Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer Gut

delete

delete
    Last edited by mattanshrager; 03-22-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    delete this account

i guess then you're gonna have to start cutting down on eating! do you train at all?
    Last edited by getfit; 05-16-2005 at 10:40 AM.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

The gut is diet. Drop some bodyfat, and the gut will go. Not all fat is sub cutaneous - a hard beer gut is basically "marbled" fat in the muscle.

Dude I'm confused. Sounds like you have a high metabolism and "defined" abs...but they "stick out"?? Is it your build? You can be pretty lean with solid abs but your mid-section can "stick-out" from your chest on a side profile because of the way your built (curved back?) I know this because I'm the same way. Is this not what you mean?
    34 y/o, 5-10", ~210 lbs, natural
    My Training Journal

i dont understand... do you have pics of this anomoly

Hit up teh lovehandles and abs and trim some bf, by the sounds of it you may have a hyooge 6pack under it. I say this because if you see someone w/big abs gain weight, it kinda looks like what you describe. Having lovehandles exaggerates this look as visually, it removes the arc of the back to teh pelvis making it look like a straight line down(making ones standing posture look like the individual may have a big(ger) gut.).
    Last edited by AllUp; 05-16-2005 at 12:45 PM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

put this thread on hold...i'll take a flexed and nonflexed picture when i get home
    delete this account

Well at 6 ft 1 inches tall and only 175lbs you shouldn't have much a gut at all. You should only need to lose a minimum of like 20 lbs to be cut.

Last edited by mattanshrager; 05-16-2005 at 02:27 PM. Reason: link problem
    delete this account

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Well at 6 ft 1 inches tall and only 175lbs you shouldn't have much a gut at all. You should only need to lose a minimum of like 20 lbs to be cut.
    i really should have updated that weight, i put down 178 now because i'm unsure but after a heavy meal yesterday i was 183
    delete this account

Idling
    That looks like genetics, and it doesn't really look like fat as much as it is the way your body is shaped? It almost looks like your sticking out your stomach.

I agree that it's probably your body type, but I wouldn't consider it a bad thing since you have some pretty strong lifts for your size and that strong gut is a big factor. If you want your stomach to look better you should get out of the persistant bulk powerlifting sucks you into and think about cutting for a while...

Yeah - that's just the way you are built...Your abs look good IMO. Best thing you could do is work on your chest. Put some size on the pecs and the mid-section won't look like it's "sticking out" as far.
    34 y/o, 5-10", ~210 lbs, natural
    My Training Journal

Slaughter of the Soul METALASIAN's Avatar
    Maybe your stomache looks bloated from holding tons of food as opposed to having high %bf.
    Last edited by METALASIAN; 05-16-2005 at 03:30 PM.
    Weight:160 lbs.
    Height: 5'7"

So this is it, my time to live.

dont cut, that would be your worst option. your midsection looks aexactly like mine did before i put on some size in my chest. try working on your posture too. bulk up

yeah i think the problem is your posture. Stand up straight, chest out.

Wannabebig Member
    I am going to have to go with the last two responses; judging by the picture the issue really seems to be posture. You can visibily see you curving your stomach forward in the pic. Trying standing straight up with a flat back and taking a picture. From my experience my stomach looks much less bloated when I stand up with good posture (plus, at 5' 5'' I can't really let myself look much shorter = )). Also, as other people mentioned, a fuller chest (which I am sure you are working on) well help balance everything out.
    Last edited by AnOddParadigm; 05-16-2005 at 06:58 PM.
    height: 5' 5''
    weight: 140
    Deadlift: 225 (straight leg)
    Squat: 265
    Benchpress: 160 (w/dumbbells on incline. It has been a while since I tried w/Barbell, the only reason too seems to be so I can post it here in a pissing contest, ha!)

**** i got ur problem cept worse. my abs are real cut but it sticks out liek taht. some days tho my stomachs flat and sometimes it sticks out like if i eat a lot. so that could be ur problem

Wannabebig Member
    VAT maybe, visceral adipose tissue.

what is visceral adipose tissue? i found adipose tissue in the encyclopedia, nothing more. if it is what you said, how can i get rid of it?
    delete this account

HAhahahahahah......

that's no beer gut... *I'll* show you a beer gut.

kd
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010
    Bench Press 325x1 8/12/2010

Body fat, as I understand it, is either sub-cutaneous or visceral. Visceral fat is the "marbled" fat I described earlier.

I seem to recall that visceral fat responds more strongly to diet, where sub cutaneous fat responds more strongly to exercise, but it's entirely possible I got this backward.

Bump!

thanks a lot built, i WAS thinking a lot about the marbled fat you talked about earlier. i think that might be it. but back to one of my other questions frm yesterday-- is it possible for the stomach to expand and shrink in response to heavy or light amounts of food? (over time, of course)
    delete this account

Disciple#1
    yehh totally.
    gastrostenosis (gas·tro·ste·no·sis) (gas²tro-st[schwa]-no¢sis) [gastro- + stenosis] contraction or shrinkage of the stomach.

Never noticed that when you've been ill for a while (week or two with flu)and had a prolonged loss of appetite that you cant eat as much?

As you eat more (or learn to eat more as is common for peeps on a bulk) your stomach expands to compensate for the extra food and removing the uncomfortable feeling you get when you start out.
    You never know what you can do, until you try to do more than you can.

newb
    I have this same problem and wondered about it for the longest time. When I flex my abs they're defined, but relaxed it looks like I have a huge gut. I've noticed that when I eat less (read: when I'm too broke to afford food) my stomach shrinks and the effect is far less noticable. So I'm sure it'll probably be the same for you. But when I'm doing my usual bulking I end up walking around all day with my abs flexed just to hold my gut in. Talk about uncomfortable.