The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Gaining muscle without lifting

The average teenager gains about 40 pounds through their teenage years naturally. So if I'm eating and gaining weight and lifting I'm good gaining muscle. However if I'm not able to lift for a couple days (say I was allready fully recoverd from the last workout), and I gain weight from eating a lot like normal will some of this weight still be muscle? Obviously some will be fat from the lack of lifting, but should some still be muscle put on naturally from my age? I would also get back to training ASAP.

The reason I ask this is because for the last week I wasn't able to hit the weight room on vacation (still did some light bodyweight exercises) but nothing compared to normal. My weight went from 149 to 151. Not sure if its all fat or some muscle too.
    6'0" 180
    Vertical 29" Running= 37" 40= 4.70
    Big 3: Squat= 320
    ........Bench= 275
    ........Deadlift= 350ish?
    OL: .....Clean= 270 150%
    ...........Snatch= 200 111%

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    It can take up to 10 days or more to FULLY RECOVER.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    My brother gained 30 lbs in 8 weeks eating 7k calories a day without going to the gym once. Probably 23-24lb of it was muscle, his bf change was barely noticeable. We have crazy metabolism's so 5-6k a day is minimum to bulk on. I think it would be much harder for someone with a slow metabolism, though probably still possible.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.

This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Did he weigh like nothing before?
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Where did you get this info from about teenagers naturally gaining 40-50 lbs. naturally ?

Cause if that's true for most people that means I don't have to do anything to reach my current long term goal...lifting is easy, diet is where all the work is at.

110 lbs. + 40-50 = 150-160 lbs. Assuming I stay the same height.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I was 128lbs when I started lifting in freshman year. I find it hard to believe I'd be 168 "naturally" in a year or two from now if I didn't lift and eat big. My bro, who's the same heigh as me but 19 years old, was about 145 before he started lifting a few months ago.

So yeah, I think that 40lb thing is a load of garbage.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 06-26-2006 at 10:35 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I don't quite remember where I read it (some sports article), but just look at the average adult male and compare him to the average boy who is at almost his full height but still is a lot smaller. Like my coach told everyone in a parent-team meeting:"no body lifted weights back in our generation. there were no real big school weight rooms. maybe just a bench. we just played." And just about all of our dads are bigger or stronger than us right now (especially in the grip department, and my dad can beat me arm wrestling), even though we're the same height. Granted this will change, but just for comparison. I know there are also some small dads, but I was just repeating what I read.
    Last edited by teenathlete3030; 06-26-2006 at 10:41 PM.
    6'0" 180
    ........Bench= 275

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    The average adult male is sporting a 40" beer belly these days, so I don't think those 40lbs are good weight.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Well obviously if your 5'7'' you are gonna gain less than 40 lbs naturally through your teens and someone 6'3'' is gonna gain more than 40, so thats how it averages out to 40 lbs.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Yeah the weight you'd gain, and what it would be is completely dependant on the person. If you gained two pounds in a week, even if you were lifting as much as normal, part of it would always be fat. It's sometimes a very good idea to take a week off every two months or so. Many pro lifters will take some time off here and there while on a cycle.
    Last edited by brad-w; 06-26-2006 at 11:51 PM.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 167
    Starting Weight: 147
    Bodyfat: 10% approx.
    Goal: 200 lbs.

200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Did he weigh like nothing before?

160ish, so yeah basically.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.

This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

maybe from 13 - 19 you just grow....so you'd gain weight just by getting taller......i'm not sure about 40....but if you look at the average 13 year old and the average 19 year old....i'm sure there is about a 40 lbs difference

Reach down between your legs and find a pair of balls. That's what it takes to lift big weights. Genetics is the weak man's excuse for why he sucks at life. Don't be that guy - RhodeHouse

Any man under 200lbs is a woman - RhodeHouse

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    I was 128lbs when I started lifting in freshman year. I find it hard to believe I'd be 168 "naturally" in a year or two from now if I didn't lift and eat big. My bro, who's the same heigh as me but 19 years old, was about 145 before he started lifting a few months ago.

well you're assuming teenager means freshman in highscool
    we're talking 13 - 19.
    that's 6 years. 40 lbs isn't much at all in 6 years.
    Height - 5'11"
    Bodyfat - ?
    Max Bench - 180
    Max Squat - 200
    Max Deadlift - 190

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    Where did you get this info from about teenagers naturally gaining 40-50 lbs. naturally ?

Cause if that's true for most people that means I don't have to do anything to reach my current long term goal...lifting is easy, diet is where all the work is at.

110 lbs. + 40-50 = 150-160 lbs. Assuming I stay the same height.

You're already 17 though

some people are strong right off the bat man, i know some large men that didnt lift weights and are really strong and big, so its in the genetics, i have the genetics but some dont, i also have some friends that were big from the start and very strong.

as for not lifting and gaining muscle, i dont see how its possible, maybe from playing football or something.
    2000 or bust

Dude you are on VACATION ...dont be surprised if you gained a few pounds. Also a week off after a good while of hitting the weights hard is a good thing...relax bro...you are looking into it waaayyyy too much
    Last edited by bics56; 06-27-2006 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    It can take up to 10 days or more to FULLY RECOVER.
    This is about all I was looking for. Thanks.
    6'0" 180
    ........Bench= 275

Quote Originally Posted by bics56
    Dude you are on VACATION ...dont be surprised if you gained a few pounds. Also a week off after a good while of hitting the weights hard is a good thing...relax bro...you are looking into it waaayyyy too much
    Along with this.
    6'0" 180
    ........Bench= 275

Wannabebig Member
    you seemed all worried when your weight went up two pounds. two pounds is nothing man. my weight fluctuates from around 135-145 constantly. and yes, im a teenager.

You will be fine, in my experience I end up gaining a couple pounds when I take a vacation. Its usually good weight as your body grows when you rest not when you workout and after a long time lifting rest is good. ( Gives your muscles a chance to recoup)

partioning and test levels are much better as a teenager.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler

138-185lbs in 1.5yrs right here. Thats 47lbs. And though its 47lbs i look physically twice as big in every dimension of my body.

well you have to take into account growth of not just muscles but bone and overall development of the body that account for a large part of the weight gained and then the rest being fat stores and more mature muscles i guess but untill you are 23 ur bones grow!