Thread: Westside plifting routine help

hmm, I like to be big!!!

Westside plifting routine help

I've been doing an HIIT plifting routine, which has worked great so far, but its been slowing up as of late. I think i should try something new. I need help building a westside plifting routine, i was thinking of Monday-Squat, wednesday-Bench, Friday, Deadlift... To my understanding of the westside routine, it involves a cycle, i'd like my cycle to be a 8 rep, 5 rep, 3 rep, max week cycle. For bench day, I'd like military presses. For Back day, I'd like pulldowns. For squat day calf raises, my home gym, has no dumbbells. I do also realize however, that, I still don't know/understand too much about westside, such as the whole percentage thing. I also realize, that I'm going to need to have more differents kinds of workouts, but im not sure which ones would work too well. I'd like someon'es help on pieceing this all together if someone's willing to help.... IF u need any more info, my maxes are like 225 bench, 310 squat, and 310 deadlift. I eat a whole lot, i jog in the morning, cause it makes me feel good, and, i sleep really well.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Nejar, check out the article i did on westside, heres the link http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=46
    If you still have questions i'll be glad to help.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

BIG BOI
    westside:

monday-squat ME day
    wednesday- bench ME day
    friday- squat DE day
    sunday- bench DE day

on ME(max effort) days u dont do just squats,u alternate between high box squats,low box squats,good mornings,seated good mornings,etc. the way the sets work is every set u increase by 30lbs...so it may take u 10 sets or 5 sets depending on how strong you are....on ME bench day u alternate between close bench ,board press,floor press,close incline press,etc. every 2 weeks change your choose of exercise..also must westsiders do good mornings about 75% of the time for ME days.

on DE(dynamic effort) days u do around 6-9 sets of 2-3 starting at 50% OF 1RM untill u hit 60% 1rm. around that time u should test your 1RM on bench and squat which should be like every 9 weeks.

if u dont under stand what im saying u can check out the westside website www.elitefts.com or go to the training articles here on WBB and check the westside article....

BIG BOI
    damn you GB!! u beat me to the question!!

go read GB's article...good stuff!!

I guess all the speed sets paid off

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    WOW, my head, wow, hmm, ok, well lets get started, so one week would be,

Mon: ME. squat like exercise, then I'd do an assistance workout to fix one of my weak points, than, an abs, obliques and reverse hypers.

Tuesday: ME, Bench like workout, Press movement, lat work, light shoulder work

Thursday, DE, speed squat. speed deadlift, then I'd do an assistance workout to fix one of my weak points, than, an abs, obliques and reverse hypers.

Friday, DE, Speed Bench, Press movement, lat work, light shoulder work

And, here are some more q's, how do i know what my weakness is? Do i have to switch all of the workouts around all the time, or can i do the same ones every week except for the ME ones. If I do'nt go to failure on assistance workouts, than what do i go to? How much of a gain can i expect to get?

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Your routine looks like its good.
    You find your weekness by knowing where you fail on the lift. For ex. if you failed on the top of the bench your weakness is tri's or if you failed on the top of dead you need stronger glutes.
    Generally you switch the ME excercises every 1 to 3 weeks and the assistance every 2-5 weeks.
    You just go to near failor, once you feel like your a rep away from failing the excercise stop. Just go till you start to strain really hard then stop the set.
    Gains depend on a couple of factors: genetics, food intake, planing your program properly, how out of balance your muscles are right now
    Say for example right now on the deadllift you can pick up 360 lbs to above knee level then fail but your max is 300. If you strengthen the glutes you will be able to deadlift 360lbs.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    ok, then whats a reverse hyper? and what would be a good warm up to see what my max is? sorry but my last routine was extremely simple compared to this one.
    Last edited by nejar462; 01-27-2002 at 05:16 PM.

