The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

going from bulk to cut

i won't be doing this until later in the summer, but i'm completely confused w/regards to cutting...

right now for bulking my caloric intake is around 3500/day

considering i'd have gained about 20-25lbs of muscle and fat, i really have no idea what my maintenance would be. i want to start cutting at around 190-195lbs (5'11" height)

so since during my bulk i just do 5x5 (right now with upper/lower split, 2x a week)... should i just stick to 5x5, cut calories a bit, and increase cardio (i dont do any right now but i might start doing 5-10 min of HIIT on off days) and take it easy on adding more weights per week?

how many weeks should i cut? how much weight can you lose on a cut? what's the lowest calories that are safe for a cutting diet and is there a macronutrient spread in mind for it?

is there any precautions to take transitioning from bulk to a cut and back? is it even possible to cut for a week, bulk for two weeks, etc. ? im a noob so i dunno
    Last edited by rma11; 07-04-2006 at 07:27 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig&sexy Member
    Huntsville (Northwest)/Russellville, Arkansas
    Quote Originally Posted by rma11
    i won't be doing this until later in the summer, but i'm completely confused w/regards to cutting...

right now for bulking my caloric intake is around 3500/day

1. Considering i'd have gained about 20-25lbs of muscle and fat, i really have no idea what my maintenance would be. i want to start cutting at around 190-195lbs (5'11" height)

2. So since during my bulk i just do 5x5 (right now with upper/lower split, 2x a week)... should i just stick to 5x5, cut calories a bit, and increase cardio (i dont do any right now but i might start doing 5-10 min of HIIT on off days) and take it easy on adding more weights per week?

3. How many weeks should i cut? how much weight can you lose on a cut? what's the lowest calories that are safe for a cutting diet and is there a macronutrient spread in mind for it?

4. Is there any precautions to take transitioning from bulk to a cut and back? is it even possible to cut for a week, bulk for two weeks, etc. ? im a noob so i dunno
    1. http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=811783 That site has the receipe that I used for cutting. It has a formula to figure up your caloric intake, but I think most people use a different formula.

2. I kept my workout at a 5x5 split for bench, deadlift, and squat with a 3x10 or 3x12 for the supporting excercises (rows, incline press, tricep kickbacks (KIDDING)). HIIT would be great to do, but I have only been doing HIIT since Saturday of this week.

3. I have been cutting since April 23 and am going to eat at maint. for a while after Saturday. Worked for me. I have lost (so far, official weight on Saturday) about 15 lbs and my strength is at least the same if not more.

4. There was a thread about doing something like that a little while back. Not sure what everyone decided but I think the CNS does not have enough time to adjust for such short bursts of cutting/bulking cycles...could be wrong though.

My experience Cutting. There was a period of about 2-4 weeks where I was unable to work out quite like I wanted to, but after I got to going to the Wal-Mart gym I have made gains with squat and deadlift (not sure on bench). Another suggestion I would make would be to take an EC stack. I love my stack. It is sooooo gooooood. My FitDay is ok to show what a cut looks like, but there are a few cheat days in there so ignore them. And my fitday for today is kind of extreme because I am wanting to get as ripped as I can before Satuday.
    Last edited by gains2385; 07-04-2006 at 08:07 PM.
    Personal Stats
    Bench - 315 lb's @ 1x1
    Deadlift - 365 lb's @ 3 x 5
    Squat - 255 lb's @ 5 x 5
    Fitday

Living well is the Best revenge.

Currently cutting

Quote Originally Posted by gains2385 View Post
    1. http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=811783 That site has the receipe that I used for cutting. It has a formula to figure up your caloric intake, but I think most people use a different formula.

2. I kept my workout at a 5x5 split for bench, deadlift, and squat with a 3x10 or 3x12 for the supporting excercises (rows, incline press, tricep kickbacks (KIDDING)). HIIT would be great to do, but I have only been doing HIIT since Saturday of this week.

3. I have been cutting since April 23 and am going to eat at maint. for a while after Saturday. Worked for me. I have lost (so far, official weight on Saturday) about 15 lbs and my strength is at least the same if not more.

4. There was a thread about doing something like that a little while back. Not sure what everyone decided but I think the CNS does not have enough time to adjust for such short bursts of cutting/bulking cycles...could be wrong though.

My experience Cutting. There was a period of about 2-4 weeks where I was unable to work out quite like I wanted to, but after I got to going to the Wal-Mart gym I have made gains with squat and deadlift (not sure on bench). Another suggestion I would make would be to take an EC stack. I love my stack. It is sooooo gooooood. My FitDay is ok to show what a cut looks like, but there are a few cheat days in there so ignore them. And my fitday for today is kind of extreme because I am wanting to get as ripped as I can before Satuday.

I want to try this diet, but will someone tell me how i can increase my protein intake to 285, and have my carb intake to hover around 178 on my low carb days? (Off the top of my head it seems like whey protein and water and lean meats are my only option?) Thank you!

ps: I am cutting so my calorie intake is 2000. Also my maintenance is around 2500.

my fitday

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...er=resistance1
    Last edited by ResistancE1; 09-09-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ResistancE1 View Post
    will someone tell me how i can increase my protein intake to 285
    You can increase your protein intake by eating more protein.

and have my carb intake to hover around 178 on my low carb days?
    To keep your carb intake at 178 g., try eating only 178 g. of carbs.