The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    You ought to be happy and proud even for not skipping out on the session after some long hours at work, good stuff.

Learning as I progress
    July 16, 2006

RAWR!!!!!!

Theres nothing like waking up at 7AM when you dont have too and then heading over to the gym. Makes a guy feel dedicated.

So workout went well, didnt dislike it as much as last week.

Romanian Deadlifts:

225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5

Good Mornings:

95 x 8
    95 x 8
    115 x 8

Lunges:

30's x 15
    30's x 15
    30's x 15

Dips:

BW x 2
    BW x 2
    BW x 2
    BW x 2
    BW x 2

Cable Pressdowns:

70 x 8
    80 x 8
    80 x 8

So its the end of my second week of BGB and I didnt realize it until I was walking home. So i will definately stick with it for a while.

Special Questions:

-For RDL's, you are suppossed to keep you knees from bending as much as possible and go right below the knee or is that incorrect form?

-When doing GM's, can your legs tilt back a little when you are going down? and is the bar supposed to be on your neck or your traps?

-For a nutrition questions, i am carb cycling and I was wonderin if I have an extra meal after my workout that has carbs, should it only have carbs and protein, or is fat ok? just wondering becuase the anabolic window is still open when I eat again.

Thanks for visiting. Take care.

EDIT: didnt even see your comment cocoa, thanks for the vote of confidence
    Last edited by Con; 07-16-2006 at 07:47 AM.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Good stuff going on here man. Keep it up.
    For GMs rest the BB on yout traps, not neck.
    Training Journal
    3/27/06 - 150lb, 17.8% BF
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs
    Dead 215x4 (4/24/06), 255x1 (5/22/06), 295x1 (8/23/06), 315x1 (11/24/06)
    Squat 185x4 (4/19/06), 235x3 (5/31/06), 275x1 (8/21/06), 315x1 (10/25/06)
    Bench 135x5 (4/24/06), 160x3 (5/22/06), 145x3 (8/23/06)

"Deadlift is like my girlfriend. She pisses me off at times, but i still love her." - DNL

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06

Learning as I progress
    July 17, 2006

Todays a rest day and im just checkikn in update my weight. Every monday will be my weigh in.

After raisin my cals 200 on each day, I went from 176, to 180, an overall net loss of 1 pound from 2 weeks ago. So i will stick with these cals and see how it goes. Im guessin last week was a lot of water weight.

And for some reason I was thinkin abouyt something I read this morning. And it was about bullheaded body builders living by the Philospohy of: "If it taste good, dont eat it". Well I made an awesome breakfast which was eggs with fried onions, peppers, and broccoli. YUM!

Learning as I progress
    Well since I have them in mind I thought Id ask some questions:

Questions:
    -For a post workout shake, since I dont have dextrose or whey and I will probably only get whey, would this be a decent PWO shake:
    -Oats
    -Tuna, Milk, or cottage cheese
    -Splenda

-How many carbs are necessary before a workout or is that dependant on the person and routine?

-My question arises from this article: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=81941
    When trying to weigh fish, do you just take the ounces after its cooked or do you need to multiply it by something special?

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Con; 07-17-2006 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Con
    Well since I have them in mind I thought Id ask some questions:

Questions:
    -For a post workout shake, since I dont have dextrose or whey and I will probably only get whey, would this be a decent PWO shake:
    -Oats
    -Tuna, Milk, or cottage cheese
    -Splenda

-How many carbs are necessary before a workout or is that dependant on the person and routine?

-My question arises from this article: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=81941
    When trying to weigh fish, do you just take the ounces after its cooked or do you need to multiply it by something special?

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. Thanks for reading
    Preworkout - you'll have to fiddle with this. I like to get in about 30g of slow carb (usually oats) about an hour or so before I train.

Postworkout, how about ditching the shake and having a big glass of chocolate milk with a lowfat tuna sandwich (use lowfat mayo for this one) on white bread?

