Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visual Motivation

Wannabebig Member

Visual Motivation

Recently I've been accumulating pics of athletes that have the 'look' I'm after. I am aware of the three basic body types and know mine. I dig the olympic sprinter look ala Michael Johnson.

For example, my body type develops the chest more than the shoulders. I've looked at family pics and all the males have a thick chest but the arms just sort of hang with little delt definition. So I focus a lot on shoulders to gain a more symmetrical look.

That said, I want to put together a workout/ training routine to move in the direction of the athletes that have the look I'm after. Any thoughts on how you guys/gals do the same?

Emm, sounds like you want a moderate amount of muscle with a sub 10% bodyfat

Where is the question? Just bulk to the muscle you want and cut to the low bodyfat.

Genetically there isn't a whole lot you can do to tailor a certain 'look.' Like, you can't change yourself to be black, but.....

go with that!
    Last edited by Eszekial; 06-27-2006 at 05:43 PM.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

200 is small stuff. Margin Of Error's Avatar
    I'm going for the "Dorian Yates" look.
    It's easier to point out the differences between us than to admit the similarities.

This body holding me, reminds me of my own mortality.

Occupational Hypnomania

Wannabebig Member
    haha...good one's! Well, I finally took some pics of myself, one on 6/15 and then yesterday 6/30. VERY HUMBLING to say the least. I really thought I look much more cut. I feel great and thought I looked the same. NOT! The pictures didn't lie. Ironically I found some pics taken 10 years ago when I was really into lifting. I WISH I could look like that again.

It's all about time! I've only been serious 4 weeks now. In two months I think there will be a considerable different, especially since I hit the diet so hard.

Here's a pic of the ultimate "look" for me...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...er/theLOOK.jpg

I also found a site that promotes the "spritner" look and has an entire routine dedicated to it. It will probably make you guys laugh...but he's serious! He's an ex sprinter.
    Pt1:http://www.mercola.com/2006/jun/13/e...t_be_wrong.htm

Pt2:http://www.mercola.com/2006/jun/27/e...t_be_wrong.htm

Quote Originally Posted by pocketplayer
    I hope you're joking. ROTFL

I also found a site that promotes the "spritner" look and has an entire routine dedicated to it. It will probably make you guys laugh...but he's serious! He's an ex sprinter.

Uh huh. That looks reputable.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig Member
    No joke!

That Italiano looks great! I draw my line in the sand and stand by it!! However...I'm 1/2 Endomorph 1/2 Mesomorph body type and would not be able to lean up like that...but then again, maybe. I'm at 225, 6'...have a goal to be 210, then 200. I haven't been 200 in 15 years. Just took some pics of me...humbling to say the least. Way too bulky looking...need to cut.

I'm learning a lot here.
    Last edited by pocketplayer; 06-30-2006 at 03:43 PM.

Gotcha. Flying the rainbow flag. Makes sense now.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig Member
    Flying the rainbow flag

Wow..talk about a judgment! Doood. Listen, to each their own. If you're saying I'm gay...well, that's on you bro. For the record, I couldn't be more heterosexual (I assume you know what theat means..pun intended). Keep in mind the relativity of goals...your vision of whatever you want to be has as many judgments as you seem to make.

For me...waste of time. Adeolescent. You wanna look like The Hulk...more power to ya. You wanna look like a jazz dancer...knock yourself out. You wanna live in a village where everyone thinks the same...join the military. In fact, you sound very military to me...jmo.

Wannabebig&sexy Member
    Huntsville (Northwest)/Russellville, Arkansas
    Pretty sure that it will be each to their own in this thread. Personally, I want to look like the guy in the middle of this picture. I mean, my arms are bigger than his, and more than likely so are my shoulders, traps, and etc...but the guy has a low body fat, defined abs, and a fairly muscular chest (more than likely due to his low bf%), but I do not think it would be bad to look like that.

Some people want to look like Arnold or Ronnie. Personally, I think that is great. More power to those people.

