The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    nice lower body work con
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

nice job con
    2000 or bust

lookin' good!
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Learning as I progress
    September 11, 2006

Weight:
    After 6 days of maintenance, im happy to see that my cals were pretty close to maintenace as I weighed in at 172.

Today started the lowerin of my cals, gonna do 2200 and 2400 with more carbs in general. Wanna see how that goes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Nate, Stump, ddeg - Thanks guys.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Other than my back being sore for some reason, today should be good. Rest day and no work either. TTyl guys.
    Last edited by Con; 09-11-2006 at 04:19 AM.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp
    nice job con
    Nice job for sure dude...good deal on getting those db deads in the mix as planned.

Oh those pesky delicious carbs!!!!

Glad to hear maintenance went well and you didn't go NUTS! I'm back on cutting as well! Let's keep each other accountable!
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Sounds like a good plan!
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--

Learning as I progress
    September 12, 2006

Lots of stuff in todays post, and only one "bad" thing so to speak. Ill prolly end up editin this post like 100 times, so look for updates

Workout:

Deadlifts:

135 x 4
    185 x 4
    235 x 1(big jump, i know)
    245 x 1
    255 x 1
    265 x 1
    275 x 1
    285 x 1
    295 x 0
    235 x 3

On last set, i completely put the weight down, and repicked it up. Gonna start doing thing with all sets, so deadlifts should be lighter, but porbably still more intense.

DB Rows:

55 x 6
    55 x 6
    55 x 6

Good control, but form felt a little wierd. Hope im doin em right.

BB bench:
    Shared bench with a guy who was going pound for pound with me....with reverse grip

115 x 8
    135 x 5
    155 x 2

DB Incline:

35 x 8
    40 x 8
    45 x 8
    45 x 8

3 sets of Prayer crunches
    3 sets of calves

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coke - Yea, no more having to load the weight, so i can stick with it. Btw saw some huge guys at the gym today, kinda reminded me of you: big(this word might be insulting to these huge guys), black and bald

Zek - Yea, was kinda lookin forward to going back to cuttin, gettin in just 300 extra cals was kinda hard, especially when I was busy. We can def keep each other motivated man, should be fun!

ddeg - Sure does! btw didnt you mention a gf or sumthing in your journal? no time like the present to get closer while weights aint the best option.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whats up wit school:
    Well school is startin and i like the set up. Got health/gym and both are an easy A. Got my english class with a sorta "pushover" teacher but it should still be a good class. My IT class is probably most challeneing and only one with homework which i do in my last class since thats supposed to be for my online course. Doin online stuff at home and its going great so far.

Kids at school seem carefree:
    Im not sure if its just that im paranoid sometimes, but damn the kids at my school seem like "whatever". Just kinda hit me today, wouldnt mind being carefree like that one day.

Kids with compliments:
    A bisexual girl and a bisexual guy came up to me today when we were leavin school. We were talkin just messin around. They were like "damn nick, you lost a lotta weight" and just saying how I look better. Then since I have kind baggy pants on, the guy saw down my pants when I was pullin em up, and was like "I see penis" and we all three started joking around. I didnt care since they did compliment me and im not homophobic. Just funny times.

Gym class:
    When i did run, tryed to make it sprints. Tommorow we are runnin the mile, gonna see how I do, gotta get protein shake and **** rdy. Also I got weight and height at school. Im 177 and 5'9". So i was right about height, and ama just stick with weight on granny scale since thats all i got access to.

Packed gym:
    DDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN. Lots of people at the gym, couldt believe it. Had to break down the rack for the bar, so I could get in my DLs as someone was usuing the one I usualy use. Saw 3 huge guys workin out together, made me wanna say "**** cutting, ama go home and eat!!!!". Hope its not like that tommorow.

Supps:
    44 pounds of supplement direct protein due here friday....dunno where ama put it all.

Interesting day today, not sure if i forgot anything but theres always an edit button. Ama work on online course and just chill, so ill be back. Peace guys.
    Last edited by Con; 09-12-2006 at 04:21 PM.

