 2 x 6 - 8
    Hammer Curls: 40 for 2 x 8 - 10

Day 6: Rest

Repeat

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

well youve got a very good routine there.
    The way to get those big pecs my friend is to eat more Peanut butter, milk, and beef/fish/milk/beef/fish/milk/milk.

You wont get thick pecs without gaining more weight dude. Keep up your split tho man. Some strong lifting goin on there! Solid ass rows!

Maybe with ur benching if u wanna jus target ur chest, do partials. so you lower the weight down, push bak up, but only halfway, then lower and repeat. So its not targetting your tri's as much, but rele pounding on your pecs!
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 06-26-2006 at 01:04 PM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

I like your routine...pretty solid. I would maybe cut out one tricep exercise on day 5 and get some straps to help with your grip.

Hey I'm in BC too!

Anyways, I had success before with a smiliar routine, but I'm not sure on the way you organized the split, you have only a day rest between back and leg days, that's a lot of stress on the body and lower back. Try in this order: chest,back,shoulders/arms,legs. It's not perfect but may work better.

I like your exercise selection, you got most of the big, important lifts in there. It's good to see.

Things I notice, that you may consider tweaking, I wouldn't do two pressing movements for shoulders you only really need one. For back I don't know if you need both t-bar rows and barbell rows, I would up the intensity and just pick one, possibly alternate week to week, also maybe do the deadlifts first occasionaly. You say your losing your grip on the barbell rows, are you using straps, I bet if you throw in some straps, you'd be able to do 225+lbs no problem with good form and not worry about your grip giving out.

Good luck and keep it up, your doing good, and judging by some of the weights your pushing that's pretty damn good, and like I said before, I like the exercises you select, the big lifts always put on the most mass.
    Last edited by powerrack; 06-26-2006 at 01:16 PM.

what i dont see there is MILITARY PRESS!!!
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwinm
    what i dont see there is MILITARY PRESS!!!

good point...he could every other week swap those with the db presses

Wannabebig Member
    @powerrack: Yeah the rest between back and legs is definately not enough the way I have it set up now, was hoping I would eventually get used to it. I will switch the order and see how that feels, my lower back will probably thank you. Where in BC are you from? I live near South Surrey/WR

@bics56: Will my grip suffer from using straps? (In the long run) I currently use gloves for all lifts but take them off for deadlifts.

@Goodwinm: Do you suggest doing the partials instead of Barbell Bench Press everyone once in awhile, or to add that into my routine in place of something else.

I have been toying with the idea of adding standing military presses, but have been trying to rest my lower back - I need to build up my core strength. Will try some seated military presses and see how I like them.

I dont think straps will hurt your grip strength at all. It is somewhat of a small debatable topic. But I figure if you can get more clean reps with them then whatever muscle you are working on will benefit. I just picked some up for the same problem. I like your idea of seated presses for a littel while while you work on your core strength...it seems like you have a decent view of what needs to be done and how to do it...if you get stuck in a plateau then you can try some high intensity w/o's (drop sets, negatives, strips, forced reps, ect)

the routine is fine, keep hitting everything hard and eat well, your very strong on benchpress also dude.
    2000 or bust

I might steal that routine :P haha. looks good man.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 167
    Starting Weight: 147
    Bodyfat: 10% approx.
    Goal: 200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by wbb_incognito
    @powerrack: Yeah the rest between back and legs is definately not enough the way I have it set up now, was hoping I would eventually get used to it. I will switch the order and see how that feels, my lower back will probably thank you. Where in BC are you from? I live near South Surrey/WR
    I'm in east van.