Thread: Form on hack squats, barbell curl

Wannabebig Member

Form on hack squats, barbell curl

I'm having a lot of trouble with these hack squats - the bar wants to catch the back of my calves going up, and then bang my achilles heels going down (made the tendons really sore when I got to a heavy weight). I'm getting into all kinds of bad form trying to keep the bar from contacting my legs. Is this a common problem? I have gotten pretty damn frustrated with this exercise!

Barbell curl - how stationary can you stand while curling a lot of weight? This may be a stupid question. I'm up to 150, which is a little less than 3/4 of what I weigh. I feel like I've got enough power in my arms to curl it, but I can't do it without swaying back. I think this is probably bad form, but, "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction," so, on the first part of the movement, when you're pushing the weight away from you're body, wouldn't that inevitably tend to push your body back in the other direction? It's not a movement where you're braced against anything, like the bench press.

I'm rambling on now about a simple question - is sway bad, and if so, how do you avoid it?

Wannabebig Member
    Start the hack squat in the same position you would be at the bottom of a regular squat.Thighs parallel to floor.

Make sure that during the concentric phase you are always bringing your torso upright. The bar needs to be moving with you from the start of the push.

If you find yourself pushing more at the knee rather than the hip you will push your body forward and your head down. You now have the weight still on the floor but your legs have nearly straightened, now the only way to get the bar up is to pull with your back and drag the bar up your calves.

Take some weight off perhaps; same for curls I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the R
    Barbell curl - how stationary can you stand while curling a lot of weight? This may be a stupid question. I'm up to 150, which is a little less than 3/4 of what I weigh. I feel like I've got enough power in my arms to curl it, but I can't do it without swaying back.
    Have you considered preacher curls? This will allow you to eliminate any body movement or momentum from assisting the lift.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Banned
    Hack squats are a lot like deadlifts - as a result they will chew up your legs. I just pull up my socks.

You can try doing the curls with your back against a wall. It makes things a lot harder. You could also try doing seated dumbell curls. That way you have something to brace your back against.

Wannabebig Member
    Well a bit like deadlifts, but much more like squats.

Wannabebig Member
    Munch - I'll run through your instructions with the bar tomorrow, see if I can figure out what's going on wrong.

I'm doing the same amount of weight on Zercher squats, except it's MUCH harder on Zercher squats. It doesn't feel like much weight for hack squats.

-TIM- - Nope, I'm still a noob. I'll have to look up preacher curls - I've got an old copy of flex magazine with a preacher curl article.

RedSpikeyThing - I may have to try that "back against the wall idea." Thanks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Munch
    Well a bit like deadlifts, but much more like squats.
    It's a hybrid. Only difference between hacks and deads is that the bar is behind you for hacks. But yes, it does burn your quads out pretty damn good.

Wannabebig Member
    Did the barbell curl up against a wall today - much harder! I had to drop down to 104 lbs. I'm having a hard time not toppling forward tho when the weight is at the mid part of the movement. I can manage at 104 but it's going to get tough when I add weight.