The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

protein absorption and diarrhea

I'm taking a new brand of shakes and they tend to give me the runs. From my understanding, diarrhea is a result of food passing through the intestines before all the water/nutrients are able to be extracted. I am not sure if it is possible to pass protein out in one's stool. Is consuming this stuff a waste? Can someone clarify? Thanks.
    Last edited by ClubberLang; 07-03-2006 at 11:45 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

One Winged Angel MagnaSephiroth's Avatar
    Try eating before taking the shake so it sits in your stomach longer

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    what brand is it?

You'd be surprised but you could be lactose interolerant
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 07-04-2006 at 08:27 AM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Wannabebig Member
    I have the same problem, and i was just gonna post asking if it was a waste to take it if u just crap it out 2 hours later? Or does your body obsorbe the calories and protein etc

i bought it at www.allthewhey.com their prices are insane. To be fair, their WP isolate has been good to my tummy. Their whey protein blend has been leass agreable. I usually can't drink whey protein concentrate at all but i decided to give their isolate/concentrate blend a try.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    I was getting the runs until I switched brands. Apparently I don't do well with the shakes that use artificial sweeteners. Aspertame = bathroom nightmare for me. So I just stay away from it. I switched to a protein that doesn't use any artificial sweeteners and I've been just fine now.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    Sometimes you can actually be eating to much protein. I know its rare and studies exist showing most people can handle high protein diets, but from eating 1.5g of protein times my bodyweight (Im 175 lbs so roughly 250g protein everyday) and taking creatine, my kidneys and liver went biserk. They simply couldnt handle all of the toxins being created from breaking down the protein and so I had diahrea and bad gas from my body trying to get food out of my system in a hurry. I had a healthy and nutritious diet, but it wasnt very balanced as about 45% of my calories came from protein. As a result I have elevated amounts of creatinine and BUN in my blood which are toxins your kidneys are supposed to take care of. After finding out this was happening a couple days ago from my doctor, Ive backed way off of 250gs of protein daily and am noticing hardly any diahrea/gas now. I get my blood taken again tomorrow and hopefully the creatine and BUN levels have dropped back to safe levels.

Not trying to scare you but just letting you know its a small possibility judging from your symptoms.
    Last edited by Quattro; 07-04-2006 at 08:39 PM.

I use to get the runs all the time when I used other protein supps... Soon as I switched to Nitrean I have no problems with the runs, I do get slight gas but nothing too intolerable.
    Long signatures SUCK.

~Nico

Wannabebig Member
    On an empty stomach I have to hit the head within an hour of taking a full serving of Opticen. Every time.

I do not have this problem with Nitrean or Met-Rx.

IDK why but I had mad blowouts when I started taking all my supplements but that all stopped after about a week and now Ive doubled and tripled the doses without any relapse or anything... id say my poop is almost too solid now... (maybe thats the raw quaker oats?)

Shouldn't protein drinks make you constipated if anything???? No toilet is safe when I'm bulking!!!

^
    A comment so nice...it had to be posted twice
    5'6", 145 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by leveque
    ^
    A comment so nice...it had to be posted twice
    slow server

Wannabebig Member
    So which brand of protein should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy E.
    So which brand of protein should I get?
    I like optimum nutrition, double chocolate I believe is the flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by ehscrewdude
    IDK why but I had mad blowouts when I started taking all my supplements but that all stopped after about a week and now Ive doubled and tripled the doses without any relapse or anything... id say my poop is almost too solid now... (maybe thats the raw quaker oats?)
    Sorry... I know this is an old thread.

I started my bulk on Monday, and I've started having horrible problems in the afternoon. Every day now, I run to the restroom (pun intended). One more minor attack in the evening, and it goes away and I'm good to go for the rest of the night.

This got me wondering if maybe I was lactose intolerant, or not handling eating all this food so well. Are you saying there's a chance this will just go away as my system adjusts? I'm willing to keep this up for another week or so as an experiment... but it's not fun.

Second question... if it turns out I'm lactose intolerant, and this problem is because I've added 2.5 - 3 pints of 2% milk to my diet... am I really getting those milk calories? Wouldn't this mean some of that sugar isn't being digested and therefore isn't getting into my bloodstream, and my daily caloric intake is less than I'm calculating?

HCT-12, Split #2 I 5/17/2010 - 6/18/2010
    My Journal
    My Fitday

Quote Originally Posted by mikej
    Sorry... I know this is an old thread.

