Thread: Me doing box squats, power cleans and stuff today

Me doing box squats, power cleans and stuff today

Last edited by HeavyBomber; 07-08-2006 at 07:17 PM.

don't really know much about box squats nor have i ever squatted that heavy, but it seems that when u switch to the 12" box you bend over more when u lift off the box. And when i watched ur powercleans, (also not even close to what ur doing), try catching it with ur elbows forward more. Other than that, ur lifts are ****ing awesome and ur one strong s.o.b. You're not too small either lol, great work, u obviously know what ur doing.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

That's what I'm looking for. I'll reexamine the vids with that in mind. GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

Learning as I progress
    i have a question, what are the point of box squats? im really lost on em.

about the power cleans, the only thing ive done similar to them are the same beggining but then i push the weight up like a shoulder press, what do those power cleans work?

good lifts.
    Complication breeds desperation.

HB,you're one strong dude seriously!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I try. Thanks getfit. Luvin' your avatar.

Hey Con, I'll get with you on box squats later, I need to make something to eat for the kids right now.

Thanks again getfit. I think that's the first reply I have gotten from you

box squat title caught my eye as i'm doing them as well now, not as heavy as you but i'm trying
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Form off the lower box needs some work - you goodmorning the weight up. Not all that unusual, you need to work on your flexibility there a bit and that should fix itself.

Make sure you are sitting back - it looks like you try to start by sitting back - and arch hard!

The 405 off the low box looked really easy for you. You are good for a lot more than that.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Really drive the head back off the box, it might help you get your hips through so you don't GM it up.

Those power cleans looked easy, but they'd be a lot easier if you used your hips!! Really explode your hips into the bar as you approach full extension.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Putting the camera flat instead of on its side would make it alot easier to judge form... atleast I think.

Thanks for the observations fellas. Appreciate it much. I do have a tendency to GM my squats. My posterior is my strength. My quads are not nearly as good. I do need to drive my head back more too.
    Thanks, you gave me some good things to work on.

surprised your cleans are not higher then that, after seeing your strength in other thing

regardless, great job on it all
    Height: 6' 1/2" Age: 24

Current Status: The brace is off....
    Weight: 208 lbs.

Back in action...

Quote Originally Posted by emjlr3
    surprised your cleans are not higher then that, after seeing your strength in other thing

regardless, great job on it all
    Yeah, I know. Honestly though, I did those cleans right after the box squats and I was not explosive at all. You're right though, if I could nail the form better I could move more weight.

you own man
    2000 or bust

is way too skinny!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp
    you own man
    No ****, your lifts are flat out incredible and my only comment is does it hurt when you bounce the bar off your knees (that is the way it looks) on the cleans? That would be painful I would think..

Badass lifter man, I hope I see your levels someday.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber
    Does those box squats kill your knees?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Bull
    Does those box squats kill your knees?
    Not for me, my hamstrings do all the driving off the box so I don't really feel anything. Use knee sleeves if you feel any kind of tension.

wow very strong..and that gym plays good music..im jealous

Quote Originally Posted by pbfreak9999
    wow very strong..and that gym plays good music..im jealous
    There is also noone else there, that would be great at my gym.

Box Squats - All GM'ing, etc. aside, it just looks like you're thinking too much about the box beneath you instead of just squatting the weight. You had your ass ready to plant before you ever took the bar off the rack. It seemed like once you hit the box, you were done thinking about any of the movement and just going back up to rack it--all form out the window.

Power Cleans - You're so ****ing strong, you didn't even need your legs..lol...You basically SLDL'd and upright rowed those into position. The legs can do a ton of the work on those, allowing you to set your arms just right as the bar is moving with mostly momentum from the initial explosion. You pretty much just muscled the bar into position. I bet you've got another 100lbs in you on those, with proper technique.

Not that I'm an authority, but that's definitely how I feel when I do them. I do a lot of standing millies, and always clean the weight into position.

I love some reverse curls. I switched to doing them at the cable station, though, because I figured if I could get my hands in a harness or loop handle of some sort, I could move more weight and not be bound by the grip on the bar. They're really stressful on the thumb, when done with a bar.

But you probably already pwn all the cable stacks and have no choice but to do it with a bar....lol
    Last edited by Patz; 08-11-2006 at 08:41 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Awesome lifts. That wouldn't happen to be AEC Fitness (i think that's what it's called) is it? I lift there 2 out of 3 months of the summer every year. It's a great place, awesome music (always oldies rock or something good to hype you up) Great job man.

Biggie Smalls
    Looks too me like you stick your butt out right at the beginning of your squats. You definitely have the strength man, I just think you might want to focus on trying to keep that back as straight as possible. Keep the abs tight. Power cleans were nice.

Jon 'Cra-Z' Mahoney
    ----------------------
    Current stats: | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 183.1lbs. | Left bicep: 13.9" | Right bicep: 14.2" | Right forearm: 12.8" | Left forearm: 12" | Left quad: 23" | Right quad: 23" | Hips: 40" | Waist: 32.5" | Left calf: 14.1" | Right calf: 15" | Chest: 40" | Shoulders: 48.3"
    (All as of October 4th, 2006, except weight is as of November 13th, 2006.)
    Recovering from a broken leg, just getting back to legs.

Personal bests:
    Bench: 230 lbs. (10/20/06) | Squat: 405 lbs. | Deadlift: 405 lbs. (10/23/06)