Hmmm....nice deadlifting man! About that joke about "I See Penis"....maybe it's just me, but in my mind that sets of this little message to lay five of my knuckles into the person who said that's face. Perhaps I am just an angry person
    Don't asker for a light load, but a strong back.

JOURNAL

Best Meet Lifts @ 220 Raw:
    Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500
    Total: 1330

Learning as I progress
    Thansk, the heavy lifts felt good, cant wait to ramp up the intensity the next couple weeks.

And about the guy, I know him, we've talked and i know he was just messin around. Yea he was outta line, especially since im a "One way" kinda guy(if u catch my drift) but i know how he is, he just liked to joke and is lighthearted. Also he is mad cool with most of the cute spanish girls(hell hes cool with most of the cute girls period) and who knows when having him as a friend will come in handy.

Classmates comments are always the best!

Keep up the good work! 295 is sooo close...

Yea, thats a goodpoint but shes bust as hell. Shes my ride right now too and from class. And we see each a lot anyway.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...

excellent lifts sir. glad to see little tidbits of our lives
    make this journal a little more homey (iduno if thats a word)
    I don't have time. I make time.

"I see penis" haha

I woulda been like "hope you got a good look cuz that's the last time I show it off for free" haha, or something to that effect

anyways, workouts look good, keep it up
    Last edited by KingWilder; 09-13-2006 at 06:17 AM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

I bet the big black bald dude(s) you saw at your gym had nothing on me, lol - ...j/k, fine workout bro.

Con, I am SO impressed - you're focussed as hell!

Nice job on the progress - it's very rare to see this level of focus in someone so young. Keep up the good work!

You should wear underwear
    Eszekial's Journal

Learning as I progress
    September 13, 2006

Long post, and something i find serious, please look for larger test!

Workout:

Squats:

135 x 8
    155 x 6
    175 x 6
    185 x 3
    185 x 4
    185 x 4

Superset
    Leg Press:
    3pps x 8
    3pps x 8
    3pps x 8
    Leg Curl:
    80 x 15
    80 x 15
    80 x 15

Did these quickly also, me and lady wanted to use at same time and she was nice enough to let me have it, so i have very little break in between sets.

Seated Preacher Curl:
    These numbers are assuming the bar was 35 pounds.

55 x 8
    65 x 5
    65 x 4
    65 x 5

Wanted a new arm exercize but not sure if i like these, they were giving the back of my arm a "rug burn" effect.

Hammer Curls:

25 x 8
    25 x 8
    25 x 8

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ddeg - Thanks man, wanted 295 but after gettin 285 I think i subconsciously was content with it, next time i will make sure i really want more!

albanat0r - Hehe, think its a real word, if not who cares, i understand. Thanks for the compliment, and i like puttin my life into the journal, gets it out of my mind and get some good advise around here.

KingWilder - LOL, i can imagine them both being funny and whippin out like a dollar each . If that ever gets brung up again, will deff use it. Thanks.

Coke - No doubt big guy, they only REMINDED me of you. Didnt have the beastness of da Coke man!

Built - Thanks built. I was lookin at some old posts of mine and I saw you were the one who gave me all the wrong answers to my question when I was new here. You taught me a good lesson and I appreciate it. Thanks for the compliments.

Zek -Hhahahahahaha, you bastard. When I saw you were the one who was the last one commentin, I was like "good good, gonna geta good encouraging post". Instead i get told to wear underwear...bastard!

Thank everyone, saw these posts before i left for the gym, and made me hit the weights that much harder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arrogance:
    Realized it dont work on me. I had to run the mile today and i couldnt do it. It wasnt so much that i couldnt do it, nor was it the immense pain in my chest(never ever felt pain like that) but it more that I was being sort of a dick with friends about runnin a ten minute mile the day before. Last year I could run the mile in 8-9 minutes. After stoppin like .75 of the through, i came to like a 12-13 minute mile. I realized humbleness it the way to go.

