The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Wannabebig Member

Help!

I'm 19 and I wanna get a little bigger and cut. Right now I weigh 165.

And I want to slim down my chest. There's like a layer of fat I can't get rid of! Wanna get ripped abs too and get rid of the love handles..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (44.4 KB, 403 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (34.7 KB, 257 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (35.5 KB, 214 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (56.1 KB, 195 views)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You'll find it hard to get bigger and more cut at the same time.

To reduce your body fat you'll need to get your diet sorted out.

Start by reading every article and sticky on this site.

Wannabebig Member
    Alright well scratch getting bigger just cutting down

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Eat less.

Dude...it looks like you don't have much to cut down to. Focus on putting on some quality meat first, then cut to that. Losing the fat you have would make you look like an Ethiopian.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

So far you've gotten poor advice from this thread so I'll chime in.

To get leaner you'll need your diet in order. To get bigger you'll ALSO need your diet in order.

You're new to lifting so you'll be able to get leaner and put on muscle at the same time. The trick is meal timing.

Also remember all calories are not created equal.
    Max Lifts:------------------ Goals
    Bench Press: 215lbs------- 250lbs
    Squat:300lbs------------ 300 lbs
    Deadlift: 335------------ 350 lbs
    ----------------------
    Total: 850lbs ---------- 900 lbs

You need to start lifting.

Get to crazy and you will get burnt out. Don't worry about weight, just bench, squat, and clean.

Come back in 4 months and then you will see your goals are alot different.

lifting heavy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies
    You need to start lifting.

Get to crazy and you will get burnt out. Don't worry about weight, just bench, squat, and clean.

Come back in 4 months and then you will see your goals are alot different.
    :withstupi

to the OP, personally i would start eating healthy foods high in protien at a good amount dont stress it to much as of yet and lift 2-3 times a week with basic movements to get your body used to weights, i assure you you will see results in your body in a matter of a month, then after you kick it up a notch you can decide if you want to cut or bulk, right now just start doing a healthy diet and lift.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 10-06-2006 at 01:37 PM.
    2000 or bust

Reason I suggest powercleans instead of deads incase anyone wonders-
    seems more effective for what his goals are, they will strengthen his whole body and the exercise will help him shed some calories and strengthen his heart because its a power movement.

Im obease

Learn how to eat right. Basically, stop eating junk food, start eating healthy carbs/lots of protein/healthy fats. Eat a lot after you workout, and eat a lot of small meals throughout the day. Do some readong on your own about this. Try to gain a little bit of weight, it will be in the form of muscle and it'll give you a good base, afterwards you'll lose the fat (you'll lose some fat if you run sprints, too)/

Here's a really simple workout so you don't have to do any more research for awhile and get confused about stuff. Trust me when I say it'll work real well for you even if not everyone else agrees.
    Do a 3x a week routine that focuses on compounds and make sure to add weight to the exercises each week. You don't have to go to failure.

Example:
    Every monday/wednesday/friday do these exercises. Do about 8-10 repetitions, and 2-3 sets.
    Incline DB Bench
    Dips
    Chin-Ups
    Rows
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Weighted Sit-Ups

Once or twice a week, if you feel up to it, run sprints (don't quite go 100%). Walk in between sprints and try not to rest too long.

there's a million different things you need to learn to optimize your physique quickly. Read a bunch of the articles on this site, elitefts.com and t-mag.com and you'll be on your way. Post your questions on the forums.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 10-04-2006 at 09:28 PM.

You guys are forgetting that sometimes cutting makes a man look bigger.

At the same time, since he has "barely anything" to cut, he can cut and still be in a healthy weight range.

How is saying "put on some quality meat" better advice that stating "a newbie to the game can do both"

It's spelled obese btw.
    Max Lifts:------------------ Goals
    Bench Press: 215lbs------- 250lbs
    Squat:300lbs------------ 300 lbs
    Deadlift: 335------------ 350 lbs
    ----------------------
    Total: 850lbs ---------- 900 lbs

I don't think there's any sense in him cutting at this point. He can do a maintenance thing where he doesn't bulk or cut but happens to lose fat and gain muscle and that'll probably work. It'll probably work just about as well if he just puts on a few pounds, though.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin
    I don't think there's any sense in him cutting at this point. He can do a maintenance thing where he doesn't bulk or cut but happens to lose fat and gain muscle and that'll probably work. It'll probably work just about as well if he just puts on a few pounds, though.
    I want to put on a few pounds but also get muscle, cut. Is there an example of a powerclean here on the forums ?
    Last edited by BidChest; 10-04-2006 at 09:47 PM.