I usually weigh food cooked; use the USDA nutrient database if you're stuck on a food item.

Learning as I progress
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Preworkout - you'll have to fiddle with this. I like to get in about 30g of slow carb (usually oats) about an hour or so before I train.

Postworkout, how about ditching the shake and having a big glass of chocolate milk with a lowfat tuna sandwich (use lowfat mayo for this one) on white bread?

I usually weigh food cooked; use the USDA nutrient database if you're stuck on a food item.

Ok,thnaks but are you really serious about the chocolate milk and mayo after working out? Thought it was supposed to be carbs and protein only.

Thanks for answerin Built.

Chocolate milk is protein and carb, and lowfat mayo with tuna on bread is more protein and carb.

Particularly if you've had some protein and carb pre-workout, this should work very nicely for you.

Oh - another option for tuna and lowfat mayo is tuna with lowfat cottage cheese, mixed about half and half. Surprisingly good, considering how weird it sounds. And more protein to boot!

Learning as I progress
    Learn sumthin new everyday. Thought I had to be extremely clean on a cut but hey ill listen to built. Thanks, you da woman!

It's not perfect - the chocolate milk has SOME fat, and the sugar its sweetened with is sucrose. But if it fits your macros, and you simply do NOT have access to whey and dextrose, it'll do the trick.

Personally, I don't do a lot of liquid meals on a cut - I prefer to chew what little food I get.

My preworkout nutrition is a protein waffle, extra cottage cheese, and fruit (and a few nuts if I can afford the calories), and a sweet potato with meat right after. I may start having a small dilute shake with protein and dex as my cut progresses to keep me from going catabolic - I just really hate to drink the calories.

Learning as I progress
    Well yea, I hear ya on liquid cals.

I was thinkin of a shake though, heres what it would be:
    -.5 cup of oats
    -1 cup of skim milk
    -2 tablespoons of hersey syrup
    -.5 cup of cottage cheese

Belive this works out to like 4 or 5 grams of fat, 70 maybe 75 carbs, and like 26 grams of protein.

And I will make it fit into cals, btw I thought fruit was a NO-NO for pre or post workout meals.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Learning as I progress
    July 19, 2006

My day off from work, so its right to the gym in the morning.

Workout consisted of.......

Deadlifts:

225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 5
    225 x 3(grip failed)
    205 x 5
    205 x 5

For these I beleive my form wasnt too good so im considering just doing 205's staright through.

DB Rows:

Each arm:
    55 x 8
    55 x 8
    55 x 8

I belive my form was pretty good but I might go down to 50's and go for a more slow and controlled row.

Flat Bench:

135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5
    135 x 5

Im literally scared to go up on these, I have no spot and bench has always been a trouble lift for me, so unless I feel really good on my first set, Ill be stickin wit 135.

DB Incline:

40 x 8
    45 x 8
    45 x 8

MY back arms felt it more than my chest, as a matter of fact unless I do a lot of volume, I never feel anything in my chest....ohwell.

3 sets of calves
    3 sets of abs with a 35

Pretty nice day, today was the first time I did deadlifts first and I didnt see a difference from doing them after chest, but Ill keep it this way just incase.

Special Questions:PLEASE LOOK AT THEM

-For Deadlifts and squats inparticular, is it good to go the heaviest youre planning to go on the first sets and then lower weight? or should I build up to my max for the day?

-Another question about deadlifts-I use a step for my deadlifts so I can go very low to the ground, is that necessary to work the back sufficiently? Or are off with floor deads, even with the 45's stopping me from going down very far, hitting the back good enough?

Just asking because Soon I will go up in wiehgt for the deads, and I know Ill feel uncomfortable stepping on a step as the weight goes higher.

PWO Shake:
    And to finish off my workout day I had a special drink that had:
    -1 cup of skim milk
    -2 tables of hershey chocloate syrup
    -.5 cup of oats
    -.5 cup of lowfat cottage cheese
    Macros came to:
    430 cals
    4g of fat
    70g of carb
    26g of protein

This is only until I get my dextrose and whey. Planning on ordering it tommorow or friday.

