Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Max Overhead Squat Challenge!!!

Max Overhead Squat Challenge!!!

After a thread about overhead squats in the GPP forum: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=79537 , a few of us are planning on doing a max or near-max overhead squat attempt in the next week or so and comparing how we do as a % of bodyweight.

Feel free to join in on the fun and report your results here!

If you win, here's what you get!
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-23-2006 at 07:45 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

What does last place get ?
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Last place gets this:
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Banned
    well I went ahead and gave these a shot today for the first time after some deads (which it appears I am retrogressing on) and did a few at 95, loaded up 115 and could barely keep it stable standing still at that point. soo

95@165bdwt = 57.5%

I refuse to participate on the grounds of me dying.

Okay, I'll try for at least 100lbs tomorrow.

It's funny, I was actually trying these yesterday after my last standing military presses. I managed 3 with 155. I almost lost balance on the second one but kept going. They are tough indeed. I could probably do one with 175 or so. Perhaps I'll try in the next few days.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Oh hell. I'm in.
    I'll try to max tonight before I do my real squats.
    Hopefully I don't die- my scariest gym moment to date was losing my balance and falling over during a set of OH squats.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    Oh hell. I'm in.
    I'll try to max tonight before I do my real squats.
    Hopefully I don't die- my scariest gym moment to date was losing my balance and falling over during a set of OH squats.
    Geez, don't go in with thoughts like that! If you lose control of the weight, just drop it in front or behind you and get out of the way!

Yeah, I'm gonna have to pass on that one. Good luck guys.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Will definatley give these a try tomorrow! Will only do OH squats, and nothing else cuz tomoz im supposed to be resting, but im up for a challenge! hehe. Im pretty confident I can get a 90% bodyweight Overhead squat for reps (which would be about 139 - 140lbs depending on what I weigh) . Is the challenge an ATF Overhead Squat? Or just as far as we can go below paralell?
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 05-24-2006 at 05:20 PM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Quote Originally Posted by drew
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to pass on that one. Good luck guys.
    Wimp
    My Journal

It's an informal contest, so I guess it's as deep as you feel is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    It's an informal contest, so I guess it's as deep as you feel is necessary.
    okie shomkey What can you OH squat Sensei? or what do u think u can do
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 05-24-2006 at 05:27 PM.
    My Journal

Mint
    Yeah, but you only win the picture of the beer if you go ATF.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    Yeah, but you only win the picture of the beer if you go ATF.
    LOL!

I'd have to check old logs, but I'm pretty sure I've done 180ish for a triple. I'd be giddy if I could get bodyweight (right now about 195).

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    LOL!

I'd have to check old logs, but I'm pretty sure I've done 180ish for a triple. I'd be giddy if I could get bodyweight (right now about 195).
    wow impressive! Was that cleaned up also? Cuz im gonna have to clean the weight up. I Might even Snatch the weight up.
    My Journal

No, I take it from the racks and push press it into position usually. Props to you if you are cleaning it too!

Banned
    day after all I have to say is: holy sore traps batman. I know DOMS isn't a sign of a "good" workout, but I could feel them working double duty when I was doing them too.

115lbs.

My serratus is too under developed to support the weight once I lock it out and get my ass to grass. I'm sure I could nail 150 within a month.

wow just this minute tried them and I only put up 50kg (110lbs) Max. (didnt want to try any higher cuz my form would suffer greatly.)
    Well first time ive ever done these, Im definately gonna keep them going though. Felt very strange first time. I had to do tonnes of rotater stuff this morning, and stretches and things, so that my arms could actually stay above my head when i bent down. Im gonna try them again later see if I can get 60kg. Definatley a great core builder!
    So as it stands my OH Squat max is 70% of my bodyweight. Quite low, I want at leastr a bodyweight pretty damn soon. Try for an 85% of bodyweight OH Squat later on.....
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 05-25-2006 at 04:47 AM.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k
    115lbs.

My serratus is too under developed to support the weight once I lock it out and get my ass to grass. I'm sure I could nail 150 within a month.
    Well, im sure if you keep these OH squats up, your serratus will become much more developed. as will mine. Damn i cant get over how hard these ****ers are! lol
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 05-25-2006 at 04:59 AM.
    My Journal

I have never done these before until now and WOW they are hard. I got 135, sheesh hard to balance
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Looks like I'm winning so far. Mmmmmmmm....Beeerrrr.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

How about we give everyone until July 1st to get their numbers in? Is that too long?

Mint
    110 @ 160. I missed with 115 and REALLY MISSED with 125. I have no problem extending the contest out to July first, especially since I'm losing
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.