I started my bulk on Monday, and I've started having horrible problems in the afternoon. Every day now, I run to the restroom (pun intended). One more minor attack in the evening, and it goes away and I'm good to go for the rest of the night.

This got me wondering if maybe I was lactose intolerant, or not handling eating all this food so well. Are you saying there's a chance this will just go away as my system adjusts? I'm willing to keep this up for another week or so as an experiment... but it's not fun.

Second question... if it turns out I'm lactose intolerant, and this problem is because I've added 2.5 - 3 pints of 2% milk to my diet... am I really getting those milk calories? Wouldn't this mean some of that sugar isn't being digested and therefore isn't getting into my bloodstream, and my daily caloric intake is less than I'm calculating?
    If the enzyme lactase is not hydrolyzing lactose into galactose and glucose, then no, you aren't absorbing it.

Unfotunately there's not really a definite way for you to determine how much lactose you body is hydrolyzing.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle
    If the enzyme lactase is not hydrolyzing lactose into galactose and glucose, then no, you aren't absorbing it.

Unfotunately there's not really a definite way for you to determine how much lactose you body is hydrolyzing.
    OK... but is there a ceiling? In other words, let's say I'm taking in 600 calories in milk, but I'm only hydrolyzing X calories. If I take in 700 calories, does X increase, or is it a set amount based on the amount of lactase my body makes?

Or... would spreading out my milk consumption help? I know we don't even know if this is my problem, but if it is... my current M.O. is to have a pint at 9:00 AM, a half-pint at 10:30, and a pint at 1:15 PM. Maybe spread that out into the evening?

:edit: I know I'm not totally intolerant, I always have had milk in my diet.
    Last edited by mikej; 08-17-2006 at 02:29 PM.

My Journal
    My Fitday

Wannabebig Member
    well i dont think its lactose intolerant with me cuz im using isopure zero carbs fruit drink.. and holy ****.. its tearing me up

Quote Originally Posted by mikej
    OK... but is there a ceiling? In other words, let's say I'm taking in 600 calories in milk, but I'm only hydrolyzing X calories. If I take in 700 calories, does X increase, or is it a set amount based on the amount of lactase my body makes?

Or... would spreading out my milk consumption help? I know we don't even know if this is my problem, but if it is... my current M.O. is to have a pint at 9:00 AM, a half-pint at 10:30, and a pint at 1:15 PM. Maybe spread that out into the evening?

:edit: I know I'm not totally intolerant, I always have had milk in my diet.
    Just switch to sweetened soy milk. I actually prefer the taste to milk, it's SOOOOO good.

I kept up the same-'ole routine with my milk consumption yesterday, and ended up being just fine in the afternoon. A little uneasy, but no major "issues". So... I'm thinking I must just be getting used to the big increase and it took awhile for my system to adjust.

Feasible?

My Journal
    My Fitday

what is your daily fiber intake?

Quote Originally Posted by malkore
    what is your daily fiber intake?
    My Fitday tells me I'm averaging 38g per day. That doesn't sound like very much...

My Journal
    My Fitday

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
    Sometimes you can actually be eating to much protein. I know its rare and studies exist showing most people can handle high protein diets, but from eating 1.5g of protein times my bodyweight (Im 175 lbs so roughly 250g protein everyday) and taking creatine, my kidneys and liver went biserk. They simply couldnt handle all of the toxins being created from breaking down the protein and so I had diahrea and bad gas from my body trying to get food out of my system in a hurry. I had a healthy and nutritious diet, but it wasnt very balanced as about 45% of my calories came from protein. As a result I have elevated amounts of creatinine and BUN in my blood which are toxins your kidneys are supposed to take care of. After finding out this was happening a couple days ago from my doctor, Ive backed way off of 250gs of protein daily and am noticing hardly any diahrea/gas now. I get my blood taken again tomorrow and hopefully the creatine and BUN levels have dropped back to safe levels.

Not trying to scare you but just letting you know its a small possibility judging from your symptoms.
    So what's the answer? Is enough protein getting absorbed if you get the runs from your protein shake? I can handle time on the can as long as the protein my body needs is getting absorbed.
    My Journal My FatDay

It could be a host of things. Lactose intolerance would be my first guess, which has nothing to do with protein absorption.

The only test would be to eat the same amount of protein from a different source.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.