Thread: job advice needed...to interview or not to interview

Hybrid View

Banned

job advice needed...to interview or not to interview

ok, so my summer is coming to a close, and i was recently offered an interview at circuit city. they want me to go in next monday (17th) to interview, however a month from that date i go back to school, so basically i would only be working there for 3 weeks before i go back to school, and i dont think circuit city knows that. i worked at best buy for nearly a year before, so i think i would require at best 2 days training, and thats just to learn the computer systems and some product.

so basically, what do i tell them during the interview? that they called me right before i was about to go back to school? i filled out the application nearly 2 months ago, and they just contact me now, so i dont know what to say to them.

i could tell them that i could come back and work 3 day weekends once to twice a month, though the 3 hour drive would suck. also i think they have a circuit city 45 minutes from my school, so maybe i could transfer for the school year and come back for holidays and whatever else. anyways, what would you guys do? you leave for school in 5 weeks and just now got an interview at a job you would really like. do i tell them at the interview or do i not say anything if i get the job and just tell them before im about to leave?

F*ck it, lift more.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markdk86
    F*ck it, lift more.
    wow. worst post of all time.

We can't tell you what will make you happy. Only you can decide and you already listed the possible options.

1) Work, quit in three weeks or ask to be transfered

2) Decline the interview

Not too freaking hard. Either you need money or you don't. This isn't bipass surgery.

Banned
    We can't tell you what will make you happy. Only you can decide and you already listed the possible options.

1) Work, quit in three weeks or ask to be transfered

2) Decline the interview

Not too freaking hard. Either you need money or you don't. This isn't bipass surgery.

or maybe im asking because i want to know different ways to approach this to still get the job and let them know that i am going to school soon as well?

smartass

Also if you work and leave in three weeks, it isn't going to cause the company problems for a palce like Circuit City.

Also if you work and leave in three weeks, it isn't going to cause the company problems for a palce like Circuit City.
    I have to disagree. They will still be spending time and effort to complete new hire paperwork and conduct orientation/training, which could last a few days. If they need someone longer than 3 weeks, then they're going to be pissed when they have to do the same thing with another new hire 3 weeks down the road.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd call the interviewing manager and let them know your situation. They will no doubt appreciate you being up front and giving them the opportunity to decide if hiring someone for 3 weeks will fit their needs and/or be worth their time.

If you get hired without telling them, then there's a really good chance they will be pissed when you clue them in. What are you going to do, work 1 week and then give them 2 weeks notice? That's no good.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -TIM-
    I have to disagree. They will still be spending time and effort to complete new hire paperwork and conduct orientation/training, which could last a few days. If they need someone longer than 3 weeks, then they're going to be pissed when they have to do the same thing with another new hire 3 weeks down the road.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd call the interviewing manager and let them know your situation. They will no doubt appreciate you being up front and giving them the opportunity to decide if hiring someone for 3 weeks will fit their needs and/or be worth their time.

If you get hired without telling them, then there's a really good chance they will be pissed when you clue them in. What are you going to do, work 1 week and then give them 2 weeks notice? That's no good.

so you guys think i should tell them at the interview about my situation and going back to school? then they could hire and train me and i would be available to work for thanksgiving and christmas breaks, its one less temporary employee they would have to hire and train.
    Last edited by greathuskie; 07-10-2006 at 02:31 PM.

How about telling them at the interview?

If they can work with it they will hire you, it is that simple.
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    call them up and ask if leaving in 3 weeks is going to be an issue, theres no point in wasting time for an interview when a simple phone call would suffice and unless this is a management or higher position (which I doubt), dont offer to do the twice a 3 day weekend bit, it'd be a college job and in retail its not worth the loyalty to them when they have no loyalty to you
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Interview. Tell them. Let them decide. You have no guilt about it.

/fin

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    Interview. Tell them. Let them decide. You have no guilt about it.

/fin
    :withstupi Just make sure you wear your Chuck Taylors.. b/c Mr Elwood wouldn't

But, in the realm of life, each interview you participate can benefit you in the long run.. getting ready, answering question intelligently and being honest. Tell them nothing but the truth, let them decide if you are valuable enough and worth training for 3 weeks. They may be deperate and need immediate fill in the gap help, they may be looking for long term...

Screw the interview

Lift more.
    Eszekial's Journal
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200
    Body Fat: 12%
    Bench: 265x3
    ATFSquat: 315x3
    Dead: 275x3

Banned
    the thing is i wont need any training. hardly any, actually, i worked at best buy for nearly a year and was one of the best sellers in the store, so i know how to sell and i know the products very well, the only thing they would have to train me on is the computer systems they use their, and that cant take more then a day.

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    the thing is i wont need any training. hardly any, actually, i worked at best buy for nearly a year and was one of the best sellers in the store, so i know how to sell and i know the products very well, the only thing they would have to train me on is the computer systems they use their, and that cant take more then a day.
    Right.. so maybe you are a worthy 3 week gamble for them if they need IMMEDIATE help..

But, I was talking about you.. interviews are great learning experiences.. if you go in knowing that.. especially at a young age (<25).. winning a job - it builds confidence... loosing a job - it build character and knowledge..

As with lifting & diet.. you don't always get things right the 1st time.. but as you gain the experience, you become better.. more efficient.. etc..

Dude..don't wear the Chucks.

Save them for the night you watch "Hoosiers."

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Banned
    i dont think im going to tell them at the interview...
    i think im just going to take the job and tell them 2 weeks in (hopefully i will be doing very good at this point) that ive decided to go back to school, but i would appreciate it if they could keep me on for holidays and breaks, and will tell them it would be good for them because then they dont have to train someone else etc...