Don't bother with power cleans unless you have someone who really knows what they're doing teach you how to do them. Don't have some "friend who lifts weights" and don't watch them online. It is an incredibly technical lift that you really don't need to be doing.

I know what your goals are and I tailored my advice around that. There's really a whole lot that you still need to learn before you can really even understand your goals (for example, you're not going to be "turning your fat into muscle" and you're not going to be doing exercises that make you look cut or "toned") and if you just cut all your fat then you're going to be a 120lb man that looks anorexic and unhealthy with any clothes on. Just spend a few months putting on some muscle and then cut the fat off, you'll be much better off in 5 months, just suck it up until then.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 10-04-2006 at 09:56 PM.

1. I'm successfully cutting. My diet is in order, and I have a significant amount of muscle to cut down to.

2. This kid does not have a significant amount of muscle on his frame. It was my advice (you know, what he came in here looking for) that he put on some good mass so he can cut down to that and not look like a kid on a Sally Struthers commercial. I still see nothing wrong with that.

I stand by what I said. Clean bulk first, then cut.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 10-06-2006 at 01:39 PM.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

[QUOTE=VikingWarlord}.I stand by what I said. Clean bulk first, then cut.[/QUOTE]

ahmen
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

You cut to reveal muscle. He has very little muscle - therefore cutting is a bad idea. He would do well trying to eat healthy and starting to weightlift. He's a complete beginner so he'll put on a bit of muscle fairly easily to start.

I gave him good advice. If he read every sticky in the lifting and diet forums (like I told him to) he'd be off to a good start. We can't be expected to give every single new guy a full explanation of everything - that's what the articles and sticky threads are for.

Quote Originally Posted by KarateBoy
    So far you've gotten poor advice from this thread so I'll chime in.

To get leaner you'll need your diet in order. To get bigger you'll ALSO need your diet in order.

You're new to lifting so you'll be able to get leaner and put on muscle at the same time. The trick is meal timing.

Also remember all calories are not created equal.
    Poor advice?

The trick is meal timing? Complete ********. Studies have shown the difference between 3 and 6 meals is absolutely nothing. Total calories are what matters. The effect of timing is negligible.

"Not all calories are created equal." - thats a horrible statement. Is the OP supposed to understand what that means? Try reading the diet forum from time to time - we are still arguing about this. You can't avoid basic physics - if energy out is bigger than energy out, you lose weight.

Read this -------------->> pipes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo
    Poor advice?

The trick is meal timing? Complete ********. Studies have shown the difference between 3 and 6 meals is absolutely nothing. Total calories are what matters. The effect of timing is negligible.

"Not all calories are created equal." - thats a horrible statement. Is the OP supposed to understand what that means? Try reading the diet forum from time to time - we are still arguing about this. You can't avoid basic physics - if energy out is bigger than energy out, you lose weight.

Yeah, who is giving the poor advice? Care to elaborate on any of that Karateboy. I've been around this board for a while and I've read a lot of your previous posts and all you seem to do is regurgitate the same garbage all the time. You seem to look down on everyone else as if you know it all. Calm down, stop trying to act like a hero and try to show a little more respect for other peoples opinions.
    5'11" 220lbs.

BENCH - 330 x 1
    SQUAT - 405 x 1
    DEADLIFT - 450 x 1

"Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching." -- T.J.
    "Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough." -- Unknown

For the record, I don't buy that at all. I'd like to see how the studies were conducted. I would guess that they seriously lacked external validity.

Listen to KingJustin. He has given you some good advice. There is no reason that you can't shed some bodyfat and increase your strength while eating at maintenance. I've done it before at a worse state than you. Just read the stickies in the diet forums and you should be fine.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Scratch the cut focus on building some quality muscle. You wont like how you look if you cut now. Trust me. Just start bulking and lifting hard. Read around on this site so you get your diet in order.

good luck.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidelmo

Flame bait!!

Aw come now dave I thought you of all people would realize the importance of macro's

hehe
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)