The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Blacking out

Blacking out

I did a quick search, couldn't find anything regarding my specific situation. Lately it seems like I nearly black out a few times on random days. It hasn't happened in a long time until today, though. I don't black out completely, but I get really lightheaded and feel like I have to grab on to something. It usually happens when I stand up too fast after bending over, or get up too fast from a sitting or lying position. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Just a little more info... I've been back on my cut for a month or so, taking in 2200-2400 cals/day, and working a moderately active job (network technician) that involves running cable and setting up computer labs in the schools here. The only supplements I'm taking are Animal Pak, ON 100% whey, fish oil, and DymaBurn Xtreme (a thermogenic from Dymatize). I just started the thermogenic on Monday with half the recommended dose, and I just started nearly blacking out today, so maybe it's the culprit here? Should I discontinue use and see what happens?

edit: I've also had a little bit of a sore throat yesterday and today, so maybe that and the head rushes means I'm coming down with something that's throwing my body off a little. I think I'll just wait it out for a few days and see what happens.
    Last edited by kad; 07-05-2006 at 05:44 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    I did a quick search, couldn't find anything regarding my specific situation. Lately it seems like I nearly black out a few times on random days. It hasn't happened in a long time until today, though. I don't black out completely, but I get really lightheaded and feel like I have to grab on to something. It usually happens when I stand up too fast after bending over, or get up too fast from a sitting or lying position. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Just a little more info... I've been back on my cut for a month or so, taking in 2200-2400 cals/day, and working a moderately active job (network technician) that involves running cable and setting up computer labs in the schools here. The only supplements I'm taking are Animal Pak, ON 100% whey, fish oil, and DymaBurn Xtreme (a thermogenic from Dymatize). I just started the thermogenic on Monday with half the recommended dose, and I just started nearly blacking out today, so maybe it's the culprit here? Should I discontinue use and see what happens?

edit: I've also had a little bit of a sore throat yesterday and today, so maybe that and the head rushes means I'm coming down with something that's throwing my body off a little. I think I'll just wait it out for a few days and see what happens.
    Can be attricuted due to your carb depletion and low blood sugar levels. I wouldn't get too alarmed as it is normal in these circumstances, you may try upping your carbs slightly and drinking more water.

Quote Originally Posted by cts122
    Can be attricuted due to your carb depletion and low blood sugar levels. I wouldn't get too alarmed as it is normal in these circumstances, you may try upping your carbs slightly and drinking more water.
    Very possible, thanks for the input. I also noticed that my neck is sore when I press on the sides, so I think I might be getting sick. I hope it goes away soon.

SEE A DOCTOR

Seriously, blacking out a number of times isn't enough to make you seek medical attention?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Sounds like Orthostatic Hypotension to me: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/o...ypotension.htm

I'd recommend increasing your fluid intake and see if that helps. Do any of your supplements have a diuretic as a component?
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

This used to happen to me all the time. I don't know why, it happens rarely these days. Getting up out of a chair or bending over and standing back up got me really light headed and dizzy. Do you actually black out though? If you do definately go see a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Seriously, blacking out a number of times isn't enough to make you seek medical attention?
    Well, I didn't actually black out completely, and I've never blacked out or fainted or anything before in my life. I just got light headed and dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by razorcut
    Sounds like Orthostatic Hypotension to me: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/o...ypotension.htm

I'd recommend increasing your fluid intake and see if that helps. Do any of your supplements have a diuretic as a component?
    Here's the ingredients of the thermogenic:
    (edit: this is for the full dosage, I've been taking half that so far before bumping it up)

Vitamin B5 (Panthothenic Acid) 40mg 400%
    Chromium (as Polynicotinate) 40mcg 33%

Ephedrina (from herbal extracts) 200mg
    (Matrix of Salvia Sclarea Extract infused w/ Proprietary
    Catechins & Epigallocatechin Gallates)
    Guarana Extract 910mg
    (Caffeine Alkaloids 300mg
    (from guarana extract & caffeine citrate)
    Yerba Mate Extract 4:1 130mg
    Citrimax (Garcinia Cambogia) 100mg
    L-Carnitine 100mg
    L-Tyrosine 100mg
    White Willow Bark 75mg
    Ginger Root 75mg
    Bladderwack 50mg
    Cayenne 50mg
    Siberian Ginseng 50mg
    (Standardized for .8% eleutherosides)
    Yohimbe 50mg
    (Standardized for 3% Yohimbine)
    Zytrix (Proprietary enzyme blend) 20mg
    Bioperine 5mg

I'm not sure which of those acts as a diuretic, other than the caffeine. Adding this is the only thing about my regime (diet, supplements, training) that's changed in the last two weeks, and I started it on Monday. I'm going to stop taking it and see if it gets better in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso
    This used to happen to me all the time. I don't know why, it happens rarely these days. Getting up out of a chair or bending over and standing back up got me really light headed and dizzy. Do you actually black out though? If you do definately go see a doctor.
    No, I don't actually black out. I just get light headed. That's why I don't think it's *that* serious, but I plan on getting to the doc and getting a physical and full bloodwork in the next couple of weeks. I haven't had that kind of a checkup in a couple of years, since before I changed my unhealthy eating habits and started lifting. I do know that my blood pressure was a 110/71 last time it was checked, which was about three weeks ago.