I must say though...the underwear models as motivation (and having those pictures plastered around everywhere) would cause some to question your devout heterosexuality.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Personal Stats
    Bench - 315 lb's @ 1x1
    Deadlift - 365 lb's @ 3 x 5
    Squat - 255 lb's @ 5 x 5
    Fitday

Living well is the Best revenge.

Currently cutting

Wannabebig Member
    Allright...not wanting to go down this road, but...
    I must say though...the underwear models as motivation (and having those pictures plastered around everywhere) would cause some to question your devout heterosexuality.

You have seen a body building pose down haven't you? More shots w/Arnold in a g-string than just about anything else. Plastered around everywhere...lol...it was two pics.

I mean, I just posted a pic of someone I thought looked great. It wasn't me who couldn't get past the underwear.

Talk about losing focus! Wow...what do you guys do at the gym?

Hilarious. I think this thread has died.

Banned
    So...Did you want to look like the underwear model stupid haircut and all? Or is that a variable in your 'Ultimate look' ?

I hope you don't have half naked guys posing in pictures hanging on your walls =). The best visual motivation anyone really need:

1. a big dry erase board
    2. many different color dry erase markers
    3. draw out a table
    4. record your weekly accomplishments

Personally i think looking at my numbers progressing from week to week really give me the most motivation. I'm always ready to go to the gym to do better than last week.

As for those underwear models, some do have the bodies worth achieving, but it would take years of dedications. Plus they are getting paid to do it.

What's with all the people cutting up this guy for striving to have the look of an underwear model???
    This is exactly what I want, and for people to say they question his heterosexuality??? Im lost, where the **** did they get that idea from? Are people this immature to look at a picture and think this?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Occupational Hypnomania
    I wanna look like hulk hogan.

The first underwear model has a great body... better than 99% of the male population for sure. He's not skinny and he has low body fat.

There's nothing wrong with wanting that kind of body. It's obvious that the original poster doesn't want the gay haircut and greased up look.. it's a BODY building forum not a plastic surgery or hair-styling forum.

I want to look like me. thats all ive ever wanted
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Mine is still
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

The first underwear model has a fantastic body. If anyone here posted a pic like that in the members pic area, he would have 10 pages of nothing but praise.

I think we are all forgeting how hard it is to become that lean and large naturally

Quote Originally Posted by accuFLEX
    The first underwear model has a fantastic body. If anyone here posted a pic like that in the members pic area, he would have 10 pages of nothing but praise.

...for an underwear model, that is.
    Last edited by Stray; 07-01-2006 at 06:48 PM.
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

is way too skinny!
    haha...good one's! Well, I finally took some pics of myself, one on 6/15 and then yesterday 6/30. VERY HUMBLING to say the least. I really thought I look much more cut. I feel great and thought I looked the same. NOT! The pictures didn't lie. Ironically I found some pics taken 10 years ago when I was really into lifting. I WISH I could look like that again.

It's all about time! I've only been serious 4 weeks now. In two months I think there will be a considerable different, especially since I hit the diet so hard.

If I look like that, I will be so happy I'd **** my pants.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

I think it is great that a lot of you have backed "pocketplayer" on this. It shouldn't matter to what extent of the picture, atleast he has his goals set, and if that motivates him, more power to him.

As for those who question his sexuality, GROW UP! Think for a minute of the times you have searched on the web for workouts, looked through muscle mags, and other types of activity such as this. I would put money on it that you have come across half-naked men in posing suits and such. To put outside of the bodybuilding world, this could also question your sexuality. Could it not?
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be a good friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

My goal is Bo Jackson / Arnold Schwarzenegger. 6'1 230 6% bf. Bo Jackson (or any athlete with a great body) is really motivational through the use of highlight films.
    Last edited by Ares; 07-02-2006 at 09:55 AM.
    6'2 206

I want to look like this:

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I WANT TO LOOK LIKE ANTHONY!!!

and I want my gf to look like Built