Kids at gym:
    There were like 5 of them. Messin around, doin flips on the pullup bar, and sittin on top of the weights. They challenged a guy to do a lat pulldown with one of them on top of the weight. Now i understand why people appreciate some common sense over other qualities.

Cutie at school:
    Call me shallow but this cute girl i know gave me a crappy hug this morning. After gettin out of my last class, I saw her and she gave me a big hug and it felt good.

Guy at gym:
    The guy who the kids were messin wit came up to me and said "you trainin for foot ball?". I said "No, just training". I said I had great squat form and depth, and i apreciated that, made me feel a lot better.

-----If you dont read anything else in this post, read this-------
    Cramp thingy:
    When I was wlakin home, i got like a muscle spasm(no idea if this is an accurate name) right below my calf and right above my ankle. All i can do to describe it was went i bent my toes forward a bit, the muscle there would be in pain and my toes would be pulled even more forward. Happened on my right foot first, then left foot a couple minutes later.

Well that was today, great day, except for the run and the cramp.

Peace guys.
    Last edited by Con; 09-13-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Con

Built - Thanks built. I was lookin at some old posts of mine and I saw you were the one who gave me all the wrong answers to my question when I was new here. You taught me a good lesson and I appreciate it. Thanks for the compliments. .
    I had to look baaack ...

You must mean this one:

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    "What types of foods are absolutely not acceptable on a cut deit?" None.
    "Besides meats, what other types of foods are good to eat?" All.
    "Is there any times of the day that is it good or bad to eat?" No.
    "Whats wrong with fried foods and saturated fats?" Nothing.
    "I know to become cut, you need cardio, is taebo a good type of cardio?" You don't need any cardio to cut.
    These answers were correct actually. Just bitchy and not very specific!

I'm relieved to know that in my obvious PMS I didn't scare you off!

<hug>

Learning as I progress
    Hhehe, you got it!

Yes, big hug indeed!!!!!

now gotta run to store with granny and get my some Natty PB! Yumm!!!

said I had great squat form and depth, and i apreciated that, made me feel a lot better.
    Brilliant!

Sound like you need to hydrate and take your multi, see if that helps.

Nice leg session!
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...

Humbleness beats arrogance by a long shot, but sometimes you have to be a dick toward stuff, lol...good session.
    Last edited by Coke; 09-14-2006 at 04:26 AM.

DLs and squats looking great.
    Drink more water and stretch. I had horrible cramps on my calves in the past. I would wake up in the middle of the night screaming in pain. Compliments of the dehydration and not stretching enough on leg days.
    Training Journal
    3/27/06 - 150lb, 17.8% BF
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs
    Dead 215x4 (4/24/06), 255x1 (5/22/06), 295x1 (8/23/06), 315x1 (11/24/06)
    Squat 185x4 (4/19/06), 235x3 (5/31/06), 275x1 (8/21/06), 315x1 (10/25/06)
    Bench 135x5 (4/24/06), 160x3 (5/22/06), 145x3 (8/23/06)

"Deadlift is like my girlfriend. She pisses me off at times, but i still love her." - DNL

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06

Learning as I progress
    ddeg - Been taking multi, and during school its hard to drink enough water since i dont wanna be askin to go to the bathroom twice every period;when i get home though its all good.

Coke - Yea, makes it fun, but its better OVERALL to be humble.

Built - LOL, you do that too?

Dumbell - Yea, funny you mention that, this morning i woke up and the spot where the muscle spasm or w/e happened was really sore, dunno what happened. Btw do you mean stretch on leg days or like everyday? Thanks for help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rest day today, actually in school right now, so ama do all homework for weekend and some of my online course assignments/reading for next week.

Saturday is workout in morning, work at 3 P.M.; Sunday is work in morning and workout right after.

Till then, take it easy guys.

Stay focused homefry! Way to keep up with the schoolwork!

Be ripping **** up and pimpiing the ladies in no time my boy!

Urinating is good!
    Last edited by Eszekial; 09-15-2006 at 11:42 AM.
    Eszekial's Journal