Thread: This is my leg workout for today. Need opinions and critiques.

This is my leg workout for today. Need opinions and critiques.

I really want to start nailing my legs hard so I can have nice gains and larger thighs and calves. This is my workout:

Squats:
    1x8 135
    1x8 145
    1x8 150
    1x8 155
    1x8 165
    1x8 175

SL Deadlifts:
    1x8 155
    1x8 175
    1x6 195

Leg Curls:
    2x8 170
    1x8 190

Calf Raises (Smith Machine):
    1x12 135
    4x12 225

Any suggestions on what I should add or decrease to have more gains. I was currently following a workout close to WBB #1 but decided that I would like to have a four day split. As of now the split is four days and chest/back is on Monday, legs are on Wednesday, Friday is triceps, biceps, and shoulders, and Saturday is another leg day.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 06-28-2006 at 12:04 PM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Banned
    In my opinion: I think you have too much going on outside the squat rack. You can target quads by using a narrower stance. Althought weight will suffer, I feel it is worth it. Use a shoulder width stance or narrower and crank your quads. Then do some leg extentions for a good blood mover.

On to hams. base it around your sldls. then do some leg curls for a good pump and leave them.

I'd do varying rep ranges for your squats. 12,10,10,8,6. Or something similar.

I personally feel if you can give a stellar effort on quad extentions and leg curls. Then you haven't squated or deadlifted hard enough.

This of course being MY opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

biggest problem i see is you're doing too many sets with lighter weight. you need to bump up the intensity here. focus on fewer sets but try to put some more weight on the bar. you're not going to get big quads or hammies squatting or deadlifting less than 200lbs. that's less than your bodyweight if your sig is correct.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by RBB
    biggest problem i see is you're doing too many sets with lighter weight. you need to bump up the intensity here. focus on fewer sets but try to put some more weight on the bar. you're not going to get big quads or hammies squatting or deadlifting less than 200lbs. that's less than your bodyweight if your sig is correct.
    I had osgood schlatters syndrome and it really sucked ass. Wasn't able to run, cycle or lift for a few months. Right now all my squats are below parallel.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

looks like you just need some time then. a great set of wheels will take anyone years to build. just hit the heavy weights on squats and sldls while maintaining good form. follow up with some leg extensions/leg presses/leg curls and you'll be headed down the right path.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thanks for the replies. I was doing three sets of squats with four sets of leg presses. Then I decided that I was tired of leg presses because they didn't help me with my stabilizers so I just do squats now. Plus, I like squats a lot more. They're my favorite exercise.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 06-28-2006 at 01:34 PM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Quote Originally Posted by RBB
    biggest problem i see is you're doing too many sets with lighter weight. you need to bump up the intensity here.
    :withstupi

swap out SLDL for RDL
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I would do more heavy squatting. Warm up, but then hit them heavy.

That or fly to Utah, work legs with Smalls, and cry for the next 4 days when you can barely walk.
    Nick V

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    What's the point of slowly increasing up with a rep range of 8? You're just tiring yourself out and thus decreasing the poundages you likely could be squatting.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

The squat set up looks similiar to how I train my legs. Everything else is just gravy. I'd suggest adding more sets in for your calves and playing around with the rep range.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

i suggest getting away from the smith machine when doing calf raises, and you a free bar...heres just a preview of what can happen with smith machine:

this happen after the actual set was finished, and in the process of locking the bar in place.
    Last edited by shoot4dabigtime; 06-28-2006 at 06:12 PM.
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be a good friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

I honestly think if yo'ure doing sets of 8 continously you're not starting off heavy enough. You could easily be squatting 225 or more if you weren't doing so many sets of 8 to begin with. Try increasing each set by 20 lbs instead of 10. As a general rule of thumb for myself, on big lifts such as bench, dead and squat (if I do them) I increase by 20 lb increments each set and 10 lb increments on other exercises.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."