Thanks for all the input guys.
    Last edited by kad; 07-05-2006 at 07:49 PM.

I personally wouldnt put too much worry into it, if you are carb depleted its gonna happen and from what you have said you haven't fainted. If you just get a head rush when you stand up fast and go dizzy for a about 5-10 seconds you are experiencing syncopal episodes. These are caused by your body being in a hypoglycemic state. Up your carbs and make sure you are drinking the proper amount of water and they will go away.

If your water intake is low, realize there is no reason to dry yourself out even on a cut. People do this for shows and it is not healthy at all, avoid it if you can. It sometimes provides a quick fix my making the scale go lower and making you look slightly more cut but again avoid cutting water levels because there is simply no point to it.

To add, if you bring your carbs back to normal and you are still having problems at that point seek medical attention. You also may want to take out the thermogenic and take one step at a time, they really should come into play further into your cut when you hit a wall, maybe try just caffeine for now?

Quote Originally Posted by razorcut

maybe vagosyncope? baroreflex problem perhaps?
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

I personally wouldnt put too much worry into it, if you are carb depleted its gonna happen and from what you have said you haven't fainted. If you just get a head rush when you stand up fast and go dizzy for a about 5-10 seconds you are experiencing syncopal episodes. These are caused by your body being in a hypoglycemic state. Up your carbs and make sure you are drinking the proper amount of water and they will go away.

If your water intake is low, realize there is no reason to dry yourself out even on a cut. People do this for shows and it is not healthy at all, avoid it if you can. It sometimes provides a quick fix my making the scale go lower and making you look slightly more cut but again avoid cutting water levels because there is simply no point to it.

To add, if you bring your carbs back to normal and you are still having problems at that point seek medical attention. You also may want to take out the thermogenic and take one step at a time, they really should come into play further into your cut when you hit a wall, maybe try just caffeine for now?
    Sounds exactly like what's happening, because the only carbs I had on monday and tuesday were from the dextrose in my PWO shake. I wasn't having carbs in my solid pwo2 meal. That's probably why I was getting depleted faster. I'll start having the carbs in my pwo2 meal like normal and see if it goes away. My water intake has been fine, I've been drinking 4+ liters a day so far, and today I've already had over 5. I'm working my way up to 6L per day. My sore throat has also gone away, and my neck is no longer sore to the touch. I do have a bit of sinus drainage now though, which I think is a result of working around dusty drop ceilings and breathing concrete dust from drilling when I've been pulling network cable. Thanks again for the advice guys, I'll update this thread if anything changes.

Ive got that a few times and I got an EEG and MRI done to make sure its not a tumor... the doctor said there is nothing wrong with me and that sometimes this just happens. When you stand up too fast or something, all the blood rushes out of your head and you either get really dizzy or go completely out and find your self laying on the bathroom floor naked surrounded by the 10 towels you knocked off the rack on the way down.
    "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight!" - Ronnie Coleman

"You've got to love what you're doing. If you love it, you can overcome any handicap or the soreness or all the aches and pains, and continue to play for a long, long time." -Gordie Howe

Sounds exactly like what's happening, because the only carbs I had on monday and tuesday were from the dextrose in my PWO shake. I wasn't having carbs in my solid pwo2 meal. That's probably why I was getting depleted faster. I'll start having the carbs in my pwo2 meal like normal and see if it goes away. My water intake has been fine, I've been drinking 4+ liters a day so far, and today I've already had over 5. I'm working my way up to 6L per day. My sore throat has also gone away, and my neck is no longer sore to the touch. I do have a bit of sinus drainage now though, which I think is a result of working around dusty drop ceilings and breathing concrete dust from drilling when I've been pulling network cable. Thanks again for the advice guys, I'll update this thread if anything changes.
    If you really want to keep your carbs that low, besides pwo and ppwo, i would also make your fist meal of the day include carbs. Also do you split protein/fats or cycle calories?

So it turns out I was getting a little hypoglycemic. I had my weekly cheat day/carb up yesterday and was feeling fine all day, no head rushes or anything, so I'm good to go now.