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Con; 07-19-2006 at 07:56 AM.

Nice job, doing very good - your flat bench numbers will rise up gradually once U get a training partner for chest days.
    Last edited by Coke; 07-19-2006 at 08:23 AM.

For Deadlifts and squats inparticular, is it good to go the heaviest youre planning to go on the first sets and then lower weight? or should I build up to my max for the day?
    I've always added more weight as I go. No ryhme or reason just what I do.

Another question about deadlifts-I use a step for my deadlifts so I can go very low to the ground, is that necessary to work the back sufficiently? Or are off with floor deads, even with the 45's stopping me from going down very far, hitting the back good enough?
    If your doing convential deads, go off the floor. If your doing SLDL or some variation for you hams/glutes than off a box is fine.

Have you thought about doing DB's for your BP? I've done this for a long time because of no spotter. It's worked really well for me thus far.

Lookin good, the DB rows will really help your grip. Keep doin 'em!
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Learning as I progress
    Well actually no, ive never thought about it, but I dman sure am now, if i lay flat ona bench and use DBs, will be it the same as a BB bench?

And next time ill go off the floor for deads.

Thanks ddeg!

NO its not exactly the same (BB vs. DB). But it still works your chest and tris.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--

good numbers man!

for DL and squats I increase the lb as I go, DL are from floor, and DB bench involves more stabilizer muscles, i think alternating DB with BB would be the best combination
    Training Journal
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs

"Deadlift is like my girlfriend. She pisses me off at times, but i still love her." - DNL

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06

Learning as I progress
    July 20, 2006

So its my usualy routine. Up at 7, out the door by 8, walkin in the rain by 8:01. Didnt bother me too much tho, better than the ridiculous heat.

So now to what you are here for.....

Squats: First attempt at double wave loading(think this is what its called)

185 x 3
    175 x 4
    165 x 5
    195 x 3-----my PR for squats with free weights.
    185 x 4
    175 x 5

Leg Press:

3pps x 8
    3pps x 8
    3pps x 8

Leg Curls:

70 x 15
    70 x 15
    70 x 15

Hate these sumtimes, feels like im a second from a cramp, gotta remember water next time.

Alternating Bicep Curl: Sort of an attempt at wave loading

40 x 5
    35 x 5
    30 x 5
    35 x 5
    30 x 5

Hammer Curls:

25 x 8
    25 x 8
    25 x 8

My PWO shake was the same as yesterday....very good! But i am gettin whey today and dextrose soon. Which leads me into my specials questions section

Special Questions:

-I was thinkin when I get my dextrose , I would take about 15 servings(w/e equals to 60 g of CHO's) and about 20 to 40 grams of whey for my PWO, does that sound reasonable?

Well thats it for now.

Thansk for support Cocoa, you're becoming of one of my fav people.

Thanks for the Help DDeg, prolly gonna switch to DB or atleast switch off.

And thanks for coming in again dumbell, i will prolly do what you and ddeg reccomended, and see how it goes. Ill let you guys know next week.

peace.

There are quite a few people on this board and to hear you're moving me closer to the forefront already bodes well and means much, that is very nice imo. 195lbs for triples on squats is good, fine session overall Nick.
    Last edited by Coke; 07-20-2006 at 08:25 AM.

That's some nice volume on the leg workout, and strong squatting. Keep it up Con, I'll be stoppin in more often
    Last edited by DGabe24; 07-20-2006 at 08:32 AM.
    Don't asker for a light load, but a strong back.

JOURNAL

Best Meet Lifts @ 220 Raw:
    Squat - 475
    Bench - 355
    Dead - 500
    Total: 1330

Nice looking workout, don't worry about the Leg curls, I get the same thing sometimes (reason I do them very rarely, outside of UD2 land).