Reverse hyper is a apparatus/machine that targets your lowerback,hams and glutes. I dont have one available so i cant use it
    Good warmup would be : for 300lb max
    bar 5
    95 5
    135 5
    185 3
    225 3
    275 1
    300 1
    then either 310 or 320 depending how easy you got 300

The routine only seems complicated right now. Just read all the articles at elitefts.com by dave and you'll be set. Check out my journal and latty's westside journal and Fangles journal to see some workouts.

do you guys actually use a box for box squats? or a bench? I don't see any boxes at my gym...just wondering what height they are if you do use a box.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I made a box and brought it to my gym. Its 11" high 16 x 19 base

Hmmm...would the height of the box be dependant on the height or other stats of the person? just tryin to think if it would or not...obviously some people will feel more/less comfortable with different heights.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Its depends on the height of the person. Im only 5'7 and have short legs so i need a low box to sit on. If you make it too low you could just put plates on top of it to adjust the hieght.

Yeah, the only other thing I'd worry about is how fookin strong it would have to be...i mean if i weigh around 250, and i'm liftin more than that it would have to be pretty strong...although i'm no craftsman so mebbe 5-600lbs is not such a big deal...

Current FFFA Enforcer

the wood i used for mine was only 1.5" thich or so
    It doesn't bend at all with me (185) and 300+ pounds on it

Wannabebig Member
    im a new westsider but i LOVE it! it seems alot harder then it is but you will get the hang of it quickly. i had a post a few weeks ago where latty, getin, powerman, paul etc all helped me out.

i use a box for squats, a reg bench is to high.
    It's not quantity, it's quality!

There's a few mods you'll want to make to Westside if you don't use equipment, esp. bench shirts, knee wraps, and squat suits.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    damn, i don't, what do i have to do?

First of all, you'll want to include some direct chest work and work to emphasize the starting strength in the press.

Westside's emphasis on tricep work is mainly because they use heavy shirts, and don't need to concentrate as much on the start. Us RAW lifters don't have that luxury.

Another thing is to use a more narrow stance in the squat. Westsiders tend to squat ultra-wide.....but the sacrifice is their depth. The elite Westsiders rarely make depth in the feds strict about that kind of thing.

Also, with no suit you'll want to use a higher percentage of your 1RM for box squats.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

If your going RAW then I would definatly make a few mods to the program. On speed squats i would still train with a very wide stance but on ME days i would bring it in abit. On bench ME days you will have to do a bit more full range movements and every once in a while do a heavy set of 6-9 of illegal wide grip bench on ME day. More dumbell work will help alot too.

I will be making a new thread soon to incorporate some of this type of training into my routine...if you guys could read it over I'd appreciate it. Power I will be trying some periodization/conjugation type sh!t so you'd be an excellent resource as well. Thanks in advance.

Current FFFA Enforcer

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    ok, sorry for the need to baby fed, but..... lol, this is all new, and my equipment is fairly limited, all i have is straightbar, a box, a squat rack, a bench, 300 lbs of plates, pull down machine, and a really messed up leg machine, which, i could only use unless absolutely necessary, i feel my weakness is definetly my lower back, can someone help me figure out a good plan? I understand all of the mods for me because i dont' have the equipment.

Quick questions, by squat rack do you mean powerrack or just a rack that is big and pretty much only good for squating and partial deadlifts?

I'll guess you mean just squat rack so heres an example routine:

Sunday
    ME excercise low box squat/close,medium,wide stance good mornings /zercher/sumo deads/ partial deads/ good morning squats/front squats
    glute ham and lowerback excercise sldl/pull thrus/zerchers/good ams/ sumo deads/partial deads
    abs and obliques

tuesday speed bench
    8 triples of 60%1RM grips ranging from close to wide
    Pushing excercise like closegrip bench/wide grip/jm press/board press/pin press
    tricep extension
    lat work and shoulder work

thursday speed squats
    8 doubles with 60%1RM
    speed deads 6 singles with 55% with 15sec rest
    glut ham lowerback excercise such as the ones above
    ABs obliques

Friday ME bench
    ME excercise closegrip bench/close grip incline/wide grip set of 6/jm press/board presses/pin press/reverse grip press
    pushing excercise llike the ones above
    extension
    lat and shoulder work
    Last edited by Adam; 01-28-2002 at 04:34 PM.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    thanks for your help dude, im going to try this, sorry about the no journal thing, but ill see how this goes and post results in 6 months, big props to pietro, 2000, powerman, and cal, but most especially adam.