If you really want to keep your carbs that low, besides pwo and ppwo, i would also make your fist meal of the day include carbs. Also do you split protein/fats or cycle calories?
    Yes, I split protein+carb and protein+fat meals, and have for quite some time. I find it really easy to manage. I don't intentionally cycle calories, but there's sometimes a difference of 100-200 calories from day to day. I'll experiment with having protein+carbs for breakfast this week (oats and egg whites) to start the day off and see if that affects my progress at all. I'll just have to bump up the fat content in my protein+fat meals to make up for the difference. It should be fine as long as my overall calorie levels are roughly the same, right?

So it turns out I was getting a little hypoglycemic. I had my weekly cheat day/carb up yesterday and was feeling fine all day, no head rushes or anything, so I'm good to go now.

Yes, I split protein+carb and protein+fat meals, and have for quite some time. I find it really easy to manage. I don't intentionally cycle calories, but there's sometimes a difference of 100-200 calories from day to day. I'll experiment with having protein+carbs for breakfast this week (oats and egg whites) to start the day off and see if that affects my progress at all. I'll just have to bump up the fat content in my protein+fat meals to make up for the difference. It should be fine as long as my overall calorie levels are roughly the same, right?
    I would strongly suggest the carbs in the morning, you may not think you notice a difference but it will keep your glycogen levels from going too low and in the long run you will still lose the fat you want to lose without sacrificing muscle. I think the results you get by splitting carbs and fats speak for themselves but is very hard to follow for most people and requires dedication. Keep it up!!

As far as overall calories its all your choice, because everyone does things differently. Personally I dont follow a strict carb cycling routine, however on days I dont workout, my total calories would be the same minus around 700-800 calories in carbs which would have been in my pre,post, and ppwo meals.

I'm confused however why you would raise your fats, if I were you and I added carbs in the morning I would lower your overall fats since the calories from the carbs are basically substituting for them. Do you split your calories into ratios everyday?

I would strongly suggest the carbs in the morning, you may not think you notice a difference but it will keep your glycogen levels from going too low and in the long run you will still lose the fat you want to lose without sacrificing muscle. I think the results you get by splitting carbs and fats speak for themselves but is very hard to follow for most people and requires dedication. Keep it up!!
    I will, thanks.

As far as overall calories its all your choice, because everyone does things differently. Personally I dont follow a strict carb cycling routine, however on days I dont workout, my total calories would be the same minus around 700-800 calories in carbs which would have been in my pre,post, and ppwo meals.

I'm confused however why you would raise your fats, if I were you and I added carbs in the morning I would lower your overall fats since the calories from the carbs are basically substituting for them. Do you split your calories into ratios everyday?
    I don't follow a carb cycling routine either, my carbs are usually around 130-150g a day on lifting/HIIT days. Saturdays are carb load/cheat days, and Sundays are just rest days with slightly lower carbs since I don't do anything physically active. I didn't mean that I would raise my fats, I just meant I would relocate them (and maybe lower them slightly). Normally I have 6 meals a day, the first four being p+f meals and the last two being p+c meals (pwo and ppwo). If I make meal 1 a p+c meal, I'd have to slightly bump up the fat content in meals 2-4 to make up for the difference, since I still need to meet my minimum of 70-80g fat/day. All it means is an extra half an ounce of almonds or something in those meals, so it isn't that big of a deal. I'll play around with it this week.

I used to have the same problem and it went away after I upped my calorie intake, if you crouch down then stand up and feel like your going to pass out we might have suffered from the same thing so I recomend eating more like the rest.

I will, thanks.

I don't follow a carb cycling routine either, my carbs are usually around 130-150g a day on lifting/HIIT days. Saturdays are carb load/cheat days, and Sundays are just rest days with slightly lower carbs since I don't do anything physically active. I didn't mean that I would raise my fats, I just meant I would relocate them (and maybe lower them slightly). Normally I have 6 meals a day, the first four being p+f meals and the last two being p+c meals (pwo and ppwo). If I make meal 1 a p+c meal, I'd have to slightly bump up the fat content in meals 2-4 to make up for the difference, since I still need to meet my minimum of 70-80g fat/day. All it means is an extra half an ounce of almonds or something in those meals, so it isn't that big of a deal. I'll play around with it this week.
    I would actually suggest keeping those meals the same.(meals 2, 3 and 4) and If the first meal had say 20grams of fat, replace that with around 45grams of carbs and your caroric intake levels will remain the same. Or your could keep your total fat the same (still 70-80) you may not even notice a difference either way.

I would actually suggest keeping those meals the same.(meals 2, 3 and 4) and If the first meal had say 20grams of fat, replace that with around 45grams of carbs and your caroric intake levels will remain the same. Or your could keep your total fat the same (still 70-80) you may not even notice a difference either way.
    I'll make the adjustments starting tomorrow and give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestions.