The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

How many of you have made goals for this year?

I am making goals in all areas of my life and this year I am gonna get my friggin arse in gear and blow the lot of them away.

The goals I made for january I am blowing away, as I actually wrote then down and thought about HOW I am gonna get them.

Anyway one of my goals was to be strong for this year, and to day I am going through some of my less concreate goals and making them more concrete.

I came up with this:

Squat: 160k/350lb's * 6

Deadlift: 180k/400lb's x 6

Bench: 100k/220lb's x 6

These are a LOT LOT higher than I am doing now, but of course I am changing things to make sure these DO happen.

Have you made goals and if so what?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Just to be a lot more serious this year, I had a few problems (injuries) last year and never properly got back into it.

I think my strength goals are quite similar to yours, except I've gotta get back what I had first

and and on a non bb note, I'm gonna do work as I get it, and stop leaving it till 3am the night before an essay/write ups due in.
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

Fitness goals
    Squat, 405x10
    Deadlift, 465x10
    Bench, 315x10
    The bench may be a little too lofty, but its something to shoot for.

I'd like to get my bodyfat to a level that will allow me to compete in the NPC Mr. Michigan.

Academics
    Get my grades back to a level that are consistent with my standards, i slacked off majorly last semester.

Continue to study all aspects of nutrition so i can be more competent in my dieting and so i can be better equipped to help others with theirs.

Other stuff
    Continue lining up interviews with people for my future career.

Keep investing all my extra money.

Get my golf handicap down to scratch, so i can try out for the golf team at my university next fall, that's another 6 shots.

Learn to take some time for myself.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Soca King
    I had major goals for my life and between since last year I achieved most of them and here they are/were

1)Get a post secondary degree/diploma:Last year I went to business school took a course in Business Management and graduated with an average of 87.5%

2)Take my bodybuilding seriously:Last quarter of 2000 I took bodybuilding way more seriously and now I look bigger and thicker than I ever have.I'm getting pics taken by a friend and hopefully put on CD-ROM for easy uploading.

3)I've gotten my learner's permit so I'm hoping I can have my full licsense by spring of this year.

4)This one is taking a bit longer to achieve than I want.And that is to be employed in the business industry(Office work)And I've taken steps towards this a)The school I attended gets job orders all the time from various business around my city & b)I registered myself with Canada's largest job site workopolis.com,how it works is you put your resume online and you can apply for dozens of jobs without leaving your house and employers from all over Canada can view your resume as well.And it does work because I've had 2 businesses contact me Drake International and Clarica Insurance.So who knows maybe a job will be in the cards come this spring.And if that happens I can move out into my own apartment and some where down the road meet some of you fine gentle men
    Last edited by Big Show; 01-27-2002 at 07:56 AM.

excellent to see people making goals.

From what I am learning at the monent heres some ways to not only make sure you make your goals but toally blow them away.

1.) List 5 things for each goal that you will feel/have if you do NOT follow through on your goals.

2.) List 5 things that you will feel/have if you do follow through with your goals.]

3.) List as many things as you can that you can DO to make these goals happen over the next year. Remember Action is what is going to make these goals come true.

3.) Read your goals each morning and these things. It'll take 3 mins and help you stay focused.

4.) I now write a to do list each morning and make sure these are things that will help me achieve my monthly goals. I know if i hit these I will achieve my yearly goals and my life goals. Its very motivating.

Also heres my full goals for 2002 seeing as well have started talking about other stuff

Personal Development

:: Read a minimum of 1 book per month

:: Improve my Adobe Photoshop skills to the level at which people are very impressed. (At least the level at which my partner is at now)

:: Learn PHP programming to a level that I can program a data based driven site with a content management system.

:: spend 10 minutes recording my life and feelings in a journal daily each evening.

:: Maintain a Wannabebig journal tracking my fitness progression updating it each morning.

:: Master Tony Robins development skills and NLP skills

:: To be able to constrictively debate in technical arguments on the area of sports nutrition and exercise on wbb

Health / Fitness

:: To be able to do at least:

Squat: 160/350 x 6

Deadlift: 180/400 x 6

Bench: 100/220 x 6

:: To be in the best physical shape I have ever been in my life.

:: To consistently eat healthily without it having to be a task, but to not even think about it.

:: competitively box

Professional

CNM

:: Bring in sales revenue of 60K+

:: Increase awareness through print/radio advertising

:: Attend 6 chamber events, and 6 general events

Wannabebig

:: Surpass 5000 forum members and 500,000 posts

:: Implement an eCommerce store selling own line of sport supplements and bb accessories.

:: Improve the features of Wannabebig on a monthly basis

Personal

:: Improve relationship with friends and make more friends.

:: Keep Bedroom and Office consistently tidy

:: Have a loving, caring, affectionate relationship with gf.

:: Do not use computer after 6pm on Mon-Fri

Financial

:: Clear my bank loan of 4300

:: Contribute 10% of my income to a deposit account.

:: earn 20k in salary.

Thing Goals

:: Summer holiday with gf

:: Alloy wheels and Spoiler for BMW
    Last edited by Joe Black; 01-27-2002 at 08:16 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

decease, RIP
    yes. But my goals are not year related, I just make them up as I go along. Some of mine:

-Get to 180lbs 10-12% before the summer, aiming for april.
    -Not loose my drivers licens again.
    -Do something fun this summer.
    -Go to a fitness expo thing in october.
    -Pass enough exams so I still get money next school year.
    -Figure out what I want to do for a living.
    -Be more relaxed

my goals are :

Bench- 350lbs
    squat -400lbs
    deads-440lbs

and get better math grade and have more fun.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Originally posted by Hulk
    excellent to see people making goals.

From what I am learning at the monent heres some ways to not only make sure you make your goals but toally blow them away.

1.) List 5 things for each goal that you will feel/have if you do NOT follow through on your goals.

2.) List 5 things that you will feel/have if you do follow through with your goals.]

3.) List as many things as you can that you can DO to make these goals happen over the next year. Remember Action is what is going to make these goals come true.

3.) Read your goals each morning and these things. It'll take 3 mins and help you stay focused.

4.) I now write a to do list each morning and make sure these are things that will help me achieve my monthly goals. I know if i hit these I will achieve my yearly goals and my life goals. Its very motivating.

Also heres my full goals for 2002 seeing as well have started talking about other stuff

Personal Development

:: Read a minimum of 1 book per month

:: Improve my Adobe Photoshop skills to the level at which people are very impressed. (At least the level at which my partner is at now)

:: Learn PHP programming to a level that I can program a data based driven site with a content management system.

:: spend 10 minutes recording my life and feelings in a journal daily each evening.

:: Maintain a Wannabebig journal tracking my fitness progression updating it each morning.

:: Master Tony Robins development skills and NLP skills

:: To be able to constrictively debate in technical arguments on the area of sports nutrition and exercise on wbb

Health / Fitness

:: To be able to do at least:

Squat: 160/350 x 6

Deadlift: 180/400 x 6

Bench: 100/220 x 6

:: To be in the best physical shape I have ever been in my life.

:: To consistently eat healthily without it having to be a task, but to not even think about it.

:: competitively box

Professional

CNM

:: Bring in sales revenue of 60K+

:: Increase awareness through print/radio advertising

:: Attend 6 chamber events, and 6 general events

Wannabebig

:: Surpass 5000 forum members and 500,000 posts

:: Implement an eCommerce store selling own line of sport supplements and bb accessories.

:: Improve the features of Wannabebig on a monthly basis

Personal

:: Improve relationship with friends and make more friends.

:: Keep Bedroom and Office consistently tidy

:: Have a loving, caring, affectionate relationship with gf.

:: Do not use computer after 6pm on Mon-Fri

Financial

:: Clear my bank loan of 4300

:: Contribute 10% of my income to a deposit account.

:: earn 20k in salary.

Thing Goals

:: Summer holiday with gf

:: Alloy wheels and Spoiler for BMW
    *** Holy shiat!
    Hurry up and burn those cd's for me mate.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

last years goal for me was to be the same weight in the summer of 2002 as in 2001 but with 10% or lower bodyfat. I doubt I will make it but its not completely impossible still.

other than that simply pass the school tests, play good ball, get some @#!$, snowboard.

bench 300

GOALS

June 2002
    Deadlift - 455 x 6
    Squat - 365 x 6
    Bench - 245 x 6

January 2003
    Deadlift - 520 x 6
    Squat - 430 x 6
    Bench - 300 x 6

June 2002
    190 @ 8% bodyfat

Bespoke Super Mod
    Training
    Deadlift 400lbs+
    Squat 315 for reps

College
    To be consistent and dedicated to my studies and hand in my assigngments on time.

