Thread: Bench question

Waiting for weight! Powdered_Power's Avatar

Bench question

Ive noticed that alot of guys posting here have something like: "bench press:225 x 3" or "200x1" etc in their sigs. Now my question is do you actually only do a few sets with 1-3 reps?

Im relatively new to lifting (seriously lifting for a month now), and Ive been doing 3 sets of 8 reps every time i give the incl. bench a go.

BTW, if its of any relevance my goals would be gaining size and strength but am I on the right way with my 24 reps of relatively low weight?

EDIT: also while im asking questions here, a few "experts" in my gym keep advising me that pull-ups shouldnt be done by the newbies who havent been lifting for at least a month or 4-5..? Is there any truth to this or are they just talking out of their hole basically?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Powdered_Power; 07-08-2006 at 08:17 AM.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Do reps of 5x5 for bench press/other compound lifts. This way you'll develop great strength and good muscle gains that go hand in hand. Whenever you want to max out or are in a rut switch up to 3x3.

Pullups can be done by anyone if you can actually do them. I've been lifting for years and I still cant do more then 1....
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Lifting a heavy weight for fewer reps will benefit strength moreso than size. The people with 200*1 in their sigs just wanted to know what their maximal strength is and lifted a heavy weight for a single rep. I've seen some people with xxx lbs *9 reps in their sigs, nothing wrong with that.

Also pullups are a great exercise, if you can do them definately do them. I don't know what the hell those "experts" are thinking.

Gamer/Lifter
    I personnaly do 5x5 on my bench, but when I max i'm only going after one rep.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

I think that is the most ******ed thing I've heard. Pull ups are a great exercise to do for anyone. Its recommended that kids starting out first do BW exercises such as pushups dips and pull ups. Maybe they're just embarrassed because they can't do them and you can?

5x5 is good. you might wanna throw a heavier set of 4 reps or 3 reps at the end in place one of those sets though.

And the reason for most of the people that you see bench x2 or 3 or whatever it is. Is because most people on the boards lift by themselves. You'd be crazy to go and try max 345 on bench if you're not sure you can do it in addition to the fact that weights close to your max are a pain in the ass to get off the bar in the first place. So to test your strength.. put on weight close in percentage to your expected 1RM and see how many times you can rep that out. trying 225 and repping it out 4 times before you know you're going to fail is much better than tryin to try 250 by yourself and getting crushed under the bar.. saves yourself injury and embarassment
    Last edited by dblockspky; 07-08-2006 at 02:13 PM.

on the road to a 1.2ktotal
    i think what those "experts" said that because many people struggle with pullups. if one set is hard to complete with proper form, imagine the task of completing 3-5 good sets. nevertheless pullups is a great excercise.

i second the 5x5 regiment for bench. i have been out of lifting for a hell of a long time now so i'm doing what the OP is doing (building back up with 3 x 8) for bench. once i get some of my strength and endurance back, it's time for the 5x5's. it helped me overcome my bench plateau before and i'm confident that it will work again. good luck!

oh and if you're looking for a nice finishing move for your chest routine, if you haven't already, try dips! they're great!
    19 yrs old
    5'9'' @ 165 lbs
    bf%: ?

BB Bench Press: 275 lbs
    ATG Squat: 355 lbs
    BB Deadlift: 335 lbs

Since you've been lifting for a month now, you can do the pullups, according to the experts.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.