I don't have too much expericence with Dex, but try out that combination you posted and see if it works for you. I've seen 20g of dex all the way up too 200g of dex. It seems its completely individual.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...

nice overall workout nick
    hydration is very critical - I drink 1.5-2 liters H2O 1 h before workout and at least another 1.5 liter during workout
    Training Journal
    8/23/06 - 153lb, N/A BF

Lifts and PRs

BSG Season 3 - 10/6/06

Learning as I progress
    Cocoa -encourage me constantly so its only natural i take a linking to you

DGabe-Thanks man, glad you came by, ill be checkin up on you too soon

ddeg-Yea, i did some searchin and found some various amounts, ill try this and see how it goes.

Dumbell-for some reason i never thought of this, prolly cuz i always had it in the back of my mind that i hate having to stop workin out to take a piss. But ill definately suck it up and drink plenty of water before/during my workouts.

On a side note, i got my whey(cheap stuff at sams club) and im ordering my scale and dex tommorow.

I forgot a question earlier, just incase anyone might know:

-When using the hammer strength machine, which grip should you use? I instinctively used overhand but today i noticed 3 guys using it and they all did underhand.

Thanks for the support and for anyone who stops by.

I'm assuming your talking about the Hammer Pulldown machine. I personally switch it up depending on how I feel. Supinated (Palms Facing you) will use your biceps more so it's eaiser. Pronated (Palms Facing Away) will be more of your lats, but for some reason my bi's burn more on these. I usually do 2-3sets of Supinated, followed by 1set of pronated, kill's the lats and the bi's.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...

Learning as I progress
    July 22, 2006

Very likely this post will have more than my journal readers are used to, like my feelings, what im thinking right now and maybe some random ****. So if you are not interested then just stick to reading my workout.

Workout

Chin ups:
    Overhand:
    BW x 2
    BW x 2
    BW x 2
    BW x 2
    BW x 2

Hammer Strength Machine:

50's(each side) x 8
    50's(each side) x 8
    50's(each side) x 8

Bent over Laterals:

10 x 12
    10 x 12

Arnold Presses: Did the dounle wave load thing

40 x 3
    35 x 4
    30 x 5
    45 x 3
    40 x 4
    35 x 5

Side Laterals:

15 x 8
    15 x 8
    15 x 8

Farmers Walks: 3 sets with 80 pound dumbells
    3 sets of weighted crunches with a 35 weight

PWO Shake

This was the best thing I think I ever tasted that didnt make me feel guilty about eating.

It contained:
    -2 cups Skim milk
    -2 Scoops of Whey
    -.5 cuts oats
    -2 tablespoons hershey chocolate syrup
    Cals: 660
    Fat: 8 g
    Carb: 84 g
    Protein: 61 g

It had a great blend of chocolate and the vanilla from the whey. YUMMY

MY help on cutting:
    -I got my whey they other day(think I mentioned this already but ohwell)
    -I got my scale yesterday(I was like a kid with a new toy when I got it home)
    -Ordered my dextrose yesterday

How I am Feeling Today:
    -Last night I attempted to go to sleep at 10(needed to be at work at 7) but I dont think it happened until 12.
    -Work sucked since I work with some lazy ass ****ers(it would be so encouraging if you had a boss or superior who you knew you could count on). I mean wtf is with them telling me to do one job, then when im almost done, they take over and send me to another harder job. GAY!
    -I need to sign up for the SAT and stop being lazy.

Random Sections All itws OWN:READ this SECTION
    When I first started work I had these pants. They just fit around my waist. I kept forgetting to mention this since I was going to use the pants to help show progress. Well before I could tell anyone I saw progress. I put on pants and they came over my thighs easier than normal and buttoned up easier. IM HAPPY!

Well that was today, I feel a little better after talking to parents and lettin some of my steam off here.

Thanks for visitin.
    Last edited by Con; 07-22-2006 at 01:49 PM.