Family and Friends
    Improve relationship with Father
    Involve my close friends far more in my life, because at present I only see them on infrequent occasions.

Relationship
    Hopefully this year will the year that a mutually loving and caring relationship will evolve.

Internet
    Only use net in the evenings if absolutely necessary, i.e. research or for relevant purposes.

Travel
    I will endeavor to visit my great uncle in White Plains, New York. I have yet to meet him and as he is nearly in his 90's, I just don't know how long he has left so I would like to visit him and NY.
    Try and visit Toronto, Canada. My mums cousin has invited us and this is a place I have always wanted to visit
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

I want to be able to bench 300 by next christmas. I also want to weigh 190-200 at about 8%.

I also want to make the deans list wherever I go to college next year.

And before I graduate this year, me and my friends are going to cause a massive flood at school because they wont let us wear our hats. I can close my eyes now and see the turds floating out into the cafeteria during B lunch. I cant wait!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I plan on finishing all my classes this year and doing well in them.

As far as lifting goes, I plan on competing in a minimum of 3 powerlifting events. One is actually March 2nd and is a non-sanctioned full meet. The other 2 are sanctioned by the USAPL and are bench/dead meets. One in June, one in December. I plan on hitting 455 or better on my deadlift in the June meet where I will compete as a 165 lb lifter. That will be good for a NY state record in the Juniors. I then plan on topping that mark in December.

One of my buddies who will go to those meets with me is trying to convince me into doing the last qualifying round of a Strongman competition where I would compete as a lightweight. I'm not too positive about that because it is in March and I haven't had much training for it, but we shall see.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

My goals for this year

*bring my benching up to 450-500lbs
    *bring squats up to 400-450
    *bring my bodyfat down to 10-15 %
    *bring myself closer to being out of debt
    *to better regulate my diet
    *to enjoy life more

Lifting goals:
    Place first at nationals
    squat 500 bench 330 dead 570+ by end of year
    Stay at 181 but lower bf% to something in the 10%area
    Stay injury free!

School:
    get above 70% on my marks and do good in bio

Other:
    get a steady/semi-steady income
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

What I want to do:

*get my grades back up this semester, which will involve some hardcore studying and reorganizing
    *prove to my math teacher that she is a f*cking retard for thinking I don't belong in BC calc
    *continue my training with the same level of enthusiasm
    *lower bf to 13-14% eventually
    *improve my familial relationships

"Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Originally posted by captain piddles
    *bring my benching up to 450-500lbs
    How much are you benching now?

Wow, going from 325 to 450-500. If you woulda said 375 I woulda thought that was aggressive.

Oh well, my goal is to scare small children when I take off my shirt this summer. And YES, I mean with my muscles!
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I know it seems awfully high, but trying to reach the goal is my goal, "its not so much getting to you destination as much as it is learning along the way", besides who knows, my diet and training might hit stride with eachother this year, if that happens than there will be big growth ..... I hope

starting to bulk, wanna hit 215 by may 1st

Get laid.

Fook my teacher, got 4 months to try.

Pass classes.

Start lifting and dieting consistently again.

Re-gain complicated thinking ability.

Sleep consistently.

Kill at least one stupid person, without getting caught.

Complete Inari Vachs collection.

Tis all.

Pay off all my debt.

Begin work on my fitness site and especially its content.

Advance my job skills regarding the tech arena.

Reach 190 lbs with decent body fat.

Bench 315, Squat 405, and DL 450, all for several reps.

Make myself realize that I'm not worse off for being single.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

had to go locate my new year's resolution post to find my goals....

Originally posted by Tryska
    okay..i think i'm ready....

1. get to my goal BF% by, conservatively, july, although it might be sooner. or later, we'll see how my body decides to work with me.

2. get my finances in order. I want at least 3 months worth of expenses in savings.

3. get my license and passport in order.

4. possibly get a new car, we'll see how long it takes to get #2 done first.

5. take a real live vacation for a change.

6. grow my hair to my waist, which once it curls up and stuff, puts it at about mid-back.

7. perhaps give this relationship stuff a whirl again. (that's iffy though)

i think that covers everything......
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?