Thread: front squats

Hybrid View

front squats

I was wondering where exactly you put the bar? I was using 185 and had it on my front delts with my hands crossed and it was killing me, i did 2 reps and then just had to stop. Is this the right position or what. Iv also tried it in clean position and thats not that much better as far as pain goes.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Ive tried many ways of holding the bar and most of them are going to cause some pain. The most effective and helpway way you can do it is go from a powerclean to the frontsquat and rep the weight that way; hold it like you would a clean in lockout form and it can help increase your cleans aswell

alright, ill give that way a shot next time. i guess i can kill 2 birds with 1 stone in that method.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I've used as much as 225lbs for reps and it didn't pain me much more than very slightly (more like uncomfortable).

You have to find the right groove, keep playing around with it. There should be a spot somewhere where it slips in real nice.

You might just need to add some meat to those delts though. They've always been a strongpoint for me so maybe I just have pads so to speak, who knows lol.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 06-28-2006 at 04:17 AM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

haha well maybe ill focus on the delts some more. Yeah when i place it on them, it feels like its digging in right on the bone really, and if i move it forward more its like actually sitting on my anterior head and its hard to keep up. i dunno man ill toy with it some

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    You have to find the right groove, keep playing around with it. There should be a spot somewhere where it slips in real nice.
    Hahahaha may be i'm just thinking dirty.

hahahahhaha i just noticed that too

Personally, the two times I tried with arms crossed in front caused some pretty intense pain - I couldn't get more than a rep in before I had to put that f'er back on the rack. Holding it in clean position, though, only makes me slightly uncomfortable. I do think I'll be trying to find the 'spot' for crossing my arms ultimately, though, because at a certain point the weight's going to be too heavy to let it sit on my fingers.

Don't ask for a lighter load. Ask for a stronger back.

Fool around with both. The clean position is harder for me because of an old wrist injury so my right is not as flexible as my left. I normally do cross-armed but now after watching this video of Craig Smith using his straps that way, I'm working on that.

http://www.kiltedthrower.com/video/Fronts.wmv

Impressive!
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Banned
    Holding the weight in the position after a clean requires a certain ammount of wrist flexibility. It bother me as well, but even after doing them twice I'm better able to position myself. I don't know if it's because of flexibility or technique, but hey it's working!

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    I normally do cross-armed but now after watching this video of Craig Smith using his straps that way, I'm working on that.

http://www.kiltedthrower.com/video/Fronts.wmv
    Ummmm......wow. That's a lot of weight.
    I guess you could use a towel for padding as well.

I've done 220 for reps with an arms crossed over grip and it killed me.
    I previously didn't have the wrist flexibility to use a clean grip. After relearning the movement from scratch with a clean grip, i actually find this way much more comfortable aswell as being able to keep my torso more upright.

Banned
    Anyone else have balance problems when doing these? I would really like to incorperate them in my routine. But I seem to have trouble keeping on my heels. Suggesitons?

WHen I do these it seems like my stomach is the weak link and causes me to drift forward.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

That video of that guy is amazing and his form works for him if you are simply a powerlifter type lifter. For those who have interests in the things olympic lifts have to offer need to frontsquat the clean way, it will help improve flexablity over time and offers more; however theres no reason to waste time doing this motion if you dont intend to carry it over to powercleans

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    That video of that guy is amazing and his form works for him if you are simply a powerlifter type lifter. For those who have interests in the things olympic lifts have to offer need to frontsquat the clean way, it will help improve flexablity over time and offers more; however theres no reason to waste time doing this motion if you dont intend to carry it over to powercleans
    Craig Smith is awesome. That was the first time he did front squats I think, he normally does Zercher squats.

http://www.kiltedthrower.com/video/585.wmv

Most people here aren't O-lifters though, and if they were they'd probably have a good coach to help them out, so I didn't worry too much about that.

I've actually been doing front squats in place of back squats for a while now because I struggled with form on back squats. Front squats allow me to stay upright and keep my back arched much easier.

I use the arm crossing method of holding the bar. With 200 pounds it is not uncomfortable at all.

Squatting in the Curl Rack
    Quote Originally Posted by DokterVet
    I've actually been doing front squats in place of back squats for a while now because I struggled with form on back squats. Front squats allow me to stay upright and keep my back arched much easier.

I use the arm crossing method of holding the bar. With 200 pounds it is not uncomfortable at all.

I've found that doing front squats has helped my back squat form...

and doing power cleans has helped my front squat form.

There's some sort of lesson in there somewhere, but I dont think I'v elearned it yet.

Front squats from secondary after back squats, you should really work on those before anything, they offer much more results. Back works the quad while front is more of a glute exercise

I thought front squats since on the front of your body require more quad isolation so therefor more quad work than back squats? not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    Back works the quad while front is more of a glute exercise
    haha never heard anyone said to do front squat to get bigger glutes before

I think he got it backwards.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

yeah, switch those around

Squatting in the Curl Rack
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    I think he got it backwards.
    That's because he got it backwards.